• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Hours to PPL renewal

draad

I tried searching for this and was surprised to not find anything but I'm guessing that's due to poor searching skills so I apologize. I got my PPL at around 70 hours of total time in Cessna 152s and 172s about 3 1/2 years ago and wanted to get a biennial flight review to get current so I could take some friends up. My questions are:
1. Does my military flight physical count as a Class 3 medical (or could the flight surgeon sign one?)
2. Does my Instrument Rating from the T-45 count for private flying (I'm guessing it does)?
3. Other than the flight review, is there anything else I would need to do before I could take friends up flying?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I tried searching for this and was surprised to not find anything but I'm guessing that's due to poor searching skills so I apologize. I got my PPL at around 70 hours of total time in Cessna 152s and 172s about 3 1/2 years ago and wanted to get a biennial flight review to get current so I could take some friends up. My questions are:
1. Does my military flight physical count as a Class 3 medical (or could the flight surgeon sign one?)
2. Does my Instrument Rating from the T-45 count for private flying (I'm guessing it does)?
3. Other than the flight review, is there anything else I would need to do before I could take friends up flying?

1. Most air stations have a FS who's also an FAA medical dude. Hit him up for the class 3.

2. Did you do your military equivelancy rating? If so, you should have a Commercial and Instrument ticket. If not, then go do that.

3. Aside from extra money to rent a plane, not really. The owner of whatever plane you rent will probably want to give you a checkride.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The T45 instrument rating does not count for civilian flying. Unless you do the military equivalency and have civilian licenses in hand, nothing counts in the civilian world.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
1. Most air stations have a FS who's also an FAA medical dude. Hit him up for the class 3.

2. Did you do your military equivelancy rating? If so, you should have a Commercial and Instrument ticket. If not, then go do that.

3. Aside from extra money to rent a plane, not really. The owner of whatever plane you rent will probably want to give you a checkride.

No need to get a 3rd class medical....
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...0E9C9D6AA9B4C6738625768F005C2E1A?OpenDocument

It may well make sense to get a second class if you are planning on flying for hire etc...but if all you want to do is get the 100$ hamburger, there is no reason to pay for a 3rd class certificate.

Fallonflyr

pilot

1. no, yes if he is designated by the FAA
2. no
3. Get checked out in the aircraft you want to rent from the FBO and make that your biennial.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot

I believe that your Instrument Rating counts towards your BFR under FAR 61.56(d) (some searching required with this link).

If an FBO wants you do a checkride before you rent one of their airplanes, then the person giving the checkride need not be an "authorized instructor" for you to be legal. Granted, the FBO's insurance policy probably has an "instructor" clause for who can check out new club pilots... but if you and some airport bum make a handshake agreement for you to fly his personal airplane then you're legal as far as the FAA is concerned.

(Your NATOPS check will count too, but you won't get one of those until the FRS. Your "safe for solo" syllabus flights might, but I'd wouldn't bet money on that without calling a FSDO first.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm surprised to see HAL saying no to the BFR. Maybe I'm not understanding your statement. Like Jim, I dug around in the FARs and went to several CFIs at the Jax Navy Flying Club when I was starting to fly there and everyone seemed to be in agreement that (as Jim has linked) my instrument check and the 4 or so Natops checks I had done in the last 3 months or so all counted.

Ahh, unless you're saying that because the OP is saying he only has a Private... I think I get it now.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm surprised to see HAL saying no to the BFR. Maybe I'm not understanding your statement. Like Jim, I dug around in the FARs and went to several CFIs at the Jax Navy Flying Club when I was starting to fly there and everyone seemed to be in agreement that (as Jim has linked) my instrument check and the 4 or so Natops checks I had done in the last 3 months or so all counted.

Ahh, unless you're saying that because the OP is saying he only has a Private... I think I get it now.
I was saying that having a T45 instrument rating is not the equivalent of having a civilian instrument license. You're not legal to fly civilian aircraft IFR on a military instrument rating alone, you need to take the equivalency exam and get the FAA instrument license.

And yes, I was assuming he has only a private pilot license.