• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mid-Career Bonuses

fren8115

I have a small question for all of you NFO types. "What are the typical incentive bonuses being given to NFOs to stay on after their first initial EAOS is up (I think it is 8 years)?

A little background. I am prior service Navy. I got out in April of 2007 and attended FlightSafety Academy in Vero Beach, FL, earned my certificates and also earned a rotor-craft rating from another school West Palm Beach, FL. I mention this because I'm sure that you know how expensive these schools can be. I have approx. $100,000 in student loans to pay over the next 25-30 years.

I recently got picked up as an NFO and as a SWO. Of course, I am leaning toward the NFO job. However, since I am prior service, I do not qualify for a college loan repayment upon entering the Navy. I am going to have to depend on those bonuses to stay afloat. I've heard that the SWO bonus is quite substantial and occurs after only 4 years. This actually gets me interested in possibly pursuing that route.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Chris

MasterBates

I was $100K in the hole coming in as an O-1 (no E) and I got by fine. Just did not live as high on the hog as other JOs.

You can live without the bonus. If you need the bonus to "make ends meet" as an O-1E, you are not doing it right.

I would sooner cut off my remaining ball than be a SWO just to take their bonus. I did just take the ACCP Bonus "The Bonus" as it is known, and it was $125K for 5 more years. But it took me over 8 years post OCS just to be eligible.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Listen up, I have some career advice for you. Marry a doctor. Relying on bonuses to stay afloat is not only poor personal finance but there is no guarantee of the existence of such bonuses in the future.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
What in God's name was your gameplan? 100K??? wholyfu**insh@! 25-30 years??? Do not count on bonuses, they are just that. Sorry to piss in the punch.

fren8115

Thanks for the replies . . . I guess I exaggerated my financial situation. Of course I am not relying on the bonuses to really stay afloat. Really . . . it is just going to help relieve this burden. Flight school at $180 per hour per engine for ppl/com/multi/and instrument (300+ Flight Hours) along with supporting a family of four, 2 of which are younger than 2 so the wife can't work (she wouldn't make enough for both kids in day care), costs around $100K. I was all prepared to be a commercial airline pilot before I really learned the inter-workings of that career. That career path sucks. There aren't many companies that will even loan that amount for something like a flight school. Most pilots who start out in the Airline business go through this (unless daddy is rich). They only start out right seat in the regionals making like $25K per year. No thanks.

Anyway . . . the bonus mentioned ($125K). If these are awarded, is it different for SNAs than NFOs? I don't mean to further stirring the pot that NFOs are less important than SNAs. I know that they are basically equal. I am asking because, I figured it might be generally higher for NAs because it might cost more to train them. It would be worthwhile to keep them.

Don't worry . . . I am not basing my career (decision on SWO) on bonuses. Being miserable for the next 20 years is not worth any sort of monetary value.

Guys this is a cool site. Keep it up

navy09

None
Not sure how much research you've done, but...

The 'SWO bonus' isn't fully paid out until three years AFTER you start Dept Head school. That means you won't see all that money for at least 8 years or so after commissioning. The first chunk comes around the 4 year mark (maybe a little earlier).

I'm sure the aviation bonus works similarly (i.e. it's not all paid out at once).

Please correct me if any of this is bad gouge.

fren8115

Thanks all of you for your posts. I like to find out everything (including opinions and experiences) before making a 20 year decision. This is just one avenue of many.

I would appreciate any more comments regarding the bonuses for NFOs and SNOs.

-Chris

fren8115

Wow . . . that is more info than I think I needed at this point. Thanks a lot.

-Chris

RickRoss27

Banned
no offense francis, but I'm dumb as fuck. I should majored in something like finance. I'm such a dumbass, i will be living off peanuts for the rest of my life, while you've actually achieved something in your life.

and why not fly helo's, I'll never fly anything.

I like biscuits.

incubus852

pilot
no offense francis, but I'm dumb as fuck. I should majored in something like finance. I'm such a dumbass, i will be living off peanuts for the rest of my life, while you've actually achieved something in your life.

DUDE what is this all about?! I tried to read through the other posts involving this guy and haven't come up with anything other than he's a high school kid who's a little (sarcasm slathered on) over his head? WTF?

robav8r

None
Contributor

For the love of God, please, PLEASE just stop . . . . . . . .

fren8115

What a moron. He is obviously a high school kid who has never flown an hour (or even 1/10) in his life. What he doesn't understand is that even though fixed wing pilots get all of the girls. Helicopters are damn difficult birds to operate (-Exerpt from his origional post "and why in the hell would you wanna fly helos."). That is some tough s#%$!. Any pilot who has been around Helicopters knows that. Besides they're cool

What a looser. I will be the first to apologize to all of the Devil-Dogs out there for this idiot signing off with "Semper-Fi" (in his original post).

Go back to work flipping burgers at McDonald's you freaking wanna be flake. You don't have what it takes to be a Marine.

I don't know why I am even wasting my time on this looser. Grow up kid.