• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Recent Age Waivers

lawilm

I have had to battle an illness for the last year or so which I have finally overcome thankfully. I am resetting my goals and want to get back to try and go for a Air Contract. My Current Age is 27. I know there has been some back and forth over the years for the age thing and have every intention of calling the local OSO tomorrow. In the meantime I just wanted to know if with the current needs of the Corps if it seems remotely reasonable that I can still get one (waiver?).

No prior service.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the meantime I just wanted to know if with the current needs of the Corps if it seems remotely reasonable that I can still get one (waiver?)
I don't believe anyone here could even begin to answer that question. Depends a lot on the particulars of your year-long illness, and would require consultation with aero-medical experts (Flight Surgeons).
BzB

lawilm

Thank you. Long short though on the illness was an colon infection that 7 doctors screwed up and never probably fixed until 1 whiz Doctor figured out where they were messing up. Found it removed it and I have been cleared with a clean bill of health and no restrictions. Though again I know that would be another factor for a medical professional.

I guess my real question should be "with the medical issue aside" are waivers still possible just considering my age?

OscarMyers

None
FWIW, I turned 29 in January and have 11 years in the Navy. I am an SNFO at API and requested to re-designate to SNA which would have required a waiver for the age waiver. Divo sent an email to the Student detailer who clarified that i wasn't commissioned by my 29th birthday there-for not eligible. That was also seconded by the Pers-43 skipper, who would have had to sign off on it. That was just my situation, every one is different. The worst they can do is say no. Also my only disqualifying condition was being old-balls.

exNavyOffRec

On the USN side you must be commissioned by 27 for non prior, I believe the USMC is the same, for USN if you are over the age limit your application never goes to board.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Call the OSO. Like BZB alluded to there are a lot of factors that go into deciding if the OSO would even send an age waiver up the chain.

Some things that might be in your favor: Did you apply for any sort of commissioning program before your illness? If so that may look good for you since it shows determination. What do you do for work currently? A high profile, physically/mentally demanding job can be good too. How is your PFT score? The word from my OSO, they WILL NOT even look at an applicant for age waiver without at least a 280. Do you have any sort of real world leadership experience? At your age the OSO is going to look for more than college clubs and frat president, unless you just got out of college.

I am in a similar situation, kinda. I was originally found NPQ in 2005 when I was applying for PLC (Empyema resulting from pneumonia). After more than a few more NPQ letters, lots of doctors visits and letters written by the doctors I was finally found PQ for commissioning in January 2012. My age waiver request is somewhere up the chain right now. I hope to hear back within the month. Then of course is the 1 in a few thousands chance I will actually be selected for OCS which will start another journey in and of itself.

As for right this moment there is not much to do, you can familiarize yourself with the NAVMED Chapter 15 and the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide. See what applies to you and learn as much as you can about the process. Call the OSO and set up an appointment, you don't have any time to waste now.

Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions. Oh yeah, and just beware, active duty boards are few and far between. Look into OCC-R too.

lawilm

Thank you guys who have responded. I got off the phone with the OSO, he indicates that he has sent people up older than me and they are shipping out to OCC. The talk did come up to OCC-R. Like many of you touched on, being a PT STUD will be a must for me and people like me to prove I can hang with the younger cats. I won't lie I can sure feel how my body doesn't like things as much as it did when I was a 18 year old.

Things that are going for me it seems from my conversation is that I am presently the Captain over a SWAT team and have some well documented real world leadership experience under pressure. It seems they are going to try and capitalize on that to give me an edge. Right now I am just responsible for getting my own crap together.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Far be it for me to claim knowledge on this subject, but I believe there are NO age-waivers entertained for non-priors. Even as it is, judging from the above poster, even those WITH prior service are being turned down for the waivers, given the fact that they are getting a TON of applicants with no need for waivers.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Doubtful, the OSO is not going to do work that he/she does not have to. As Otto said there are a plethora of applicants right now. If there were a 0.00% chance of selection due to age or you were a shitbag the OSO most likely would not waste time on you.

Sounds like you have some very good credentials. Keep us updated on how it works out for you. Do you want to go Air or Ground?

exNavyOffRec

Doubtful, the OSO is not going to do work that he/she does not have to. As Otto said there are a plethora of applicants right now. If there were a 0.00% chance of selection due to age or you were a shitbag the OSO most likely would not waste time on you.

