• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minimum vision requirements - HELP

FemaleNFO

Hi all,

This is my first post to AW, so I apologize if this question has been previously answered. I want to become a officer in the US Navy, NFO specifically. From what I've read on here and various other platforms, in order to qualify for naval service your vision must be correctable to 20/40 min, which mine is. 20/20 in my left eye and 20/40 in my right eye. However, my recruiter said that I'm not eligible. Can somebody help?

If this is true, do I have any sort of future in the military?

FemaleNFO

Thank you for the response and the link. I knew SNFO was long shot. He told me that I have no future in the naval service as an officer whatsoever due to the left eye being 20/40? Is this true?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, the commissioning guidelines listed in MANMED Chapter 15, 15-36, §1, (a) state:

"Current distant or near visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to 20/20 in each eye is disqualifying"

Check with your ophthalmologist and see if there's any way to get in corrected to 20/20 (maybe you're a candidate for LASIK/PRK?)

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Documents/NAVMED P-117 (MANMED)/Chapter 15, Medical Examinations (incorporates Changes 126, 128, 135-140, 144, 145, 147, 150-152, 154, and 155 below).pdf

Paul Kellerman

C.Ronaldo
I encountered the same issue and still waiting the MEPS to schedule my next read, but FYI, here is your golden rule:

2. Excessive Refractive Error (myopia or nearsightedness)

a. Myopia or nearsightedness occurs when light rays are focused in front of the retina rather than on the retina itself. Myopia usually begins in the school years. The growing eye becomes too long, so that the rays of light from distant objects converge before the retina. The condition may develop rapidly in the teenage years so that new glasses are needed every 6 months. It usually finally stabilizes once an individual is in their early 20s. Serious or pathologic nearsightedness may begin with a refractive error of > -8.00 diopters. This occurs in about 1-3 percent of the population and is associated with potentially blinding conditions such as retinal detachment, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. In addition, individuals with an excessive refractive error usually have a thin retina that can result in a detachment of the retina. Detachment of the retina while on a remote deployment would be a medical emergency not easily treated.

b. Earlier versions of AR 40-501 2-13c(3), Standards of Medical Fitness, states that nearsightedness > –6.75 diopters is disqualifying. Refractive error is located in block #19 on the DD Form 2351, SEP 2000. The total weighed value for refractive error is calculated by using the number listed in the “SPH” block and adding to it ½ of the number present in the adjacent “CYL” block. The sum of these two values is the total refractive error. For example, if the “SPH” number is –7.50 and the “CYL” number is –1.00 the total refractive error is –7.50 + ½(-1.00) or –8.00. Prior to 29 Aug 03, a refractive error of > -6.75 diopters was disqualifying for ROTC and USMA. However, all applicants with a refractive error of < -8.00 diopters were automatically waived by the Command Surgeon. Effective 29 Aug 03, OTSG has changed AR 40-501 to reflect this waiver policy. Therefore, refractive error of > -6.75 but < -8.00 diopters is no longer disqualifying for either ROTC or USMA.

(1) A refractive error between -8.00 and -10.00 may be potentially waived if an ophthalmology (eye surgeon) exam of the retina documents the absence of any abnormal findings such as lattice degeneration, retinal tears, or retinal holes which result from thinning of the retinal area of the eye.

(2) The OTSG Ophthalmology Consultant has recommended that a refractive
error > -10.00 not be waived even if a retinal exam is normal. Waivers for LASIK surgery when the pre-surgery refractive error was > -10.00 diopters will not be approved since although the refractive error has been corrected the underlying risk of a future retinal detachment due to retinal thinning is unchanged by surgery.

exNavyOffRec

I encountered the same issue and still waiting the MEPS to schedule my next read, but FYI, here is your golden rule:

2. Excessive Refractive Error (myopia or nearsightedness)

a. Myopia or nearsightedness occurs when light rays are focused in front of the retina rather than on the retina itself. Myopia usually begins in the school years. The growing eye becomes too long, so that the rays of light from distant objects converge before the retina. The condition may develop rapidly in the teenage years so that new glasses are needed every 6 months. It usually finally stabilizes once an individual is in their early 20s. Serious or pathologic nearsightedness may begin with a refractive error of > -8.00 diopters. This occurs in about 1-3 percent of the population and is associated with potentially blinding conditions such as retinal detachment, macular degeneration, and glaucoma. In addition, individuals with an excessive refractive error usually have a thin retina that can result in a detachment of the retina. Detachment of the retina while on a remote deployment would be a medical emergency not easily treated.

b. Earlier versions of AR 40-501 2-13c(3), Standards of Medical Fitness, states that nearsightedness > –6.75 diopters is disqualifying. Refractive error is located in block #19 on the DD Form 2351, SEP 2000. The total weighed value for refractive error is calculated by using the number listed in the “SPH” block and adding to it ½ of the number present in the adjacent “CYL” block. The sum of these two values is the total refractive error. For example, if the “SPH” number is –7.50 and the “CYL” number is –1.00 the total refractive error is –7.50 + ½(-1.00) or –8.00. Prior to 29 Aug 03, a refractive error of > -6.75 diopters was disqualifying for ROTC and USMA. However, all applicants with a refractive error of < -8.00 diopters were automatically waived by the Command Surgeon. Effective 29 Aug 03, OTSG has changed AR 40-501 to reflect this waiver policy. Therefore, refractive error of > -6.75 but < -8.00 diopters is no longer disqualifying for either ROTC or USMA.

(1) A refractive error between -8.00 and -10.00 may be potentially waived if an ophthalmology (eye surgeon) exam of the retina documents the absence of any abnormal findings such as lattice degeneration, retinal tears, or retinal holes which result from thinning of the retinal area of the eye.

(2) The OTSG Ophthalmology Consultant has recommended that a refractive
error > -10.00 not be waived even if a retinal exam is normal. Waivers for LASIK surgery when the pre-surgery refractive error was > -10.00 diopters will not be approved since although the refractive error has been corrected the underlying risk of a future retinal detachment due to retinal thinning is unchanged by surgery.

you are referencing AR 40-501 but that doesn't apply to OCS candidates, the Navy Medical Manual NAVMED P-117 is the governing instruction (they do defer to NAMI for aviation candidates), so if your post is all based on the AR 40-501 than it doesn't apply.

Paul Kellerman

C.Ronaldo
you are referencing AR 40-501 but that doesn't apply to OCS candidates, the Navy Medical Manual NAVMED P-117 is the governing instruction (they do defer to NAMI for aviation candidates), so if your post is all based on the AR 40-501 than it doesn't apply.

I'm not applying flying jobs but Intel and IWO/CWO, do I still need to follow a more strict eye requirements you referred?

exNavyOffRec

I'm not applying flying jobs but Intel and IWO/CWO, do I still need to follow a more strict eye requirements you referred?

They aren't that strict 8.00 diopters is quite bad

I would have concerns about your ability to get a clearance, with both parents not being US citizens nor holding green cards that would be a big red flag.

Paul Kellerman

C.Ronaldo
That could be a huge problem, unless it is elective surgery (vision correction) they essentially DQ a person for everything else.
Yes, actually I'm very concerning about it. Since they said it's a PDQ... I already got 64 on OAR and 7/6/8 on other sessions of ASTB. I can run 1.5 miles under 8. I don't see why that holes stuff hold me up...