• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman Authorization For Flight Suits

Python

pilot
Contributor
Searched...no success.

Does anybody know where I can find the legal authorization for NROTC Mids to wear flight suits during summer cruise? Any Navadmin or other document (not unit-specific) that shows authorization will help. Also, has to be particular to 1/C aviation cruise, not CORTRAMID.

Thanks guys.

...Yes I googlged.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Is someone at/near your command saying that it's not authorized and therefore they should wear NWU or khakis all the time?

It's not prohibited, and Uniform Regulations paragraph 6803, 2.a says that "Flight suits may be worn by aircrew members and individuals engaged in flight or flight-related duties that working day. "

The MIDN are individuals and are working in flight related duties that working day, no?

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Searched...no success.

Does anybody know where I can find the legal authorization for NROTC Mids to wear flight suits during summer cruise? Any Navadmin or other document (not unit-specific) that shows authorization will help. Also, has to be particular to 1/C aviation cruise, not CORTRAMID.

Thanks guys.

...Yes I googlged.
If you want them to fly don't they have to be in flight Suits? Have you tried contacting someone in charge of the mids at either the TYCOM or NETC?

I doubt you'll find any specific authorization, but I always thought the intent of 1/c cruise was to integrate the mids in to the wardroom and for the squadron to put the best aspects of Naval Aviation on display as a recruiting tool. Are you TADS to CPRG from VFA?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Call me crazy, but during the timeframe a mid is on his 1/c cruise, wouldn't he be considered part of the squadron wardroom? Hence, as we are allowed to wear flight suits in lieu of the uniform of the day, they are as well.

I doubt you will find a specific message saying "1/c mids are authorized to wear flight suits". I think it's similar to looking for a message authorizing mids to wear cammies if they go to Leatherneck with the Marines on their 1/c summer training.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, you show up to your 1/c cruise, the squadron chucks you an old flight suit and patches, wear your issued boots, everyone's happy (except some SWOs probably).

Python

pilot
Contributor
If they are to fly they have to be in flight suits that day. Technically if they are not going to fly that day they wouldn't have a reason. I know that's different though for 13XXs.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% want them in flight suits 100% of the time. I am not opposed to it. Just curious if anything legally says it in writing.

I agree with all the comments above though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's an authorized uniform of the day. If a command can afford to procure one as organizational clothing, I'm not sure why it matters if they're a Mid, an E-x, or an Intel O-x.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My shore-duty SWO XO wears a flight suit on an occasional Friday. Of course, I don't think anyone will give a post-command Cruiser CO any crap about it.

On an aside, when I was teaching NROTC, I would issue all the 1/C Midn going on avation cruise a flight suit. NBD.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they're assigned to a squadron for middie cruise, then they wear the uniform of the day. If the uniform of the day is flight suits, then that's what they wear.

Are you nuking this for any particular reason?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I have a bet of how this is going.
  1. Chiefs complain about MIDN in flight suits to CMC
  2. CMC complains to CO/XO
  3. CO/XO don't have the [gender neutral] stones to tell the CMC that MIDN in flight suits is OK because they're not commissioning as LDOs, so what the hell else is there.
  4. CO/XO instead decide to farm out MIDN trainO to find justification to placate the CMC.
  5. We become more like the AF, where permission is required instead of implied.