Sounds like you have some very good credentials. Keep us updated on how it works out for you. Do you want to go Air or Ground?

Actually you would be surprised at what recruiters do or who they work with that have no chance, I have seen this first hand with some people I worked with, and joked about some of the people recruiters have worked with while talking to other service recruiters.

In some cases it is due to recruiters not being informed of what their headquarters has put out.

lawilm

Air Contract is what I am really banking on. We will see... I will certainly keep everyone updated, apparently I am slated for the board that is 6 months out which would mean I would just have turned 28, but the oso stated a waiver for 27 1/2 and 28 isn't going to make an enormous difference apparently.

lawilm

So ..been searching deep on the boards here from archive 2003 to recent there is generally a large group saying basically "no way" to age waivers... Then an occasional group popping in saying no it happens yada yada, others say its statutory law, I can't find such statutes that restrict it (43 is all I can find with a subtext indicating services can set their own requirements which may be regulation). Again Non-prior here talking. I will be clear up front that no matter what I am willing to be a Marine regardless of an air contract but I do want to try and fight for what I want if I can....

My meeting/sit down with my OSO is the 16th of this month. I went ahead and took the liberty to do all the paperwork I found on another OSO site they have all the forms listed to prove to my OSO I am serious about this for what that is worth. Remember its my OSO that said "age waivers happen and he has a couple guys up right now in a similar situation", be that a truth or not (I really don't want to find out he is bullshitting me as I expect much more out of him than that).

**On with the question**

Would it look bad or be extreme D-Baggery if I were to use some political connections to be ready to contact NAMI to help my case if the OSO actually sends one up for me? I really honestly don't want anyone to think I am flaunting this in a sense of showing off, please. It just so happens that from my profession I deal with US Senate/Congressmen routinely and even have a cousin who just finished out a term as a US Senator. All expressing their willingness to do whatever they can to aid me. I am asking this for two reasons:

1. Is it morally right or am I just being selfish and do what I can through the USMC Channels. I know the world is all about who you know, I see it in my job all the time. I just don't want to the plan to backfire. If it did happen to certainly would keep it to myself naturally.

2. If anyone knows of some written code of law that it would not simply would not help? I ask that because they would be willing to see what they can do but if you think its simply an impossibility I don't want to waste their time.

This sorta thing has me torn as I also don't ever want to feel a regret that should it actually be successful (no guarantee) that I should feel any remorse for doing it. I say that because so many of you here are what I hope to be and I applaud all of you for what you do. Here I just spawned an interest I found late in life.

lawilm

Th
Far be it for me to claim knowledge on this subject, but I believe there are NO age-waivers entertained for non-priors. Even as it is, judging from the above poster, even those WITH prior service are being turned down for the waivers, given the fact that they are getting a TON of applicants with no need for waivers.
Thank you for your input

exNavyOffRec

Would it look bad or be extreme D-Baggery if I were to use some political connections to be ready to contact NAMI to help my case if the OSO actually sends one up for me? I really honestly don't want anyone to think I am flaunting this in a sense of showing off, please. It just so happens that from my profession I deal with US Senate/Congressmen routinely and even have a cousin who just finished out a term as a US Senator. All expressing their willingness to do whatever they can to aid me. I am asking this for two reasons:

Any political connections couldn't do anything, NAMI goes by what the standard is and what is allowable to waiver, they aren't going to put their license on the line because some politician called about someone, crap I had one kid who's uncle was a 2 star and knew the CNO and no one cared, he didn't meet the medical requirements to come in.

I have seen the end result of politicians being involved, it usually ends with a letter from the politician to the individual saying something like "I rec'd a letter from MEPS/N3M/etc.... and was informed that you do not meet established medical standards for entrance.

think of this, if the doc did give you a pass because of some politician then you were in training and something happened medically, they look over your record and then go back to the doc and ask why when you didn't meet medical qualification, what is he going to say, I waived him because of some politician called, now not only is the doc in hot water you have a lot of attention on other people.

I am not sure what they had to do to fix you colon issue, it may be that medical is the least of your worries, or not, some issues require a specific amount of waiting time to ensure there are no problems.