• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MGIB and BDCP

coredukes

None
I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can use the MGIB while in BDCP. My package is at the board this month and hopefully I'll find something out by the end of the week but I cant get an answer about my MGI-bill. My recruiter isn't sure and I cant locate an answer online any where, maybe someone can clarify this for me. Thanks

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can use the MGIB while in BDCP. My package is at the board this month and hopefully I'll find something out by the end of the week but I cant get an answer about my MGI-bill. My recruiter isn't sure and I cant locate an answer online any where, maybe someone can clarify this for me. Thanks

BDCP is an avenue to obtain a commission. Once accepted you enlist as an OCSN (E-3) active duty. Any prior benefits like MGIB are yours to use as you like but may be added to since you are now back on active duty status.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Not relevant to the OP but for search purposes, if you're non-prior, you cannot (according to my past NRD) pay into/start MGIB while in BDCP. You have to start paying into it after finishing OCS.

coredukes

None
Thanks for the responses so I can continue using my benefits. I dont know if everyone is aware but in Aug. 09 the MGIB benefits increase for those veterans of OEF/OIF. My other question is, in Aug. I will still be in school and with the new increase in MGIB I will be eligible for a housing allowance given by the VA if going to school full time. Now by receiving BAH from my enlisted pay (if accepted) I'm sure I wont be able to receive the additional BAH from the VA as well correct? Not sure if anyone will know this but any input would help

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Good question but I'm willing to bet you're not eligible for the housing allowance since you are back on active duty but it'll be interesting to see how they handle it...Good Luck.

coredukes

None
Thanks stalk, Ill let everyone know how it works out. Once again if I get picked up. fingers crossed!

sadjsd05

I think you should be eligible for all entitlements. If you were above an E3 (say an E4), will you get your rank back when accepted to BDCP rather than E3?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I think you should be eligible for all entitlements. If you were above an E3 (say an E4), will you get your rank back when accepted to BDCP rather than E3?

The issue with the VA is that some entitlements are available only if you are no longer on active duty (disability, etc.). That's why I think it would be interesting to find out about the language in the new law with regard to VA provided education housing allowance.

On the other point of rank, once separated from the service there is no guarantee of maintaining the same rank upon reentering. You would however be eligible for the step pay increases due to prior service. I can site numerous examples, officer and enlisted, that left one branch of the service and reentered another years later at a lower rank.

My thought: If accepted into BDCP, coredukes would be brought in as an E-3 over “X” number of years. X being his prior time. That would of course mean a higher paycheck plus the prior years would already count towards retirement. Also, if his total years (prior plus BDCP time) are over 4 upon commissioning he would fall under the O-1E section of the paycharts.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Stalk is correct. My BDCP contracts specifically says E-3 while in college. Prior rank only contributes to time of service and leave. You can make E-5 while in college by having a high GPA and referring someone. Upon graduation you make E-5 if not already there. This goes all the way up to commissioning.

Boomer91

I was prior enlisted and was accepted into BDCP. I was previously an E-5 but did not get to keep my rank. I did however still get to keep all of my benefits including the GI BILL and Illinois Veterans Grant.

coredukes

None
Stalk is correct. My BDCP contracts specifically says E-3 while in college. Prior rank only contributes to time of service and leave. You can make E-5 while in college by having a high GPA and referring someone. Upon graduation you make E-5 if not already there. This goes all the way up to commissioning.

Tom were you prior enlisted?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coredukes,
With the MGIB and because you are "Active Duty," you can use it but you will get pro-rated GI Bill for the days you are not in school. I had this happen while attending college under the piece of shit program called VEAP. Instead of getting my full months allowance, I would only get monies for the days in school. When did that affect me? Between semesters, XMAS Break, Summer Break, etc. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)