• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Merchant Marine Academy

mahopacjock14

I want to become a military aviator preferably in the Navy but any other branch would be amazing. Im not very knowledgable at all however on the Merchant Marine Academy. Can you become a pilot through this academy? What branch exactly is it? Is it more difficult to get into the the Naval academy?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The way I see it, if my friend went there and went to Ranger School upon graduation, it can't be too shabby.
Getting into Ranger school is easy. Graduating Ranger school is significantly harder - it takes both physical and mental endurance. But what school you went to has nothing to do with either getting in or graduating. Plenty of high school grads to it all the time. Your friend attendance at USMMA may have gotten him an Army commission but it had nothing to do with Ranger school.

Plenty of Navy officers have received their commissions through USMMA. Designator selection at USMMA is just like the Navy Academy or a Navy ROTC unit. You give the Navy your wish list of designators and they tell you which one you'll be.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with HAL....plenty....did the web site help?

KP1.jpg

kp2.jpg

zdbrown24

I'm a 2009 USMMA grad myself going through Primary now.

To answer your questions as best I can, I'd say USNA is harder to get into. I will say, however, that you have a better chance of getting a a pilot slot straight out of USMMA than Annapolis. In my graduating class of 193, we had 3 CG flight slots for 12 applicants, 15 or so Navy out of 20 applicants (the remaining went NFO, not sure of exact number on this one.) We also went 1 for 3 on AF and 2 for 2 for Marines, a small truckload of Army folks (last count I had 12 though lost touch with some folks). I don't pretend to have an intimate knowledge of USNA or any other Academy but I'd guess they're trying to fit a lot more folks through a comparatively much smaller pipe.

Most folks don't go active duty- rumor has it my year was a record year for most branches and less than half the class went active IIRC. That said, the overwhelming majority of people who wanted a pilot slot got one. Hope this helps.

STOVLer

pilot
You can definitely get a flight spot, i'm an 06 grad and I was shocked when I found out I had a flight spot. Not to dismiss all my hard work but... with the grades I had at KP, it must be less competitive. For such a small school it gets an inordinate amount of flight billets in Navy/CG/Marines.

And to echo what zdbrown said, who i think was on the lax team with me, it's probably easier to get into KP. But no less painful of an experience. This thread has some info too: http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/usmma-kings-point-ny.34505/

Schnugg is your license up to date? Mine expired this year... I can't decide if I want to put in the effort to get it current again.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg is your license up to date? Mine expired this year... I can't decide if I want to put in the effort to get it current again.

Nah, I never got a chance to use it and was wrapped up in Desert Storm Shield ('90) when I needed to renew. Makes a nice wall hanging now.

I'd renew if you can. You never know.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I kept my 3rd AE up for 15 years doing the take home test. There is an AQD for having a Engine or Deck liscence. PLUS if your liscence is still current, you can wear the giant chicken pin on your uniform!

Doing the take home test was easy when you can buy the USCG question bank and answers from Mass Maritime. (I don't know if the other schools seek the same think, but since I went to Mass, I got the books from there)

I would recommend keeping it current. Once you let it lapse, I may be really hard to get it back. Other than spending the time, there is no down side to renewing your license.
Besides, if the Navy doesn't work out, you know you'll be able to find work shipping out.