• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Pay V. Civil Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahoe

I'm scheduled to start OCS somewhere late in the year, currently I'm working for a defense contractor in Minneapolis and I'm trying to get an idea as to the type of pay I'll be receiving when I start OCS on through flight school. I have a very rough idea of what to expect, but am still in need of information. Thanks for your time!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
An Ensign with less than two years of service should expect the following for pay per month:

Base Pay $1,926.30
Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) $158.83
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) without Dependents $497 **
Flight Pay $125 ***
TOTAL $2,707.13 ($32,485.56 yearly)
** BAH in this example is based on Pensacola, FL, it varies on location. BAH with Dependents $583. If you are staying in the BOQ you will not recieve BAH.

*** Flight Pay begins at Primary.

Hope this information helps to answer your questions, also here are some useful sites:

<A href='http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/bp-2.htm' target=_blank>July 1st, 2000 Military Base Pay Chart</a>
<A href='http://pay2000.dtic.mil/' target=_blank>Military Pay and Benefits 2000 Website</a>

Mcaf

I have 3 years and nine months of active duty so I'll miss O-1E but do these years count when using the pay chart? I've been told my prior years only count towards retirement and do not affect my pay. The way I read the pay chart is I will be an O-1 getting paid at the 3 year point. The conflict comes from the fact that the pay chart says I'll be making the same amount of money as an O-1E; therefore, it doesn't seem to fit. Also, has anyone heard of a 3 month waver to O-1E because I have friends who got the good conduct medal 6 months early? Since it seems i'll be making the same amount of money(navy's decision maker), it shouldn't be a problem. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
I have 3 years and nine months of active duty so I'll miss O-1E but do these years count when using the pay chart? ... Also, has anyone heard of a 3 month waver to O-1E because I have friends who got the good conduct medal 6 months early?

First off, yes you will get paid for your time in service, and it will get counted towards your retirement. The O1/2/3E payscale is structured in such a way to benefit people with prior service greater than four years. It matches the pay scale as you mentioned at the 4 year mark, but while the O1 pay scale maxes out, the O1E pay scale continues to rise till it hits the 14 year mark. So in a sense, it doesn't benefit you trying to look for a 3 month extension (which I seriously doubt would ever be granted), since you would be recieving the same pay as your respective O1.

As for Good Conduct medals, you should already have one, since back in the '95-96 time frame, the Navy lowered the numbers of years required for a Good Conduct from 4 to 3. So in effect, your friends probably got theirs a couple of months late, they should probably look at the dates covered on theirs.

Hope that helps answer the question.

Mcaf

John, thanks for the info. Now, I feel a bit more at ease on the subject. Also, I wasn't very clear with the whole Good Conduct thing. I have my Good conduct but what happened was my friends only had 2 yrs and 7-9 months when they were to be discharged for ROTC. They put in for a waver and got their Good Conduct anyway. I figured since they wavered stuff like this then they might waver the O-1E thing. I most likely won't pursue this because like you said, its not a big difference. I read somewhere to be considered a Mustang; the only requirement is to have the good conduct medal and I think that would be pretty cool. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.