• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medical Condition "Bible"

Andrew_franny

Hey guys, I have been looking for a thread that has compiled locations of all Farnsworth Lantern tests (I was an idiot and didn't save it). I was wondering if any of you had knowledge of the thread or other info on the whereabouts of the test? I live in Washington. Also, I have compelling evidence alluding to the Navy still using the Falant for applicants due to poor circulation of the CCVT.

ShootingStar

Hey all. Appreciate all the work you guys put in by answering these questions.

I've had pretty well documented asthma from as far back as I remember. Lot's of prescriptions for it. I searched on this board and saw all the posts saying to get a PFT and MCT. Well, I did that and it's negative for asthma. I even got the pulmonologist to write up a letter stating that he sees no reason, in his professional opinion, that I couldn't be a SNA.

Recruiter told me to get ahold of my original diagnosis. I'm doing some legwork trying to find it, but I'm willing to bet that no such records exist. I would've been diagnosed before I was 5. Even for my prescriptions, I can only go back 7 years. Recruiter told me that if I can't find it, get a letter from the doc's office stating they don't have it, and why.

Here's the big question:
If I can't find my original diagnosis, and the PFT and MCT say I don't have it, would I even need to go through any of the medical procedures at all? (I suspect this is a question for my recruiter, but I wanted to see if there were any thoughts here.)

My line of thinking is, if I can't find the diagnosis, and the test says I don't have asthma....I don't have asthma. I'm pretty much worried that my prescription history will sink me.

exNavyOffRec

Hey all. Appreciate all the work you guys put in by answering these questions.

I've had pretty well documented asthma from as far back as I remember. Lot's of prescriptions for it. I searched on this board and saw all the posts saying to get a PFT and MCT. Well, I did that and it's negative for asthma. I even got the pulmonologist to write up a letter stating that he sees no reason, in his professional opinion, that I couldn't be a SNA.

Recruiter told me to get ahold of my original diagnosis. I'm doing some legwork trying to find it, but I'm willing to bet that no such records exist. I would've been diagnosed before I was 5. Even for my prescriptions, I can only go back 7 years. Recruiter told me that if I can't find it, get a letter from the doc's office stating they don't have it, and why.

Here's the big question:
If I can't find my original diagnosis, and the PFT and MCT say I don't have it, would I even need to go through any of the medical procedures at all? (I suspect this is a question for my recruiter, but I wanted to see if there were any thoughts here.)

My line of thinking is, if I can't find the diagnosis, and the test says I don't have asthma....I don't have asthma. I'm pretty much worried that my prescription history will sink me.
If you had never been prescribed meds and no documents were available then maybe not saying anything could be the way to go as you have no way to prove you actually had any issues.

The thing is here you have been prescribed meds and it sounds like you were prescribed them recently, the prescription itself would be an indicator of a diagnosis.

One of the things they will consider is how long it has been since you filled a prescription.

ShootingStar

If you had never been prescribed meds and no documents were available then maybe not saying anything could be the way to go as you have no way to prove you actually had any issues.

The thing is here you have been prescribed meds and it sounds like you were prescribed them recently, the prescription itself would be an indicator of a diagnosis.

One of the things they will consider is how long it has been since you filled a prescription.

I appreciate the insight. It looks like I'm gonna be fighting this tooth and nail, then. The last time I filled a prescription was probably 3-4 months ago. All I can hope for is that the negative test and physician's letter can work a miracle for me.

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate the insight. It looks like I'm gonna be fighting this tooth and nail, then. The last time I filled a prescription was probably 3-4 months ago. All I can hope for is that the negative test and physician's letter can work a miracle for me.

That prescription thing could be what does you in.

ShootingStar

That prescription thing could be what does you in.

I sent my recruiter my prescription history BEFORE I even had the MCT scheduled and he didn't rule me out right then and there, so I'll just do my best to follow his instructions, and post somewhere here detailing my results for the next asthmatic wanna-be aviator.

This is the hand I was dealt. Got to roll with it now. If I can commission at all, I'll consider it a win. At the risk of sounding like a defeatist, I'd jump through a million hoops and be a happy SWO if that's all I get cleared for medically.

exNavyOffRec

I sent my recruiter my prescription history BEFORE I even had the MCT scheduled and he didn't rule me out right then and there, so I'll just do my best to follow his instructions, and post somewhere here detailing my results for the next asthmatic wanna-be aviator.

This is the hand I was dealt. Got to roll with it now. If I can commission at all, I'll consider it a win. At the risk of sounding like a defeatist, I'd jump through a million hoops and be a happy SWO if that's all I get cleared for medically.

