• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mental Health Waiver - Likelihood

AM2SNA

Hello all,

I’m AD with 5 years, about 3.5 years into my naval career I was in a bit of a bad situation relating to trauma I experienced as a child that began to surface after my birth of my son. I went to my doc, he told me to try therapy first and then when I couldn’t get in contact with a therapist I went back and asked for medication, Welbutrin to be specific.

I found that after taking the medication, I really experienced no proper benefits, didn’t even finish the bottle and I was able to finally find a therapist. I still see my therapist to this day as it is very effective to talk and I’ve grown comfortable with him.

I am certain now I had no mental illness and was just dealing with some very horrible things that I had no control over that left me anxious and unable to concentrate. I have recovered from that pretty much completely and all anger and anxiety problems I had have subsided.

Will I have an issue being cleared or not? Looking at the waiver guide, Wellbutrin grounds a pilot until two weeks following completion of treatment, and I’ve never been prescribed it in two years or taken it and a DQ for depression is about 12 months asymptomatic. Will therapy cause an issue?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Two things-

1- therapy doesn't cause any issues.

2- you're not qualified to refute a medical diagnosis. You'll need a doctor for that.

AM2SNA

Two things-

1- therapy doesn't cause any issues.

2- you're not qualified to refute a medical diagnosis. You'll need a doctor for that.
That is true, but looking at my medical record I was never diagnosed with anything, no depression, anxiety or ptsd. It only says "mood disorder" so... I'm kind of in a grey area mentally.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That is true, but looking at my medical record I was never diagnosed with anything, no depression, anxiety or ptsd. It only says "mood disorder" so... I'm kind of in a grey area mentally.
So you were diagnosed with a mood disorder.

That's not nothing. That's step 1 in the mental health chain.

Also, just because one med didn't work doesn't mean the diagnosis was wrong. Another med could have worked. Some people take years to find the pharmacological cocktail that stabilizes them. Psychotropics don't work like antibiotics.

Mental health is a thing. Don't dismiss it. It's okay that you had some things going wrong and needed help.

Honesty is the best policy here. But you're going to need to be honest with a new doctor and have that diagnosis revisited. The recruiting pros can clue you in better than I can.

There is a path forward, but don't lie.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello all,

I’m AD with 5 years, about 3.5 years into my naval career I was in a bit of a bad situation relating to trauma I experienced as a child that began to surface after my birth of my son. I went to my doc, he told me to try therapy first and then when I couldn’t get in contact with a therapist I went back and asked for medication, Welbutrin to be specific.

I found that after taking the medication, I really experienced no proper benefits, didn’t even finish the bottle and I was able to finally find a therapist. I still see my therapist to this day as it is very effective to talk and I’ve grown comfortable with him.

I am certain now I had no mental illness and was just dealing with some very horrible things that I had no control over that left me anxious and unable to concentrate. I have recovered from that pretty much completely and all anger and anxiety problems I had have subsided.

Will I have an issue being cleared or not? Looking at the waiver guide, Wellbutrin grounds a pilot until two weeks following completion of treatment, and I’ve never been prescribed it in two years or taken it and a DQ for depression is about 12 months asymptomatic. Will therapy cause an issue?

You need to be fully cleared by a medical professional (i.e. not you) and off meds for a certain period of time (usually 1-2 years min) in order to be considered for a waiver. Anything else than that will likely be an automatic med DQ.

AM2SNA

So you were diagnosed with a mood disorder.

That's not nothing. That's step 1 in the mental health chain.

Also, just because one med didn't work doesn't mean the diagnosis was wrong. Another med could have worked. Some people take years to find the pharmacological cocktail that stabilizes them. Psychotropics don't work like antibiotics.

Mental health is a thing. Don't dismiss it. It's okay that you had some things going wrong and needed help.

Honesty is the best policy here. But you're going to need to be honest with a new doctor and have that diagnosis revisited. The recruiting pros can clue you in better than I can.

There is a path forward, but don't
Youre right. I have been without serious symptoms for a while and working through my issues through therapy since being off medication. Thank you for setting me straight on that.

Last edited:

AM2SNA

You need to be fully cleared by a medical professional (i.e. not you) and off meds for a certain period of time (usually 1-2 years min) in order to be considered for a waiver. Anything else than that will likely be an automatic med DQ.
Can my squadron doc clear me during my pre-commissioning or do I have to wait until OCS to get started with that? Not really tuned into the medical side of this other than NAMI being the final sign off.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can my squadron doc clear me during my pre-commissioning or do I have to wait until OCS to get started with that? Not really tuned into the medical side of this other than NAMI being the final sign off.

You’re missing the points. Step 1 is going to see your PCM, discuss the diagnosis / current condition and see if you can be considered and diagnosed fully cleared and no longer needing medication.

Step 2: If there’s a plan, be off medication for at least 12+ months.

Step 3: Apply and submit for a medical waiver. If you’re cleared, you can proceed in the OCS process. If you’re DQ, try again in 6-12 months.

AM2SNA

You’re missing the points. Step 1 is going to see your PCM, discuss the diagnosis / current condition and see if you now considering fully cleared and no longer needing medication.

Step 2: If there’s a plan, be off medication for at least 12+ months.

Step 3: Apply and submit for a medical waiver. If you’re cleared, you can proceed in the OCS process. If you’re DQ, try again in 6-12 months.
Got it. Thank you