• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Waiver process?

AirRyan

Generally, at what point does the request for a medical waiver begin as a DCO candidate? Example, before or after your DCO selection?

Does your qualifications weigh into your request for waiver, or is it purely a question of whatever the manpower needs are at the time of your waiver request, assuming that your condition of course, is waiverable?

I'm curious because I've read a lot lately, to include the Federal government and in particular the FBI under the DOJ (Kapache v. Holder, 2009) how even they are required to abide by Federal law under the ADA act.

We all know how at least according to the law, medicals are "supposed" to be at the end of the process and only after a conditional offer of employment is made. So by law - you wouldn't think it would be legal for the medical standards to deviate per current recruiting needs, so how is that legal for the DoD but not even the FBI/DOJ?

I know full well how the military has used the eye exams as grounds for disqualifying pilot applicants for years, even though they were otherwise capable and qualified to fly. It was just a way for they to trim down the applicant pool, I got that. We all know that Fair is a four lettered F-word, but then again the law is the law, right? (As you can tell, I'm not a big fan of legal hypocrisies.)

You would think it would just be easier (if not legally more defensible) to say "we don't wish to hire you right now" and get really picky in the application process, as opposed to saying "although you have a medical issue which is otherwise waiverable, we choose not to grant you a waiver at this time and thereby not extend to you employment."

Devil Duck

You'll find many folks on this board who made it all the way through the application process, were selected, went to MEPS where their medical issues became known to the Navy, were NOT granted a waiver, and ultimately were not commissioned.

If you know you have a medical issue that would require waiver discuss it with your recruiter early. The recruiter should be able to give you the straight scoop. I've also met other candidates who went through MEPS and started the medical waiver process before the application was submitted. Imagine that method has a higher probability of success.

We need more Marines in the Navy - good luck. SF, DD

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Do DCO candidates go through MEPS? Are you sure you're talking about DCO and not regular URL accession OCS/BDCP candidates?

AirRyan

I'd definitely agree with the earlier in the process the better for submitting a waiver request, I just hope it's given a "fair" shot. But then again, there is that word again! I've heard the Navy Reserve has more lenient standards for waiver, but this just allows them greater flexibility when selecting applicants. If they aren't going to be bringing on a whole lot of new people this fiscal year (will there even be an appropriations bill this year?) than why grant a waiver for someone when they have a bunch of others right behind them, equally qualified? That's what they will tell you, at least - even though I don't believe it to be entirely ethical.

If you've been out 4 years or more I think it is, you need a whole new physical. DCO still goes to MEPS although I have read where some are able to get a private physician to perform the test, if you want to pay for it.

ADA, the American with Disabilities Act, yes. There was a 2007 movie with Ron Livingston called "Music Within" which was about Richard Pimentel, a Vietnam veteran who became the impetus behind the legislation that ultimately became the ADA.

In an era of the repeal of DADT where people have resorted to filing lawsuits in order to serve, (a right or a privilege?) I'm just of the opinion that a physical disability shouldn't disqualify those who are otherwise physically capable of performing the job, but the DoD is apparently the only place left in the Federal government that has not yet heard of the ADA. I was surprised when the ADA was used to win a lawsuit against the FBI for a Special Agent applicant, and so I figured if J. Edgar Hoover's agents are not immune from the law, then who is? (Answer should be: nobody.)

I think a better and more legally complaint way, would to set the bar for military recruiting would be something just like the cutting scores used for promotion that I remember back when I was a non-NCO trying to go NCO, they raised the cutting score on a monthly basis so that they only promoted as many as they needed for each MOS. Cutting scores would rise and fall all the time, as necessary. They can raise the minimum ASVAB score or education requirements to thin out the applicant pool to meet recruiting goals as desired. That way, the only medical waiver process would be for those conditions which are presently labeled as "non-waiverable."

Devil Duck

DCO's require the same pre-commissioning physical as officers from other sources. The physical can be administered at MEPS, through a contract physician, or through ones private doctor. I tried the latter two and ultimately determined MEPS to be the path of least resistance.

patsox

After reading the first response to this thread I must admit that the DCO process is somewhat backwards in that the recruiter, in their best attempt to put the best candidate in front of the board, should push to have the candidate go through a physical PRIOR to submitting a package. I know that is not their decision but it would save a few the heartache of going through this process only to be told yes and then no! You are right in that the Navy has the pleasure of being much more particular on who they bring in and with what, if any, health issues that he or she might have. Waivers can be granted to candidates for critical skills such as Medical/Dental Officers while for Intel/Supply Officers, yes I am applying myself, the waiver is not going to be granted because there is a flood of qualified applicants while it is extremely difficult to recruit Medical/Dental Officers in the Navy Reserve. I can guarantee that a private doctor is not going to know what the Navy deems a condition unfit for military duty. For example a history (2 or more times) of kidney stone (renal calculus) makes you unfit for military duty. HOWEVER if you are trying to enlist you can get a waiver if you are trying to get a comission a waiver is not going to be granted. Broken bones that required the placement of a screw or plate is another automatic denial. I could go on and on but if you have a condition that you feel is going to not be waived I would either check with the recruiter or the Manual of Navy Medicine. Also while we are on the subject do you think that if you had a condition that say required the use of certain medication that requires a waiver (to enter military service) do you think that the AOR Surgeon is going to grant you a waiver to deploy? Most times he or she is going to send you home from NMPS and make you go in front of a Medical Review Board to continue military service- you are non-deployable unless you can prove otherwise at that point. You can check out the USCENTCOM Individual and Unit Deployment Policy and all of its attachments and updates. Good luck to all in their military careers!

AirRyan

From what all I have gathered over the years, there are three main questions when considering someone's suitability for service. A) can they do the job, B) can they pass a PFT/PRT, and C) can they be deployed worldwide? I think some jobs are more cut and dry when it comes to defining specific duties, and while you can get a waiver to not have to perform one particular aspect of a PFT/PRT, when it comes time to evaluate the future career, it could be a disqualifies depending upon how bad they might need your services. And when it comes to world wide availability, if you require specific medications to perform your duties, that probably will disqualify you in all but the most rare examples.

But even if you met all of the above criteria, had no broken bones or surgeries, or any other DQ's on the medical at MEPS, it's still up to the whim of whomever it is when your file crosses their desk. Still would rather be told that there were more competitive applicants in front of me rather than the inconsistent medical process.

patsox

I absolutely agree! Unfortunately it is what it is and if anything it is going to get worse with the down-sizing of forces- good luck and I hope it works out for you.