• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS and OCS flight physical question regarding past prescription of advair/allergy

Jj299

Hi, I am currently a 25 year old hopeful SNA candidate and wondering about how the navy deals with my situation.

So when I was 12 my pediatrician signed a prescription for advair because I had symptoms of asthma and was also given a prescription for an inhaler when I was 15, but my pediatrician soon realized when I was 16 that I just had allergies to ragweed, grass, pollen, and pet dander.

Looking at my medical record I don't see any hard diagnosis that I had asthma but the record of advair/inhaler prescription + allergies worries me that either MEPS or NAMI might DQ me. I currently have no symptoms of asthma and allergies as well, so my question is:

1. How should I prepare myself in preparing for MEPS/flight physical? ( I read bunch of advice, both internet and OR, on this where I should get a waiver and hope for the best - MEPS is usually lenient but NAMI isn't or some have said that if I don't show physical symptoms of asthma during the checkup/OCS they usually don't dig deep and that you shouldn't admit that you had past problems.
  2. How does MEPS/NAMI look at medical records? Do I have to personally collect my medical records and hand it to them or do I list my primary physicians and they fax it to the navy upon request?

Thank you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi, I am currently a 25 year old hopeful SNA candidate and wondering about how the navy deals with my situation.

So when I was 12 my pediatrician signed a prescription for advair because I had symptoms of asthma and was also given a prescription for an inhaler when I was 15, but my pediatrician soon realized when I was 16 that I just had allergies to ragweed, grass, pollen, and pet dander.

Looking at my medical record I don't see any hard diagnosis that I had asthma but the record of advair/inhaler prescription + allergies worries me that either MEPS or NAMI might DQ me. I currently have no symptoms of asthma and allergies as well, so my question is:

1. How should I prepare myself in preparing for MEPS/flight physical? ( I read bunch of advice, both internet and OR, on this where I should get a waiver and hope for the best - MEPS is usually lenient but NAMI isn't or some have said that if I don't show physical symptoms of asthma during the checkup/OCS they usually don't dig deep and that you shouldn't admit that you had past problems.
  2. How does MEPS/NAMI look at medical records? Do I have to personally collect my medical records and hand it to them or do I list my primary physicians and they fax it to the navy upon request?
Thank you.

You posted the same thing in doc's corner, no need to repost gain. There's a ton of posts on there IRT allergies and while you're at it, can browse the NAMI guide (available via google search) to see if there might be some concerns when it comes to the NAMI physical.