• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Waiver?

motorhead

Hola,

I submitted what I believe to be a very strong SNA application package a few weeks ago for the January selection board. Then last Sunday my dumbass broke both my wrists and fractured 3 vertebrae on a dirtbike. Until then I never even had stitches much less any broken bones. On the bright side I don't need any sugery, nothing has slipped or is out of alignment; only broken.

I spoke to a retired Commander who said not to tell my recruiter and when and if I get selected to delay MEPS until I'm healthy enough to pass thr PRT. At MEPS they'll find out about my broken bones.

Wondering if anyone has any advice or made SNA with similar circumstances

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Broken bones are not a big deal. NOMI will only care that you are symptom free, have full range of motion and are (mostly) pain free. I don't think a waiver will be needed.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Be honest with your recruiter so they can help you. Hiding important information like this is not a good way to get a commission. Honor, courage, commitment.

BDCPCowboy

Be honest with your recruiter so they can help you. Hiding important information like this is not a good way to get a commission. Honor, courage, commitment.

A lack of integrity will show at OCS. So be honest with everything.

I agree, not to mention the permanent damage you could do to you back but ultimately the choice is yours and yours alone.

torpedo0126

i completely disagree with the statement about being completely honest. and what I mean by that is NAMI SPECIFICALLY looks for that kind of stuff to NPQ people. the thing is though, you should be honest because you could potentially put people's lives at risk if you have permanent damage.

the Navy has a huge surplus of JOs. a lot of redesignation boards for people NPQed for flight end up just getting send home.

the thing you have to your advantage is that you were seen by a civilian doctor and not a Navy doctor. the choice to mark that stuff on your medical history is up to you

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
i completely disagree with the statement about being completely honest. and what I mean by that is NAMI SPECIFICALLY looks for that kind of stuff to NPQ people. the thing is though, you should be honest because you could potentially put people's lives at risk if you have permanent damage.

the Navy has a huge surplus of JOs. a lot of redesignation boards for people NPQed for flight end up just getting send home.

the thing you have to your advantage is that you were seen by a civilian doctor and not a Navy doctor. the choice to mark that stuff on your medical history is up to you

You are wrong. What level of experience do you base your, ummm, advice on?

Integrity matters, all the time, not just when it is convenient.

NAMI does not specifically look for that stuff, nor do they look to NPQ people.

torpedo0126

your right in that I dont have a huge amount of experience. however, just from meeting people who have been NPQed I have drawn conclusions.

NAMI is most definitely picky.

for instance, say if I had allergies back when I was 10-12, i probably would not mark that on my physicals. Why? because I grew out of them and haven't had any trouble. technically, I should mark that down. however, NAMI NPQs people for allergies--not in every case but enough where I wouldn't want to draw attention to it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
"Picky", sure NAMI is picky... and so are your IP's and your civilian instructors etc. etc. The Navy is "picky". But they aren't out to get you. If its really something thats no big deal then chances are it won't be an issue with them. If its something that could reasonably cause problems in the cockpit then yea you're gonna get NPQ'ed. It's up to them because they're the experts not you. Full disclosure is always your best bet. Not volunteering information that they don't ask you about is one thing, but purposely giving false statements is a violation of your integrity and can really come back to haunt you.

torpedo0126

Motorhead you should definitely defer to the people with the more knowledge. i am giving you my small perspective from the NPQs ive met and my own NAMI whammy. but again, i'm not a flight surgeon and my statements simply observations. integrity is extremely important im just trying to say don't draw attention to yourself if you don't have to.

motorhead

To address the above threads, not reporting my injuries was never an option. I'm not sure how it was interpreted like that.

The good news is I got selected for SNA in the January board! The bad news is I still have not been released from my doctor's care and thus cannot go to MEPS. The doctors said I could resume normal activity in 3 months, which comes at the end of this February. Now they're being flaky about releasing me from care. I have an appointment at the end of this month hopefully I'll find something out.

I told my recruiter the whole story and he decided to file for a 30 day extension before I have to report to MEPS. I told him that I haven't done any exercising in the last 3 months per doctor's orders and would need some time to get back in shape for the PRT. I'm hoping we can file for another 30-60 days because the first 30 days is up around now.

My question is (assuming my broken bones aren't a problem) how long will the Navy wait for me to heal before giving my spot away? I don't know how the process works, but my Army buddy tells me if you miss your date to go to OCS you'll be waiting for a long time for an open spot.

Also, I'll be turning 27 in November. Is there a waiver for that assuming I don't make it in time?

motorhead

The moral of the story is don't ride dirtbikes or do anything else retarded during the timespan of submitting your package and going to OCS.

This guy got DQ'd due to injuries sustained to his back and wrists with no option of waivers, guess there's plenty of applicants without injuries.

Army WOFT here I come!