• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Migraines??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Miller

Hopefully Future SNA
when i was around 11 or 12 i had a few severe headaches that my doctor thought they were migranes. I havent had any since then and I'm 20 now. Is this going to DQ me or can this be wavered? I am shooting for a pilot slot. Thanks for all the help.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
If you just "think" they were migranes don't mention them. You didn't have a doc's diagnosis so they weren't really necessarily migranes. I work with a girl who had a full four year NROTC scholarship and was scheduled to start API after graduating. She had a history of migranes. It is an automatic disqualifier.

Sabre170

None
How often is Frequent? A few a week, month, year, a couple every few years, more than one?

I have two kids I have a headache more often than I did before I had two kids... maybe they will go away after the terrible twos.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
A headache and a migraine are two totally different things. Migraines are incapacitating and hence why they are a disqualifier. Odds are the guy never had migraines (which is a good thing), because if you have one you would know it (at least my friend that gets them told me they were aweful).

jbgood00

I don't know about aviation, but as a whole for the Navy migraines are NOT an automatic DQ. They can be waived (as with most things in the military). Frequency, intensity and time since your last are all things that will/would play into it.

For those in flight status I BELIEVE it has have been at least 3 years since your previous one. But I'm not sure. I did read that though in the regs a while back.

If you haven't been diagnosed, you haven't been diagnosed. Just keep that in mind.

Also, once you're in, the military is fairly good about allowing for treatments and such. The bar for seperation is MUCH higher than the one for acessions.

Just want to dispel any "myths" and do some pre-emptive "bad gouge" prevention.

Mark_Miller

Hopefully Future SNA
Thanks for the info everyone. To be honest I'm not sure if i was diagnosed or not, i was too young to really pay attention, but i know i have not had any in almost 10 years. i guess i need to ask my doctor if its in my records or not.

Thanks again

No Worries

Mark,

I am currently an Officer Candidate in the STA-21 program and I have been selected for Pilot. I have been in the Navy for 8 years and I have had migraines. I had to get a medical waiver for them while I was attached to a submarine and I just received another for flight duty. I haven't had one in about 5 years, that is what they are looking for. If you haven't had one in ten years you will have no problem. Also, vision problems such as aura's and partial blindness are one of the key indicators of migraines. A lot of people associate bad headaches with migraines and believe me, they are NOT the same thing. Even if you decide to tell your Flight surgeon during your physical he will surely dismiss them if you are asymptomatic. I will also point out, as in the other posts, that you have not been diagnosed so you DON't get migraines, take that for what it is worth. Good luck.

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.