• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minot AFB. B52 incident and accident, All aircrew safe.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Not a good week for the Minot B52 Wing,
http://www.businessinsider.com/a-b-...f-from-andersen-air-force-base-in-guam-2016-5
b-52-crash-guam.png

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/engine-literally-fell-off-us-190429958.html
An_engine_literally_fell_off-dc1572b6d8169eb94f8800022e50e644

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The crash in Guam happened last May. As for the latest incident, I guess that can go into the BFTFOA file.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Seriously, how the fuck does an engine just "fall off" the aircraft without someone, anyone noticing the indications of metal fatigue, corrosion, etc. ???

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seriously, how the fuck does an engine just "fall off" the aircraft without someone, anyone noticing the indications of metal fatigue, corrosion, etc. ???
Has happened before on civil airliners such as AA 191:
IMG_5022.JPG
In this case the motor fell off due to fatigue in the pylon caused by improper maintenance.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, no shit. Kinda my point.
And my point was that the improper maintenance on AA191 and the resulting fatigue wasn't found out until several weeks after the maintenance was performed. Nothing out of the ordinary was noticed in that time until the motor fell off of the jet. Things that are wrong with internal structures can easily go unnoticed until the point of failure.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ah, the dreaded seven engine approach.

I logged about 5 hours in a B-52 once. As a helo bubba seeing that 7 engine approach was interesting. The CRM wasn't anything abnormal, and they rolled back the opposing good engine to alleviate any adverse yaw. According to the aircraft commander, in real world emergency losing another engine (down to 5) would actually be a pretty bad day, partly due to the sheer size of aircraft as well as the type of flight controls that the B-52 has.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I logged about 5 hours in a B-52 once. As a helo bubba seeing that 7 engine approach was interesting. The CRM wasn't anything abnormal, and they rolled back the opposing good engine to alleviate any adverse yaw. According to the aircraft commander, in real world emergency losing another engine (down to 5) would actually be a pretty bad day, partly due to the sheer size of aircraft as well as the type of flight controls that the B-52 has.

Speaking of engines on the B-52, perhaps the Air Force is finally preparing to re-engine this classic machine.

The U.S. Air Force’s strategy for ensuring the nuclear deterrence and conventional firepower of its bomber forces through the 2050s and beyond will require installing commercial jet engines onto its B-52s.

https://aerospaceamerica.aiaa.org/features/re-engining-a-legend/

A U.S. airman checks the eight J57 engines on a B-52 at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., in the late 1950s. The Air Force shifted to TF33 turbofan engines for today's B-52H versions that began flying in operations in 1961.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe they can replace those 8 ridiculously inefficient low-bypass engines with 4 modern ones.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe they can replace those 8 ridiculously inefficient low-bypass engines with 4 modern ones.
I was reading another article that said they'd considered that and shitcanned the idea.

Ah, here it is. FTA: "First, it wants new — not refurbished — systems and intends to maintain an eight-engine configuration on each B-52, knocking out competitors who have floated a four-engine solution. The engines must be able to be integrated without having to significantly rework the B-52’s wings, although the service expects some design changes to structures such as struts and nacelles may be necessary. "