• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MOS Placement and Air Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

reapergm

I was just wondering a few things for those who have any info. First is when do you choose your MOS (or the top 3 right?)? Second, Ive been told that they usually offer up some Air slots, when does this take place, and what do you have to do to grab it? 3rd, have any air slots opened up this TBS session yet? I have to contract this week, and Im really debating on whether to sign ground or wait for an air slot to open. (Yeah, I want to be a Marine officer first, but why not wait if there is an opportunity in the future?)

riley

I remember seeing a post somewhere saying that they offered up 19 Air slots for ground guys at TBS. Don't know wwhen that was.

riley

I just realized my last reply was like saying, "I heard it from a friend who's cousin's friend's brother was told it by someone who knew someone who was there." Take it with a grain of salt....

tc1812

I don't know if they offer up slots out at TBS or not. I think that from my experience, the Marine Corps looks at who you are as a person first, then they make choices later. In other words, prove yourself, then they work for you, not necessarily the other way around. I was told when I first started looking into flying by my recruiter, not my OSO even, that if you go to boot camp then you are more likely to be accepted into the program. It's true. I suggest getting into it however you can, if you can get contracted into aviation, great. If you are having a hard time, go in and prove yourself at OCS and keep applying. When they see there is a will there, the will try and make it possible for you.

riley

Yeah - perseverence and tenacity are good traits to have through this whole process - from your posts though, I can already tell you know that.

If nothing else, bug the hell out of them until they finally give in....

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
OK... heres how selection works.
Your TBS class is split into thirds. The top people in each 1/3rd get first pick at the MOS boards. Of course this is kind of unfair since someone in the middle of the first 1/3rd might not get his first pick of MOS and someone at the top of the last 1/3rd will, but we need a good quality spread among the MOS's, and this is the Corps' way of assuring that. There will probably be some air spots open at TBS. The decision is yours, but if you know you want to be a pilot, I would suggest doing my best to get a gauranteed air contract.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
You know it. They're packing my trash on Thursday and Friday, and I should be there on Monday to start looking for a place to live. Got a question for you. Is there any truth to the rumor that VT-28 is the place to be? I generally don't put much stock in that kind of gouge, and hell... it doesn't really matter either way, but I was just curious.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
27 has more duty and right now seems to be moving slower than 28, but that can change tomorrow. 28 has leather couches and a ping pong table in the student ready room and 27 has broke chairs and a run down couch. Training is all the same, 28 seems to be a little more laid back, but every unit has it's @ssholes. It's luck of the draw, when you check into TW-4, they'll put you where there's a gap. Where do y'all plan on living?

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Still looking for a place to live. Any legs up on available rentals would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like a duplex type setup or possible a townhome. I'm kind of sick of living in apartments, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes open.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I live on base, so I don't know much about rentals. If you're interested in living on base, they just built new houses here. The housing office also has info on renting.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by E5B
I live on base, so I don't know much about rentals. If you're interested in living on base, they just built new houses here. The housing office also has info on renting.

Moving right along, hey?
How did API treat ya?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
API was a blast. Just a few flights from my solo.

CQ yet?

reapergm

Can you switch after MOS training to another MOS... eg from a ground slot to air after TBS? You said to "prove yourself", but they dont give you alot of time to do that before choosing a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.