• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational statement for OCS selection

Chris94

CWO selected
I've been working on this for quite a while and wanted to receive some feedback before I send it off to my officer recruiter.
Any advice, criticism, etc. is appreciated!

"My Desire To Serve

Truthfully, serving my country wasn’t always at the forefront of my mind. It wasn’t until high school that I really started considering the military as a path. Ever since that point, I’ve had my sights set on becoming a Naval Officer and being afforded the opportunity to earn the title of Naval Aviator.
I have grown up being exposed to aviation for as long as I can remember. With both of my parents being commercial airline pilots, taking lessons, and being constantly exposed to aviation I have always been drawn to it. The military aspect, on the other hand, is something that wasn’t really presented to me while growing up. Neither of my parents took the military route and only my grandfathers had ever served, one in the US Navy and the other in the Merchant Marine. What really drew me to the military aspect of aviation was the fact that I would be able to serve my country while also doing something I am already passionate about.
The idea of serving my country occurred to me over time and through experiences. I always knew the military was an option and as I grew older I decided to explore that option more. Through receiving information from ex-military pilots that my parents flew commercially with as well as a family friend who was currently going through flight school for the Navy gave me a wealth of information about serving as an aviator. One aspect that they all stressed was the desire to lead as an officer was to be at the forefront. That I was to be a Naval Officer first and an Aviator second. The way I see it is being an officer and leader in the Navy is an extraordinary honor, only to be enhanced by earning the opportunity to be a Naval Aviator.
From high school graduation to this point, there have been many obstacles and several failures. Those failures though, have helped me learn and grow academically and morally in ways that will be invaluable during a Naval career. When I misstepped, no matter what the situation was, I always worked hard to correct it while owning up to it personally. Owning up to one’s mistakes instead of trying to cover for yourself makes a significant difference, especially in dangerous environments. I know that’s a valuable attribute for a Naval Officer.
Leadership is perhaps one of the most valuable skill sets that an Officer must possess. I wasn’t a natural leader from the beginning. It wasn’t until the end of high school and beginning of college that I took up leadership positions in order to start organizations. In high school, I created and ran a foundation that raised money for a non-profit in Southern Africa and it was in college that I founded and was the chair of political activism group. Creating both organizations not only took time and effort, but also leadership. Whether it was planning meetings, delegating duties, or assigning positions, it all took initiative and a goal-oriented attitude. During the processes of creating the organization in college, I was handling coursework, keeping in shape, trying to maintain a social life, and also putting about 2 hours or more every day into making the organization what it is today.
For any group to be successful, teamwork is necessary. There is strength in numbers, but only if those numbers work together in a cohesive fashion. Being a founding member of my college’s first fraternity in 13 years required a lot of teamwork. Whether it was sifting through the university bureaucracy or enticing students to support greek life, it wouldn’t have happened if we all didn’t work together. I understand the value of teamwork and the way it forges camaraderie between members which, in turn, boosts morale and ultimately increases the effectiveness of the task at hand. Being able to come together for a common good is absolutely necessary within life and within the military.
Becoming a Naval Officer is more than just earning the opportunity to be an aviator. It’s an opportunity to serve a country that has given me so many opportunities throughout my life. A chance to lead others and have the responsibility of defending the United States from enemies foreign and domestic by any means necessary including one’s life. It is an honor that I have been working and striving towards for the past 8 years with an ultimate willingness to do anything it takes to achieve it. Thank you for the consideration."