• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military AND a musician? Interested in your experiences!

kejo

pilot
As my Naval career has likely reached its zenith, I'm looking to pull a project out of my back pocket that's been there for a while that may materialize in to something in the future. As a musician myself, I've had the pleasure of meeting and playing with other, often far more talented musicians in the military of all shapes and sizes. From the dude just strumming some chords in the hangar bay, to full-on bands shredding in front of some 500+ people in a fo'c'sle talent show. Visit any military history museum and there are likely several examples, maybe just in photos, of service members killing time with their favorite instrument.

At this point I'm just nailing down some ideas and scope, so I'd love to hear about your experiences!

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
I used to play the bass in a blues rock band before joining the Marine Corps. I've jammed with a few dudes along the way, mainly just to drink beer and enjoy playing with other musicians.

I've really gotten back into it recently- though I'm still knocking the rust off after a few years of neglect. Definitely fun times!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve played guitar more or less my whole life. Haven’t been in a real band since my enlisted days - mostly due to the time/hours of playing out until 0300. I play at home most days, and will record stuff now and then. I did do some online collaboration with a couple of my old band mates, where we did some Rush covers like in the good old days.

Here’s one of them as an instrumental, as I cannot sing. The video is lifted from something else, but the music is my old drummer, with me doing guitar, bass and synth.

I’ve always taken a guitar and some kind of amp on cruise. Cool thread!

kejo

pilot
My last deployment I managed to take my old Peavey Bandit and a Strat on the cruiser and by the end O-country was getting noise complaints after other players started coming out of the woodwork. Air Office became our unofficial studio. Finally managed to claim my own room in the house we currently live in, I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

BarryD

I’ve played guitar more or less my whole life. Haven’t been in a real band since my enlisted days - mostly due to the time/hours of playing out until 0300. I play at home most days, and will record stuff now and then. I did do some online collaboration with a couple of my old band mates, where we did some Rush covers like in the good old days.

Here’s one of them as an instrumental, as I cannot sing. The video is lifted from something else, but the music is my old drummer, with me doing guitar, bass and synth.

I’ve always taken a guitar and some kind of amp on cruise. Cool thread!
"Neil Peart stands alone . . ."

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I played sax and clarinet in high school and in college. I had a music scholarship in addition to my NROTC scholarship at JU. I also played (paying gigs) in a band in high school and college. I just ran out of time and too many competing hobbies/jobs/women, etc..

Griz882

Livin' On the Right Side of the River From Pags!
pilot
I did vocals for a couple of barracks bands back in the Corps - mostly screeching out what was popular at the time. While in Iraq I helped a few young soldiers write some lyrics for a rap "album" they recorded, it appears I have a knack for rhyme. No instrumental skills beyond "banging on the bongos like a Chimpanzee."

zipmartin

Why do I keep getting messages from Hoveround?
pilot
Contributor
I still have the set of Ludwig drums & Zildjian cymbals I bought in high school in 1967, which keep appreciating in value and I'm often offered well over 5 times what I paid for them. I still play regularly, mostly for fun, but am part of a group that gets asked to play for fun-raisers and benefits, and I play with my church praise band. People tell me their kids often make comments about "that old man playing drums".

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Played drums in a band all through flight school. Sold the drums when I moved to San Diego for the rag because I didn’t have space to set my kit up. Haven’t played drums since. :/

kejo

pilot
Not my full collection but what I've been rotating through lately. First band was an Irish folk band in college. Lately play with anyone I can find but am more in to recording and writing these days. Pedal board is a total mess cause I'm always swapping in and out. Won that Mustang in a contest! 6562A11F-3E21-4C28-BF86-029A48943AC1.jpeg

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think I remember the JOPA from one of the squadrons putting together a kazoo band for one of those wing-wide mandatory fun events. Not sure how much they rehearsed, but they were good. I mean not good like Queen at Wembley, but still pretty good.

brownshoe

Contributor
I also played in a band while I was in VA-44. Three Navy members, Lonnie V, Steve H (me), and Steve V. It was indeed fun and we made some money. Va-44 was an A4 RAG, so it was shore duty.

Attachments

kejo

pilot
I also played in a band while I was in VA-44. Three Navy members, Lonnie V, Steve H (me), and Steve V. It was indeed fun and we made some money. Va-44 was an A4 RAG, so it was shore duty.
So That Thing You Do with Tom Hanks was based on your band? Looks like a one-for-one exact likeness!