• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MTV come to the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have been through that exact trainer, and it is no joke, you get smashed around by the water, and it is impossible to communicate. Plus, the water is friggin COLD!! There are various leaks and holes around the trainer, and you have to prioritize and tackle each one, you have to hit the lower leaks first before the water level rises. You also have to get the eductor up and running and get water pumped out. Also you have to relay to control to secure power or you "electrocute" (simulated) yourselves and get points take away in the end for that. The biggest and highest pressure hole in a pipe is up high along the back wall, and shoots straight across the trainer, they love to turn that one on and hit some unsuspecting SOB on the opposite side of the trainer, more than a fire hose at full bail turned on you! It sucks when the water starts coming up and you start floating, your freezing, and your hands are numb, and you are trying to put a patch on a pipe, and you can't hear or barely see the person right next to you.

There is another trainer called the "buttercup" used by the Surface Navy that is similar in nature, and you have to stop the ship from sinking using their variety of patches. And unlike the sub trainer it actually moves!

There are also the DC fire fighter trainers that are alot fun also, all of them teach the necessary steps to help teamwork. Good stuff. Thanks for putting up that article.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea, that Buttercup trainer was one hell of a good time...no joke. As long as everyone works together and communicates effectively, you "save the ship" by stopping all of the leaks, holes and overall flooding. Although I did go through the one up in Newport while I was in SWOS, the submariners that I know that have been through both the submarine wet trainer and the surface ship wet trainer say that the submarine is much more difficult. I think this is mostly because there are no rated Damage Controlmen onboard the submarine like there is on a ship. Hell, on the ship, there is a whole divsion of damage control personnel and the division officer is the Damage Control Assistant (ie: the XO is the Damage Conrol Officer). In any case, any of you who get a chance to go through any wet trainer would be well served. You get to put a lot of book knowledge to practical applicatin.

--Steve Wilkins

Status
Not open for further replies.