• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Aviation...second try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASUPilot

Well, for all of you who know me you remember the heartbreak I felt when my USN plans fell through. Yesterday, 3 Nov 00, I received the good news that I was selected for OTS and UPT for the USAF. I will keep you guys posted as the gouge becomes available.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Congratulations on the good news!! When do you head off for training? Definitely keep us posted!

ASUPilot

John,

I'm not really sure when I head off to training. I now need to complete my Top Secret Security Clearance stuff for the AF and head back out to Luke AFB for some final medical stuff. The AF does not begin OTS classes nearly as often as the Navy commences OCS classes...which is about every two weeks. I suspect that I'll be in the 16 January 01 class. Or at least I hope so because if I'm not in that class I'll have to wait until February to start.

Jeff

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do security clearances work. What are the differences between them and how do you gain them. What clearance is required for pilots?

Bye the way congrats ASU, I'm still working on my delays.

Thanks

Dave Shutter

Congrats ASU! I did follow your posts by the way, being in the same boat more or less myself with my physical. If I can't get my physical and PRT together this year for the Navy, the AF can still be an option for me as far as my age goes.

If you haven't already ASU, you want to check out Donevein Reins's journal site on the links page. He didn't get fighters like he wanted and hasn't updated in a loooong time (he may even have quit?) but he did detail his training in OTS and UPT on the site! Very relevant to you!

Jeff: I'm still applying and to my knowledge, a security clearence is required of all officers (and enlisted SPECWAR) regardless of community. The current security check for the Navy is the EPSQ, (electronic personal security questionaire)an electronic form you download and fill out on a computer. What it basically is is an extensive background check on everywhere you've been and worked, and what you've done in the past several years. Who are your friends, family and associates? Have you been overseas extensively, belonged to certain organizations, etc. Another big part of it that is that they do a credit check! Sounds silly, but if you owe a couple of hundred thousand dollars in debt (and you're only making 0-1 salary) then you'll be a prime candidate for unscrupulous anti-America types looking for spies!

Pilots have to meet the same security clearences as regular officers. A pilot may get to learn all the top secret stuff about the Hornet, but remember his SWO counterpart has to learn all about the AEGIS, Sub-officers go without saying, and if SPECWAR enlisted need it then you know an Officer does too!

...what I've been told.

D

Jeff

I was talking with a friend who was exlaining the security clearance deal to me. I had no idea that there were mltiple levels of clearance. I have a vague idea, as far as secret and top secret go but higher than that and "Q" and "L" I don't really get. What type of clearance is required for Naval Aviation? Do they just investigate you from your SF-86 or do you actually get to sit down and be interviewed by these guys? Do you have to get higher clearances the higher you go in rank?

ASUPilot

Jeff,

It's my understanding that in the initial phases we obtain our clearances through the SF86 form...the same for the Navy and AF. Then, once we are actually training we undergo a more involved interview.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In the USMC, 2ndLt's are automatically issued a secret clearance. I'm not sure if this is true for the Navy and that civilian service in a blue uniform (just kidding ASU). Generally, now that Nukes have been eliminated from our aresenal, most aviators will maintain nothing more then a SECRET clearance. If you are requested to fill out a security background investigation paperwork (SBI, its a pain. You need to have every address and phone number and other pertinent information for the past ten years. EA6B, EP3,E6,H-60 (LAMPS)will mainly be the crews who get a TS clearance. It takes one year at a cost of over $15,000 to the goverment. Semper Fi!

Derrill Thompson

ASU Pilot,

First of all, congrats on your selection to Air Force OTS. I guess we'll slap high fives as we pass each other as I am active duty enlisted Air Force and have been selected for Navy Pilot Training.

Anyway, on the clearance stuff, as an Air Force Officer and Pilot, you certainly will not always be flying. Part of the Air Force pilot's job is also as a scheduler, evaluator , instructor, planner, inspector, ...and the list keeps on going. All of these jobs are desk jobs which require a certain security clearance.

For instance, I currently work in HQ Air Mobility Command's Operations Plans Division. There are approximately 30 heavy lift and tanker pilots who write war plans. Yes they get their flight pay, and yes they will return to the cockpit, but for now, they are desk pilots.

I'm quite sure its the same in the Navy. Just the other week I was working with a LTC "Munk" Munkel at USSTRATCOM. He's an 18 pilot who is doing a shore tour as a systems analyst for STRAT.

No big deal on the clearances though. First of all, there is at least an 18 month backlog for the standard Special Background Investigation (SBI). Then, a clearance only declares you as being eligible to recieve classified information up to and including whatever your clearance is. No big deal.

I guess the main issue for you, heading towards the wild blue yonder as an Air Force Aviator, would be what I stated earlier. You won't always be in the cockpit.

Sorry for the thesis, but I hope this helps. By the way, if you have any questions about Air FOrce Aviation, I can relay them to the guys here at AMC. Specifically, they fly C-130, KC-10, KC-135, C-141. We also have a couple of former B-52 guys.

Derrill

Dave Shutter

Thanx Derril...you just answered a bunch of AF questions I had. BTW, what made you want to fly Navy coming from the AF? Just curious.

D

Derrill Thompson

Dave,

I got this same question as I stepped into the Col's (141 Pilot) office, snapped to attention, and politely asked him if he'd write me an endorsement to become a pilot in the Navy. I thought he would certainly have his reservations, but he simply asked, "Why the Navy?"

It was always the Navy. When I was 17 years old and standing in the Navy recruiters office about the enlist, I had this idea (right or wrong) that I would never be able to go to college while at sea. So I walked down the hall and enlisted in the Air Force. I have no regrets, as the Air Force has made me everything I am today. But now that college is finished, I can get on with my life as a Naval Officer and Pilot.

I've served along side men and women from all forces and feel that there really is no difference except that they walked into a different door at the recruiter's office. Each of the armed forces offer some of the brightest (and dullest) people in the world.
Believe me, no matter what you do, you'll end up working with all of them also. The career path of any successful officer involves quite a bit of Joint duty.

No reason you can't love'em all!!

Derrill

Status
Not open for further replies.