• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving out of Pensacola for Primary

jkramb89

I just wanted to see if anyone had any good gouge on what those of us who went IRR can expect as far as what kind of move we get to primary.

The PPO is telling us we only get 600 lbs out of here unless we use our Home of Record Move (only to be used if we owned everything we have here prior to commissioning). I set my move up to be the HOR with two shipments to Corpus Christi: one HHG and one PPM (DITY).

If I ship more than 600 lbs is the Navy going to come back in a few months and say that I now owe them for the extra weight that I shipped? I've also heard that using the HOR move at this point is stupid, but what else could it be used for?

Finally, why don't we get a full PCS to Corpus Christi when that's what we were promised and that's our first Permanent Duty Station????

Just seems like we're getting screwed and there's nothing to do about it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The HOR move can come in handy. But you only get one per career. Best used for your first move into a non-BOQ home, IMO. I lived in the Q for API and Primary, and then had my folks ship me a bunch of stuff when I went to Meridian.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yup, it kinda sucks. Welcome to what every single stud deals with. The general way most folks I knew did it was to do what you needed to in API (furnished places, move a few things on your own dime, buy Target/NEX brand cheap furniture) and then burn your HOR going to Primary in Corpus or Milton. Most single SNA studs had places near NAS Pensacola (or UWFish, halfway between NASP and NAS Whiting) for IFS/A-Pool and then moved to Corpus/Milton and had their stuff delivered there.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Do you guys really own more than 600 lbs of stuff?

Coming through OCS, yes. I was living on my own for 2 years before the Navy, so I had a whole 1BR apartment worth of stuff. I think it weighed out to 3.5kish when I Home of Record moved it from PCola to Corpus. Unless that was sarcastic and I missed it. :confused:

Th3HumbleMuffin

Blunt-force method
In the same boat right now. If you have the space in your car as to only have the government ship 600 lbs you won't get screwed and have to pay anything back--you just won't get reimbursed for weight hauled in your POV. That's my strategy anyway.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Primary for Navy guys isn't considered a Permanent Change of Station - if you read your orders carefully, it will say something to the effect of temporary duty involving flight activity. When you get to Advanced, you get a full PCS as it is considered a Permanent Change of Station.

Does it kind of suck? Yeah. Buuut, you'll get DLA which is about $2,000 so suck up some money and make the move. Find a group of guys and split a U-Haul (worked out real well for us) and load down your car to get reimbursed for that (up to 600 lbs) and have the Government take your pro-gear (books, issued computer if you have one, etc.). I had them take like 90 lbs and the movers were obviously a little angry it was all of 3 boxes they had to come out for, but hey, that's 90 lbs the gov't took without it going against my 600 lb limit, then I loaded up my car with 600 lbs of stuff to get reimbursed, and the rest I split even with a couple friends who got a U-Haul.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Unless that was sarcastic and I missed it. :confused:
Nope, no sarcasm... I went from college living (barely enough stuff for a bedroom) to API/Primary without having much more than a bed, a laptop, clothes/uniforms and my car.

Renegade One

None
Me and squorch2: same-o same-o. I think my "arrival load" in P-cola was a DOPP kit and about half of my wardrobe (tucked nicely into the trunk of my totally awesome 1967 VW Fastback). But...I do understand that many of you come from different "post-college" environments. Good advice above...figger it out and plan to burn the benefits most advantageously in your own situation. I'm favorably impressed that you have such early insights into the processes. Me? Totally clueless at the time. I think I left P-cola with 'everything I owned'...which then fit nicely into the back seat of my "Ensign-mobile" (1963 Corvette convertible...) to Glynco, GA, and then out to Miramar, CA. Life changed rapidly after that...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Agree on the U-Haul. I'll bet there are even some gents on this very forum that might beP-cola bound around the same time as you. Have the movers ship the big stuff, pack your crap up (even better, throw most of your shit out) and enjoy the road trip in a 270 air conditioned box truck.

I would not burn your HOR move. Think about it: how much shit do you have right now? 2, maybe 3000 pounds if you have a lot? Now, compare that to how much you're going to have when you are stationed at your EOT duty location, with a wife, dog, 1.7 kids, and a 4 BR/ 3 Bath mcmansion. Unless you're lucky enough to work orders where you want to retire, that HOR move is much more valuable then than it is right now moving your lava lamp, futon, and natty ice box cowboy hats.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
I would not burn your HOR move. Think about it: how much shit do you have right now? 2, maybe 3000 pounds if you have a lot? Now, compare that to how much you're going to have when you are stationed at your EOT duty location, with a wife, dog, 1.7 kids, and a 4 BR/ 3 Bath mcmansion. Unless you're lucky enough to work orders where you want to retire, that HOR move is much more valuable then than it is right now moving your lava lamp, futon, and natty ice box cowboy hats.

+ 1,000,000. Save it for getting out, it was awful nice to have Uncle foot the bill for my cross country move instead of me staring at the 5k bill for the cost. I sucked it up and U-haul'd my trash from seattle to pcola when I got in (which was not much $$), and I sure as fuck was not going to stay in Lemoore when I got out, HOR move or not. I saved my HOR for this very reason.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... my arrival load" in P-cola was a DOPP kit and about half of my wardrobe (tucked nicely into the trunk of my totally awesome 1967 VW Fastback). .... . Life changed rapidly after that...

Back in the day, QD watch aboard Light Cruiser preparing to deploy from Long Beach to WESTPAC. Shinny nosed Ensign reporting aboard wanted help getting his "gear" aboard. Assigned a small working party that shortly returned reporting that the said gear consisted of 7 very large steamer trunks, two of which were filled with a prized record collection consisting of perhaps a thousand records. Also at issue was what the new Ensign was supposed to do with his brand new Lincoln Continental convertible.
FALCON 110.

Renegade One

None
Back in the day, QD watch aboard Light Cruiser preparing to deploy from Long Beach to WESTPAC. Shinny nosed Ensign reporting aboard wanted help getting his "gear" aboard. Assigned a small working party that shortly returned reporting that the said gear consisted of 7 very large steamer trunks, two of which were filled with a prized record collection consisting of perhaps a thousand records. Also at issue was what the new Ensign was supposed to do with his brand new Lincoln Continental convertible.
FALCON 110.
Nothing like making your reputation early! I'm sure he was told he'd be assigned his personal "bat man" on arrival at his first command.