• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mecep fy10

jamesboyjon

I'm new to this forum and have been thumbing through several posts on here to try and find out information on the MECEP. A lot of my questions have been answered already by your different posts, but I did have a few. This will be my second time applying (FY07 previous) and I am wondering which waivers I will need to request. I am currently 25 yrs old, had an initial enlistment wavier for drug use and got a DUI in 06. I am looking at this as I will need to request age/drug/alcohol waivers. Is this right? Also, I am wondering with these waviers what my chances really are. My stats are:

Sgt - 7 1/2 years (6072/ prior 3521)
Combat tour '05
NAM and MOVSM
Brown Belt MAI (0916)
CMT/CMC (Range coach (0933) and trainer(0931)/old PMI)
257 PFT / 302 Rifle
2 commendatory fitreps (RO ranked #1 on last)
solid recommendations
1150 SAT / 89 AFQT / 125 GT
3.7 GPA/ 32 hours

The real question... Is this enough to out weigh the negative waivers? Any info would definitely be helpful.

torpedo0126

I don't think the age waivers will be a problem. I know people much older than you (relative sense) that are in the program.

I can't speak for the drug waiver...although if it didn't prevent you from enlisting, and it occurred before joining...i'm just speculating there. hopefully, someone with more brains can weigh in.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
25 shouldn't be an age waiver of any sort. You will see Gunnies who are 30+ out on the program.

I also had a drug waiver and got accepted. I didn't have a DUI, but did have an NJP.

If you don't submit your package, your chances of being accepted are 0%. When I was at MECEP Prep, I remember talking to guys and it was really interesting how the cross section of it played out. They don't just pick the "best Marine on paper." I remember one guy having 3 NJP's. Some guys have great PFT scores, some are low. Some guys have crazy good academic-type stats, others, not so much.

I'm not sure what sort of voodoo magic the MECEP board uses to select Marines for it, but it must be working.

Also, not sure how much it impacts or doesn't, but I would try and address any shortcomings you have (real or otherwise, especially the DUI), in the hand-written statement. I don't know if it helps or not, but it can't hurt.

If you have any other questions, fire away.

Crowbar

None
FY09:
Total applications: 331
Total eligible: 299
Number selected: 150
Number of alternates: 0
% Selected: 50

FY08:
Total applications: 254
Total eligible: 246
Number selected: 160