• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS

TCulkeen

Hey guys, I just completed my application for OCS. Everything is in I just need to go to MEPS. I am currently outside body fat standards and am going to MEPS next week. Will my application be disqualified for that?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
I can't tell you yes or no on getting disqualified. You say you are currently outside of body fat standards, however do you still pass by weight/height? If you pass that way hey won't tape you. I will tell you though that my recruiter would not even schedule my MEPS appointment until they verified in the office that I met the standards. Have you spoken with your OR about this? Do they know?

Good luck! I know that this is an exciting and extremely stressful time. I am sure that someone here will have better answers for you than I have!

TCulkeen

Thanks PenguinGal. Yes, my OR knows but he doesn't seemed concerned about it. I am going in next Thursday so I hope it all works out.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
If your OR knows about it then you should be fine. Good luck! Let me know how it goes as I still have to complete MEPS myself. :)

exNavyOffRec

if you are over HT/WT then they will tape you, if you are over by the tape then MEPS will RBJ "return best judgement" you until you are under weight, by MEPS guidlines if you are 10 pounds over you wait 5 weeks, 2 pounds per week.

They will not release your medical until you meet either HT/WT or BF, I know if we sent someone over that we knew was over on either we would get blasted

OHNavy

Truckin'
On the subject of MEPS...

NPQ at MEPS this morning for heartburn 2-3 times per month. Controlled with OTC meds including Prilosec. Never seen a civilian doctor for it because it is very well under control. No other issues at MEPS. Great health overall.

Should I see my civilian doctor to have a note drafted up on the subject? The MEPS physician did not seem concerned at all. Should I be concerned?

exNavyOffRec

On the subject of MEPS...

NPQ at MEPS this morning for heartburn 2-3 times per month. Controlled with OTC meds including Prilosec. Never seen a civilian doctor for it because it is very well under control. No other issues at MEPS. Great health overall.

Should I see my civilian doctor to have a note drafted up on the subject? The MEPS physician did not seem concerned at all. Should I be concerned?

Aren't you a drilling reservist? If so you never should have gone to MEPS and may have just created many headaches for yourself.

OHNavy

Truckin'
Aren't you a drilling reservist? If so you never should have gone to MEPS and may have just created many headaches for yourself.

Yes, I'm SELRES and that was my original plan (avoid MEPS). I tried and the NOSC medical staff directed I go to MEPS for the physical. NOSC medical indicated they tried to do an officer physical recently and due to issues (somehow not performed to the standard), now everyone goes to MEPS for these physicals out of my NOSC.

MEPS PDQ’d me based on the indication of heartburn meds in the medical documents submitted pre-physical. My best guess is N33 then figured a waiver is possible in my case and that they requested MEPS conduct a physical to rule out other medical problems. I was concerned that my MEPS physician still indicated "disqualified" per the heartburn after going through my history yesterday.

If I understand the process correctly (after reading the AW boards and elsewhere, my records now go back to N33 for a waiver. Sound legit?

Thanks all.

exNavyOffRec

Yes, I'm SELRES and that was my original plan (avoid MEPS). I tried and the NOSC medical staff directed I go to MEPS for the physical. NOSC medical indicated they tried to do an officer physical recently and due to issues (somehow not performed to the standard), now everyone goes to MEPS for these physicals out of my NOSC.

MEPS PDQ’d me based on the indication of heartburn meds in the medical documents submitted pre-physical. My best guess is N33 then figured a waiver is possible in my case and that they requested MEPS conduct a physical to rule out other medical problems. I was concerned that my MEPS physician still indicated "disqualified" per the heartburn after going through my history yesterday.

If I understand the process correctly (after reading the AW boards and elsewhere, my records now go back to N33 for a waiver. Sound legit?

Thanks all.

Depending on the doc at N3M it could take a while, I had a drilling reservist that had the same issue, consult and consult and 2 years later he was cleared.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
if you are over HT/WT then they will tape you, if you are over by the tape then MEPS will RBJ "return best judgement" you until you are under weight, by MEPS guidlines if you are 10 pounds over you wait 5 weeks, 2 pounds per week.

They will not release your medical until you meet either HT/WT or BF, I know if we sent someone over that we knew was over on either we would get blasted
I was told last week that the RBJ rule was 4 days per pound, e.g. I was 10 pounds over, so they gave me 40 days to come back and try again. I guess for small weight differences, they're close enough, just thought I'd mention it.

OHNavy

Truckin'
Depending on the doc at N3M it could take a while, I had a drilling reservist that had the same issue, consult and consult and 2 years later he was cleared.

Wow, I was hoping 2 months. :) Nothing I can do about it now but sit tight. Appreciate the perspective as always.

OHNavy

Truckin'
and the guy in question did finally get commissioned.

To close out my original question above for the next person searching for info on GERD waivers, I learned today that I am now "physically qualified" by N3M. It took 4 business days to turn around, which exceeded my expectations by a mile. The acid reflux was the only red flag on my physical, so that may explain part of the quick turnaround. I also submitted a personal statement on OTC med use and a letter from my civilian doc.

Appreciate the continued insight on the AW boards and to those who provided guidance via PM. Feels great. Thanks all.

exNavyOffRec

To close out my original question above for the next person searching for info on GERD waivers, I learned today that I am now "physically qualified" by N3M. It took 4 business days to turn around, which exceeded my expectations by a mile. The acid reflux was the only red flag on my physical, so that may explain part of the quick turnaround. I also submitted a personal statement on OTC med use and a letter from my civilian doc.

Appreciate the continued insight on the AW boards and to those who provided guidance via PM. Feels great. Thanks all.

Whatever your doc said must have been magic words!!