• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mechanical Q: Hydr Pressure

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Also, to anyone who has taken the ASTB: Are there really questions (more than 1 that is) about "the principles of gases and liquids (with respect to pressure, volume, and velocity)"? I hated those questions in chemistry/physics, and would like to avoid studying them until after taking the ASTB (while waiting for selection then OCS). I know the basic stuff when it comes to these principles (eg pressure and volume), but when it comes to more complex issues and equations I am pretty slow.

Considering that "the principles of gases and liquids" are exactly what flight depends upon, I think you should know them. You don't need to do complex calculations, but you need to know stuff like what happens to the pressure of the fluid on its surroundings when the velocity of the fluid increases.

Just look up Bernoulli's Principle.

BullGator

Considering that "the principles of gases and liquids" are exactly what flight depends upon, I think you should know them. You don't need to do complex calculations, but you need to know stuff like what happens to the pressure of the fluid on its surroundings when the velocity of the fluid increases.

Just look up Bernoulli's Principle.
Cool, thank you Spekkio. I definitely understand that much. The pressure exerted by the fluid decreases as the velocity of the fluid increases; i.e. There is lower pressure on the top of the airfoil where there is more chamber, thus creating lift. It's good to know that I don't need to review the exact equations...for the next two weeks. Appreciate the help guys.

I don't use fire fox but now (when I'm not sure on my spelling) I just copy/paste it to microsoft-word to use that spell check.

BullGator

Quick ASTB Aviation Questions:

1. (Runways)- If you are landing on a north-south runway and you are heading toward the side that says "18" (far-opposite side says "36"), are you landing in the north direction?
(Or is it in the south direction, ... if your airplane's compass would read 180 degrees?)

2. (Airport)- What are the lost communication light signals, from the control tower?
This questions comes from the Marine Gouge ANT study list.

Are they referring to the "airport traffic light gun signals" (eg. Flashing red and green is "use extreme caution", Steady green is "cleared to land)?
From Wikipedia: "In the case of a radio failure or aircraft not equipped with a radio, air traffic control may use a signal lamp to direct the aircraft. Planes can acknowledge the instruction by wiggling their wings or by flashing their landing or navigation lights during hours of darkness."

Please help with either, or both if you can. I would appreciate it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
1. (Runways)- If you are landing on a north-south runway and you are heading toward the side that says "18" (far-opposite side says "36"), are you landing in the north direction?
(Or is it in the south direction, ... if your airplane's compass would read 180 degrees?)

2. (Airport)- What are the lost communication light signals, from the control tower?
This questions comes from the Marine Gouge ANT study list.

Are they referring to the "airport traffic light gun signals" (eg. Flashing red and green is "use extreme caution", Steady green is "cleared to land)?
From Wikipedia: "In the case of a radio failure or aircraft not equipped with a radio, air traffic control may use a signal lamp to direct the aircraft. Planes can acknowledge the instruction by wiggling their wings or by flashing their landing or navigation lights during hours of darkness."

Please help with either, or both if you can. I would appreciate it.

1. No.

2. Yes.