What the path could be is your recruiter submits the documents to MEPS, MEPS says no, then the processor submits to N3M for a review, N3M says continued processing warranted, this forces MEPS to physical you, then MEPS physicals you and decides you need a consult and MCT from a MEPS approved facility, then when that is done the data goes back to N3M, N3M reviews and decides they want another consult, once that is done they review and give you a thumbs up but they will defer to NAMI for aviation programs, that part is where at OCS they say OK for SNA or pick another.

The above is the longest possible path that leads to a positive outcome, some steps may be skipped based on the docs recommendation.

ShootingStar

What the path could be is your recruiter submits the documents to MEPS, MEPS says no, then the processor submits to N3M for a review, N3M says continued processing warranted, this forces MEPS to physical you, then MEPS physicals you and decides you need a consult and MCT from a MEPS approved facility, then when that is done the data goes back to N3M, N3M reviews and decides they want another consult, once that is done they review and give you a thumbs up but they will defer to NAMI for aviation programs, that part is where at OCS they say OK for SNA or pick another.

The above is the longest possible path that leads to a positive outcome, some steps may be skipped based on the docs recommendation.

Thanks for the breakdown. Wish me luck.

ShootingStar

So I'm still in the process, haven't submitted documents to MEPS yet, but a buddy of mine who's waiting to get started at NIFE mentioned to me that a lot of people he knows had it a lot easier with waivers by getting themselves cleared with a Flight Doc before they went to MEPS.

When they say Flight Doc, do they just mean a regular AME? (I know FAA Medicals don't transfer over to NAMI ones, but I was cleared for a 1st Class by my first AME, so getting a new note from one will be trivial.)

I've got time on my hands waiting for my records on my original diagnosis, and I don't care what I have to do or how much it'll cost to get as many legs up on this as I can. I know it all depends on whose hands my records end up in, but could a letter from an AME that says something similar to what the Pulmo wrote help?

I'm honestly ready to track down every doctor in the state and get a letter from each and every one detailing that I'm healthy and good to fly.

exNavyOffRec

So I'm still in the process, haven't submitted documents to MEPS yet, but a buddy of mine who's waiting to get started at NIFE mentioned to me that a lot of people he knows had it a lot easier with waivers by getting themselves cleared with a Flight Doc before they went to MEPS.

When they say Flight Doc, do they just mean a regular AME? (I know FAA Medicals don't transfer over to NAMI ones, but I was cleared for a 1st Class by my first AME, so getting a new note from one will be trivial.)

I've got time on my hands waiting for my records on my original diagnosis, and I don't care what I have to do or how much it'll cost to get as many legs up on this as I can. I know it all depends on whose hands my records end up in, but could a letter from an AME that says something similar to what the Pulmo wrote help?

I'm honestly ready to track down every doctor in the state and get a letter from each and every one detailing that I'm healthy and good to fly.
I had a few and know of several who were private pilots with FAA medicals that NAMI ended up DQ'ing.

Unless the medical is cleared by a NAMI doc it doesn't matter.

Taft27

Alright everyone I need some help. I am currently trying to join the Navy as an SNFO, however I have also considered going down the SWO path. I have taken the ASTB and did really well on it (59 6/7/7), I have an extremely good college GPA (3.85), and I really don’t have any real medical history except for one thing. I went to a therapist a little over 2 years ago because my roommates in college had told me that even if I didn’t think I had anything wrong with me it can feel refreshing to talk to someone so I went for 2 sessions. After that I really didn’t feel the need to go anymore because I just didn’t think it was all that helpful so I stopped. Fast forward to now while I am getting all of my medical history records in order, I ask for the records from my therapist who sent them to my recruiter, and also sent me a copy. My therapist diagnosed me with “Generalized Anxiety Disorder” and “ADHD”. I completely disagree with both of these diagnoses, and I had absolutely no clue that I was even diagnosed with them. I went and talked to my former roommates who went to the same therapist who told me they were also diagnosed with these even thought they also disagree with their diagnoses as well. I am absolutely crushed right now because I have never been medicated nor prescribed medication for either of these Mental Health Disorders nor have I ever needed to be. I have always been a good student with a high GPA and good standardized test scores (Including the ASTB), and I just don't think someone with unmedicated Anxiety/ADHD would be able to achieve what I have. I haven’t spoken to my recruiter yet but I’m concerned that these will get me disqualified when I have never shown a need to be medicated for either of these mental health disorders. Any advice before I go and speak to him?