• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Modern E-2, aviator perspective please!

Moony0352

In primary, close to selection, currently severely lacking on modern E-2 info, trying to figure out for selection purposes (want jets but... yah know).

So I was hoping to get a modern view on the following info, as all I can find is years old at this point, especially considering transition to E-2D. Even a yes / no will suffice if any info gets close to opsec issues.

1. Aside from traffic control and data relay between strike and carrier, do E-2s (specifically their pilots) play active roles in the tactical / strike mission?
  2. Are E-2 pilots viewed as sub par with respect to the rest of the carrier airwing and with respect to career progression and culture (is it a caste system)?
  3. Are there typically slots in TPS for E-2 pilots (thats a goal in any platform for me).
  4. What is something specifically cool with regards to flying E-2s?
Accessory questions...
What if an E-2 pilot later on wants to become an operational jet pilot still, does that opportunity exist after the first JO tour? I've heard there are boards but idk what that really means in this context. Do they consider age a factor?

Why is there so little info on flying E-2s?

Moony0352

Not an E-2 guy but....

You need to post the same question in at least 5 forums before anyone will answer. You're only at 2.
Honestly man I've been scouring the interwebs for this info (recent info), im trying to squeeze blood from a stone at this point

Last edited:

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There are a couple E-2 bros floating around primary. You could probably bribe one to talk to a lowly SNA with a 6er of beer.

Moony0352

There are a couple E-2 bros floating around primary. You could probably bribe one to talk to a lowly SNA with a 6er of beer.
Yeah I found 1, a senior officer. I did value their perspective but it seemed vague and out of date. The rank difference made it difficult to probe. In any case i finally turned back to the good old AW, havnt been here since waiting for selection!

hdr777

pilot
Yeah I found 1, a senior officer. I did value their perspective but it seemed vague and out of date. The rank difference made it difficult to probe. In any case i finally turned back to the good old AW, havnt been here since waiting for selection!

If you're in Corpus there are some young E2 ips at 31, I don't think there were any up in whiting last year but that may have changed

Moony0352

So I believe there is 1 COD, and as well a senior officer. Maybe the ones youre referring to left. I am always keeping my ear to the ground though, hoping to get someone here!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other threads deleted since this one has a conversation. Please limit yourself to one thread per topic.

-The Management

croakerfish

pilot
I'm not an E-2 guy but one of my OCS buddies is. He's on his Test Pilot tour or whatever it's called after graduating from TPS. Availability of TPS spots for various communities is not something you can bank on, especially small communities like VAW. He told me (several years ago at this point) that the D has more pilot involvement in the mission whereas the C was pretty much just flying the thing while the NFOs ran the mission.

robav8r

None
Contributor
In terms of "Jets" versus the Hawkeye, isn't the E-2 one of the most, if not THE most difficult platforms to fly in the airwing these days . . . . ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
In primary, close to selection, currently severely lacking on modern E-2 info, trying to figure out for selection purposes (want jets but... yah know).

So I was hoping to get a modern view on the following info, as all I can find is years old at this point, especially considering transition to E-2D. Even a yes / no will suffice if any info gets close to opsec issues.

1. Aside from traffic control and data relay between strike and carrier, do E-2s (specifically their pilots) play active roles in the tactical / strike mission?
  2. Are E-2 pilots viewed as sub par with respect to the rest of the carrier airwing and with respect to career progression and culture (is it a caste system)?
  3. Are there typically slots in TPS for E-2 pilots (thats a goal in any platform for me).
  4. What is something specifically cool with regards to flying E-2s?
Accessory questions...
What if an E-2 pilot later on wants to become an operational jet pilot still, does that opportunity exist after the first JO tour? I've heard there are boards but idk what that really means in this context. Do they consider age a factor?

Why is there so little info on flying E-2s?
I'm not/was not an E-2 guy, but here ya go:
  1. It's more than ATC and data link. It's an integral part of the Air Warfare fight. Detect, ID, track, etc. With the E-2D there's a lot more stuff you can detect, track, ID, etc.
  2. Depends on how important what other people think is to you. VAW is their own community so career progression as a JO is up to E-2 guys. As you get higher up my impression is that people care less about your platform. There is currently a CAG who was a Helo guy.
  3. Depends on a lot of things beyond your control but there's probably at least one slot or two a year to VX-20.
  4. It's essentially a B-25 crammed full of 21st century avionics. So the trims are whizbang but it's all meat servos when it comes to flying.

OscarMyers

None

The E-2 community is changing a lot and with the E-2D having the Tactical fourth operator (T4O) the pilots get to play with the NFOs in the tactical picture. Think less traffic control and more tactical command and control, vectoring around fighters and running intercepts is small part of what we do.

Are E-2 pilots viewed as sub par with respect to the rest of the carrier airwing and with respect to career progression and culture (is it a caste system)?

I guarantee there's not a fighter pilot out there that would want to wrestle the pig onto an aircraft carrier. Wickets and career opportunities are pretty similar.

Are there typically slots in TPS for E-2 pilots (thats a goal in any platform for me).

Yes, I am here with one E-2D pilot. Small community, so there's usually only one or two per class. VX-30 is standing up developmental test, so that might increase in the future.

What is something specifically cool with regards to flying E-2s?

Its a great, small community. You get to go flying off the ship with 4 of your best buds. Lots of JOs in the ready room so ground jobs get distributed pretty well. Also lots of JOs to pay into an admin when at Tahoe or in port. Mission wise for pilots is still being explored, but no doubt will be putting more responsibility in the cockpit.

Oh yeah and E-2D Aerial Refueling is the new hotness.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Don't forget the hydraulic operated windshield wiper. Good ole Grumman.
The 1950s ME who designed it probably didn't know electricity existed so he solved the problem the only way he knew how. That's why old cars had a lot of vacuum systems for wipers, door locks, etc. MEs didn't start messing with electronics until the EEs gave it up to all go design antennas.