• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mob-ing to Bahrain...

Toonces

Where's the pilot lounge?
pilot
...how do I squirm my way into a flying job?

Long story short, I've been identified for an involuntary mob to Bahrain. I would love to get qualified in the UC-12 before heading over there. I'm a current PC-12 pilot and have about 300 hours in King Airs.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If I don't become a qualified TPC, have any aviators worked themselves into the right seat with the UC-12 guys? For what it's worth, I will likely be with a CTF, not base staff. Thanks for your help.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...how do I squirm my way into a flying job?

Long story short, I've been identified for an involuntary mob to Bahrain. I would love to get qualified in the UC-12 before heading over there. I'm a current PC-12 pilot and have about 300 hours in King Airs...

I am going to say that your chances of flying are extremely slim to none. The only reservists that I have even heard of getting flying gigs (other than those mob'd with their squadrons) were a handful of folks who got backseat gigs in the MC-12/U-28's over 5 years ago but that was an anomaly and shut down. Getting an actual pilot gig? I don't think so. Especially when the folks who already have flying orders there are probably fighting over flight time already.

Maybe you know the right Admiral or are the Navy's best C-12 pilot but I would tell you to start learning to love .ppt and hope that they'll let you wear a flight suit occasionally.

lloyd-300x300.jpg

Toonces

pilot
I am going to say that your chances of flying are extremely slim to none. The only reservists that I have even heard of getting flying gigs (other than those mob'd with their squadrons) were a handful of folks who got backseat gigs in the MC-12/U-28's over 5 years ago but that was an anomaly and shut down. Getting an actual pilot gig? I don't think so. Especially when the folks who already have flying orders there are probably fighting over flight time already.

Maybe you know the right Admiral or are the Navy's best C-12 pilot but I would tell you to start learning to love .ppt and hope that they'll let you wear a flight suit occasionally.

Luckily, Bahrain and ppt are familiar territory, but I'm pretty sure I know the wrong admirals.

I figure it was worth a shot. I know two folks who recently did mobilizations to Djibouti and Bahrain and they sat in a plane a handful of times.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, go make friends with the Air Ops guys and see what you can work out. I'd predict that your difficulty won't so much be sweet-talking your way into the right seat, as your 'real' boss letting you out of the office to go fly.

What's your background? If you're a P-3/EP-3 guy and reasonably current you probably could talk your way into some flights down at Isa.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
There is a civilian initial and recurrent training program for C-12's so you'd have to convince them to send you to the three week initial course and pay for it. If you're only there for six months, that seems pretty unlikely even if they need bodies.

Toonces

pilot
@Treetop Flyer - Yup, I did my research and figured the trip to Flight Safety in Wichita was a certainty. The rest of the requirements would likely be waived. It's looking like a 9-12 month requirement so I figured it was in the realm of possibility.

@Uncle Fester - my background is in H-60's. I fly for a civilian company now in the PC-12, and before that for a different company flying the King Air. I'll make some friends over at Isa - my CO was able to manage a few flights with those guys on his last mob.

@Renegade One - now that would just be fun. I met the CO of one of the reserve RIVRON's (now a current Delta pilot), and he said it was the most fun tour of his career.

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot
What is the housing setup for a junior officer MOB-ee to Bahrain?

Are you allowed to take leave during your BOG time? If not, what does the average SELRES do with all the leave accrued during a MOB (should be 30 days earned over a 12-month MOB)?

Anyone with experience, please chime in ... Thanks.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the housing setup for a junior officer MOB-ee to Bahrain?

Are you allowed to take leave during your BOG time? If not, what does the average SELRES do with all the leave accrued during a MOB (should be 30 days earned over a 12-month MOB)?

Anyone with experience, please chime in ... Thanks.

Everybody lives out in town. There's a variety of comfortable accommodations. Be aware of the flat-rate per diem thing - 181+ day orders, you're on 55%. Housing keeps a list of the current approved places. Basically you pick your preferences and they make the reservation for you - part of getting your CNA.

Leave, it's just like the Fleet - depends on your boss. I took some leave and went to Italy to see friends over Thanksgiving. Most mobees don't, but there's no reason you can't. When you demob, you can sell back your leave, keep it on the books if you think you might be doing another AD stretch, or take 'terminal leave'. If you take terminal leave, you do the demob thing at Norfolk and then check out on leave with your NOSC. So essentially, with 30 days on the books, you get another month's pay after you demob. Especially good deal if it's tax-free leave.