• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bully

Guys,
Is MEPS located in different locations throughout the US or just one place?
Also, what goes on there? How long does it take? Any other info on MEPS is appreciated.
Thanks
Bully

Dave Shutter

MEPS is an acronym for Military Entrance Processing Station. They are located throughout the country usually in large cities and recruiter stations work in satellite fashion around them, relying on the MEPS for services ranging from testing, to physicals to retrieval of records. All new military personnel for all the services funnel through their local stations. Once you pass whatever aptitude testing is required to qualify for your branch and field (often done at MEPS i'm told) you spend about a day at MEPS doing all of your important and official processing steps which including physicals, testing and filling out paperwork allowing the jouney to begin . They have their own medical facilities with personel and equipment to do all of their own testing including dental, vision, hearing, urinalysis, blood/HIV, Orthopaedic, the works. The actual MEPS personel will be from all the services but each branch has it's own little (or large) sub-office that they will work you out of. As an officer applicant once all your testing and physicals are done your applicant packet goes off for acceptence to your community. Then they bring you back in later to sign if accepted I quess, my experience is on the enlisted side and they had the whole thing down to a cattle call system where you were in, tested, signed and sworn in in one day. As an officer you have to be hired by your individual community by a selection board and then report to OCS on your own, where they truck you off from MEPS at a later date if your enlisted.

Just my experences as an enlisted guy and what I was told about the officer side of it as far as one station is concerned. Other stations may be set up or work differently so you might want to check with your recruiter to see exactly how your station does things. I do remember an older guy in a suit with a folder that said "officer applicant" going through testing when I was enlisting, he was wisked through the huge lines of enlisted men and I can't imagine his testing taking more than a few hours.

hope this helps

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 9 June 2000

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ahh such fond memories... mass medical inspection where you are treated like cattle at an FDA inspection... the "oh even though we promised you this when you DEPed in, it is no longer available and we can't guarantee your A school, how about you sign up as an undesignated seaman recruit, it's REAL EASY to get it handled in the Fleet!" ... Yeah right... sniff, sniff... such fond memories, I go to carnivals and walk by the games booths and get yelled at by the hick carnies to get that same loving feeling that I got at Jacksonville MEPS. God bless the Navy and its truthful recruiting system, where a sucker is born ever second, just sign on the dotted line sonny!

Dave Shutter

Like I said on an earlier post, there were about a half dozen guys in basic with me who were told that the MOS of 19 KILO, M-1 Armor Crewman was "temporary" and that their "real orders" were coming any day now!

How can those recruiter sleep at night!

Also, basic isn't really the word for Armor, it's OSUT: One Station Unit Training, boot and advanced in one pop with hard as nails tanker NCO's as your D.I.'s! 14 weeks at Fort Know in the wintertime as the Gulf War was about to kick off! I'll never forget it!

Q: funny what you said! I was gonna tell Bully exactly what you said about the Army MEPS guy who worked the computer station who actually reserved your MOS training slot and printed up your actual contract, your recuiter's the good cop, he's the bad cop! I had a big paragraph explaining him as the car dealership finance manager: the closer! But I deleted it because he's applying for officer and I thought it erroneous.

Another thing; there was a two hour special on the Blues the other day "Around the world at the speed of sound", and they were talking about how good the maintenance is. I tuned to my dad and told him about what you had said on a post about the solo having to do an emergency landing and jump in the number 7 bird, just then they showed the incident on the documentary with the exact footage of the landing and the take-off of the reserve jet. Too funny!

Fly Navy!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 9 June 2000

Dave Shutter

The history channel this week has been showing a trio of two hour shows on air demonstration teams, both at 1 and 6 pm. Of course by the time I learned this, the 6pm showing of the Blue Angel show was half over and I didn't bother taping the rest. The other two I had seen before, "Into the Wild Blue", a two hour show hosted by Tom (Viper) Skerret, on different teams both American and Foreign with an emphasis on the Blues and T-Birds. And there was a third show solely about the T-Birds during a Pacific tour which I have also seen. If your that much of a connoisere, there are links to A&E where the videos are for sale for around twenty bucks. If you go to HistoryChannel.com they have listings for both their daily and weekly shows. At a glance you can see the emphasis on military history. A beautiful thing!

As for the emergency landing Q: they didn't say where or exactly when but if your saying mid-eighties then I'm thinking it must be a different incident. This show was definitely late nineties and they were also Hornet's which, as you know, started up in 87'.

Fly Navy!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.