• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military AND a musician? Interested in your experiences!

Meyerkord

Helo Advanced
Played drums in various bands from middle school until I joined the military. Mostly local gigs around town, but they were a lot of fun. Some buddies and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a group together, but flight school tends to get in the way.

kejo

pilot
Played drums in various bands from middle school until I joined the military. Mostly local gigs around town, but they were a lot of fun. Some buddies and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a group together, but flight school tends to get in the way.
I played a couple short stand-in sets at Flounders when I was in flight school cause I knew a few of their regulars. Both times pretty drunk, didn't sound great...but "Wagon Wheel" doesn't have to be perfect to get those middle-age P-Cola gals out of their seats...

Even if it doesn't go anywere, playing with others is the best thing you can do to improve or keep your chops up to speed. Moving around a lot makes it a little tough, but also opens you up to a larger range of experience as you meet new people. You'd be suprised how many musicians come out of the woodwork if you just ask, I always am.

Meyerkord

Helo Advanced
I played a couple short stand-in sets at Flounders when I was in flight school cause I knew a few of their regulars. Both times pretty drunk, didn't sound great...but "Wagon Wheel" doesn't have to be perfect to get those middle-age P-Cola gals out of their seats...

Even if it doesn't go anywere, playing with others is the best thing you can do to improve or keep your chops up to speed. Moving around a lot makes it a little tough, but also opens you up to a larger range of experience as you meet new people. You'd be suprised how many musicians come out of the woodwork if you just ask, I always am.
Absolutely, one of my favorite parts of playing is stumbling into groups you never thought would come together. Happened to me right after college. I was working on a team with 4 other people, and one day the topic of music came up. Conveniently we discovered that everyone played a different instrument, so we decided to start practicing in someone's basement. Never did any shows or anything, but it was a nice way to relax and unwind after work.

brownshoe

Contributor
I played in a band (electric piano) while in high school as well. That's me on the bottom left, and my buddy Mikey (drums) on the bottom right. Mikey and I are still buddies today. :)

Attachments

kejo

pilot
I played in a band (electric piano) while in high school as well. That's me on the bottom left, and my buddy Mikey (drums) on the bottom right. Mikey and I are still buddies today. :)
Nice, love the jackets! Don't know about the brass but that Strat and SG Bass would fetch some serious $$$ these days, probably the last thing on those guys' minds at the time. Bonus: my brother lives in Frederick, I grew up in Bel Air.

brownshoe

Contributor
Nice, love the jackets! Don't know about the brass but that Strat and SG Bass would fetch some serious $$$ these days, probably the last thing on those guys' minds at the time. Bonus: my brother lives in Frederick, I grew up in Bel Air.
That photo was taken on the stage of the Tivoli theater (now the Weinberg Center) in downtown Frederick.

Me, I live in Fredrick too. Where does your brother live?

kejo

pilot
That photo was taken on the stage of the Tivoli theater (now the Weinberg Center) in downtown Frederick.

Me, I live in Fredrick too. Where does your brother live?
Couldn't tell you honestly, bought a new house a few months ago and I only get back home maybe once a year or two.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a VAQ CO (guitarist and drummer) who I've jammed with more than a few times back in his JOPA, and my civilian, days. He was even in a JOPA party band that called themselves Soucek 7.

I feel like his current JOPA owes to to him to put him behind a drumset at a party.

browntown

The SL-X is a fantastic amp! For some reason a lot of guitarists don’t seem to like JCM900s, but the SL-X appears to widely stand out as an exception (even though I personally think other 900 models are pretty damn good sounding as well). Balancing the two tone controls in different ways yields a ton of versatility with those things. I wish I still had mine.

Just noticed it looks like you have a Helix too. It’s insane how far amp modeling has come.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
In all seriousness - y’all should collaborate and lay down some tracks. Brett can be the engineer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The SL-X is a fantastic amp! For some reason a lot of guitarists don’t seem to like JCM900s, but the SL-X appears to widely stand out as an exception (even though I personally think other 900 models are pretty damn good sounding as well). Balancing the two tone controls in different ways yields a ton of versatility with those things. I wish I still had mine.

Just noticed it looks like you have a Helix too. It’s insane how far amp modeling has come.
It’s a Kemper, and it is amazing. I’ve been a tube amp guy forever, but I mostly play through the Kemper now. I can go from Marshall to 5150 to Mesa to JSX all seamlessly. It’s an incredible machine.