• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Milton/Whiting Road Cyclists

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
This will be similar to Sticky's post for K-rock cyclists:

With the increase in driver/rider incidents making the news and the narrow shoulders on West FL roads, there are good reasons to be careful and lawful on the roads and to not ride alone.

I'd like to organize some road rides amongst the Whiting crowd. PM me if you're interested. Once I get a MapMyRide.com group started, I'll post the link. Cyclists of all skill levels are welcome. I'd like all the rides to be no-drop (which means we won't ditch you, unlike the Truly Spokin' Saturday morning crowd - yes I was bitter).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Same goes with the MTB/XC crowd. The UWF trail sucks but its the only thing around. I would be down for some road trips up north or to the west for the better trails.

helo_wifey

I'm coming back to the US and stopping in P'cola/Milton on the way east, and I'll have my mountain bike. It's full suspension (maybe overkill for the area) but I'd love to go.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I won't be down in that area for a long while, but are there really no good MTB trails? or even some free rider courses:D. I got a cannondale F8, definitely not high end, but it suits my needs. You guys drop a lot of money on your bikes?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I won't be down in that area for a long while, but are there really no good MTB trails? or even some free rider courses:D. I got a cannondale F8, definitely not high end, but it suits my needs. You guys drop a lot of money on your bikes?

If by "drop a lot of money" you mean "bought it at walmart without even a water bottle holder", then yes.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Well you can get a Schwinn for like 200, which Isn't bad at Walmart. I meant any one hard core spending, for example I have seen an Ellsworth run up to like 10,000. :eek: In all serious I have been wanting to get good enough to do the North Shore type riding(freeriding) but I am pretty sure I will break my neck if I try.

helo_wifey

$1700 for a mountain bike (Santa Cruz) and $3200 for a custom road that's being built up as we speak...I kinda like bikes (plus a cruiser and another hard tail mtb).

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Well you can get a Schwinn for like 200, which Isn't bad at Walmart. I meant any one hard core spending, for example I have seen an Ellsworth run up to like 10,000. :eek: In all serious I have been wanting to get good enough to do the North Shore type riding(freeriding) but I am pretty sure I will break my neck if I try.

I ride a Kona Four Supreme which is pretty top of the line. It retails for $3000 but I didn't pay that much since I got a team discount on it. This is my first FS bike and I am not sure I really like it. Even with the nice rear Fox RP23 shock I still feel a lot of power being lost in the pedals.

2K8_FOURSUPREME.jpg

bluesig1

sure thing
None
How much does that Kona weigh? I have seen some pretty heavy FS bikes, with all that extra suspension It's tough as balls getting up them hills,lol.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
With the pedals (eggbeaters) and tubeless tires filled with stans. it comes in at about 25.5lbs. That is lighter than most hardtails out there...

This is my first FS bike and its a love hate kind of thing. The average XC type trail you have no need for a FS and you just lose "pedal power" in the suspension. So generally when I am riding I have it locked out. However, when you are on a more technical trail with some fast descents or drops the FS is worth it. I still miss my old bike which was a Kona Kula Primo (hardtail) but oddly enough it is the same weight as my new bike (but about a grand difference in price).

helo_wifey

Definitely a nice Kona! Are there any good places down south (in general) that you've been where you've needed it? We're moving to JAX and I feel like I'm going to have to take a lot of road trips to find some good riding.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
Definitely a nice Kona! Are there any good places down south (in general) that you've been where you've needed it? We're moving to JAX and I feel like I'm going to have to take a lot of road trips to find some good riding.

Thanks!

I doubt there is anywhere down south where a FS is needed at all. Back home in Texas there were certain trails that were mostly rock and the FS is definitely was nice. I have not ventured out at all in Florida so I couldn't tell you. My guess is most of the trails in Florida a hardtail is the way to go.

You probably already know about this site but if not go to http://trails.mtbr.com/ and look up Florida and by nearest city. The better tails in Florida seem to be in in central to eastern Florida. JAX supposedly has something decent there to... But some road trips from Jax to Northern Georgia or Alabama would probably be fun and worth it.