• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Methacholine Challenge Testing

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
Hi,

I have a question regarding the Methacholine Challenge testing for purposes of obtaining an asthma waiver. A few months ago, I was cleared to go to Balboa (Naval hospital in San Diego) to have a PFT done and when that was complete we received a letter back from N3M soon after stating that I would need to have a methacholine challenge test done prior to further waiver processing.

I asked my recruiter if Balboa can do this, and he stated that he didn't think they could do this for non-military personnel but would check and get back to me.

Has anyone here that required an asthma waiver with MCT ever get to have it done at a Naval hospital, and if so, what is the procedure in order to have this done? I would prefer to have it done in a Naval facility if possible so that the test is done correctly and in accordance with their requirements.

Thanks!
Jeff

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
SD,
Are you normally eligible for care in a military facility? If not, I'd be surprised if you were able to get any testing done there.
R/

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
I used to be a dependent because of my father's Navy service up until I was 23, but my last PFT was done in a Navy hospital and apparently was scheduled via the recruiter/MEPS, so I don't see any reason why I can't have the MCT done in the same place since I'm already on file there, so it was a bit of a surprise when the recruiter told me he's not sure if I can have this procedure at the same place.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I did one when I joined. I don't think it was at a military facility, but the Navy set it up and paid for it.

BleedGreen

pilot
The doctor should have no problem putting in a referral for that test. I was referred to Balboa for an MCT last year around this time for a commissioning physical. A friend of mine completed his entire flight physical for the Army at a branch medical clinic in San Diego, and all he needed was a letter of intent from his recruiter.

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
Last time I spoke with my recruiter she said that the problem was that MEPS had already referred me to Balboa to have the initial PFT done, and that normally they don't sponsor applicants for a second consult and that the responsibility is usually on the part of the applicant to have this done.

The issue: I checked with clinics and the only one that I found that can do this is over at UCSD Medical Center, but after running my civilian insurance, the copay + deductible + cost of procedure will end up costing me around $800.00, which is really steep.

Does anyone know of any clinics in San Diego that can do this MCT procedure in a manner that's more affordable?

Also, is there is a way to get the Navy to sponsor the test if the cost of the test prevents the applicant from having a fair shot at going through the system, or is it really gonna be "pay up or give up" ?

Thanks!
Jeff

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
SD,
To my knowledge, there is no mechanism for the Navy to pay for a workup if cost is prohibitive for the applicant. There really isn't any incentive for Navy Medicine to assume that liability (both financial and medicolegal) to provide that service to a candidate who may or may not meet standards after incurring that expense.
R/