• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MSRON-12 & IP Billet

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
All,

I'm currently an IP select awaiting my COMDOCS and I'm curious about something. My select letter shows my unit as MSRON-12 and my Designator as 1825. I looked up this unit and I'm wondering why I’d be assigned to this unit and not to an IP centric unit. In addition I noticed in JO Apply that some positions actually say "This is not an MSRON-12 Billet" for 1825s. So it begs the questions, is a MSRON-12 billet detrimental to me somehow? What’s the deal with this unit in relation to IP billets?

I’m trying to start my career off on the right track and don’t want to get bamboozled

Thanks in advance!

BigRed389

None
I don't know enough about the Reserves manning or the IP community in general to say if it's detrimental to you or not.

I did spend a few weeks ago working with a Reserve MSRON unit. They had an IP officer who was the unit's COMMO.

Not every support community starts off or stays in a support-centric unit. Most have operational "sea" tours where you directly support an operational unit.

Also, MSRON's are merging with RIVRON's. If "they" stay true to their word, there's not supposed to be any change to how the Reserve side other than the name and org chart.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Ok so hold on to your hat this could get bumpy. I was a select from the March board as well. I commissioned back on June 5th. My “billet” is the GNOSC at NNWC. I live in Florida and am “Cross Assigned” to NIOC Pensacola. This NIOC is not IP heavy (me, another select and a WO) but the IP School and CID are located on the same base as the NIOC. One of our other fellow selects is billeted to a unit in Akron OH and is Cross assigned here as well. She also lives here in Florida. We both start drilling in July and I will know more about how that works as time goes on. IP Billets are very hard to get at the O1 level as we are manned at over 100%.
Being assigned to MSRON-12 may or may not be a bad thing. It just depends on if you can drill or be in touch with other IPs. From what I can tell IPs do a lot of video teleconferences for training and such. If you are drilling there in the Norfolk area then there is a good chance you will be able to meet up with other IPs locally and get up to speed that way. At some point you will be assigned an IP Mentor and some of this stuff you can run by them.

PM me and we can talk more.