• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Measuring Antrho's

Status
Not open for further replies.

pltReed

How do you do the measurements? I'm trying to figure this out at home - How do you measure the thumb-tip FR reach? From thumb to armpit? From thumb to behind arm? (Like you're sitting a chair, from chair to thumb?) And what position is the thumb in? Flat lieing down, or stadning up?

Don't laugh, please - My measurements change about 6 inches depending on which position I am in! :)

Thanks

chuck82

I just went to Pensacola this week for the NAMI flight physical and I'll tell you how they did it. They measured my height just as they would at any doctor's office. Then they sat me on the bench with a back on it (basically just a wall) and told me to sit with my butt as far against the back as possible. Then they have a device that measures butt to knee and knee to floor. Then to measure functional reach, they tell you to keep your shoulder against the back and stretch out your arm and give an "OK" signal. (Put your thumb and index fingers together to form a circle.) It was from the wall to where my thumb and finger touched that they called my "reach." If this suprises you, I didn't know that they would do it like this either. I wanted to read my measurements, but I couldn't because my eyes had been dialated. The closer I brought the paper to my face, the blurrier it got. Hope this helps.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
The most important measurement is your BTK (butt to knee length). Find yourself a chair, sit down and put your back flat against it. Measure the distance from the back of the chair to your knee and that is your BTK. That measurement has causes the most number of anthro Jet DQ’s.

While you are sitting in that chair you can also determine your sitting height. Measure from the seat to the top of your head. I would not worry too much about your reach distance (unless you happen to be extremely vertically challenged).

pltReed

Hey thanks!! Yeah, that is sort of a weird way to measure - well, maybe not, if your hand is circling the stick.

i'm 23 1/3 inches on Butt to Knee length.
35 Inches in sitting height
and somewhere between 29 inches and 30 inches for FR reach. I'm surprised at these, considering I am only 63inches tall!

There used to be a Butt-Leg length, right? Do they use that at all anymore? I totally flunk on that by about 4 inches.

How would I figure out which pipelines I would be qualified for? Is there a website? I remember soemthing vague about this on the boards, but I couldn't find a link or anything...

Thanks again!! You really helped alot! :)

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
I remember someone listing the measurements in a post a long time ago. I know there is a Navy website with the info, but I dont have the address.You could probably do a google search and find it.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
tada...

ANTHROS
All aircrew applicants must meet standards to be considered for ejection seat aircraft. (SH: 32-41"; FR: 28" min; BKL: 21.9-28"; BLL: 36-50") Waivers will be considered for SNFO applicants who are below standards for BKL ONLY. Otherwise, waivers will not be considered for officer applicants who are outside the standards for anthros. Enlisted applicant aircrew who are outside the standard for anthros can be considered for a waiver to non-ejection seat aircraft only (Navy) or found PQ for non-ejection seat aircraft (Marine).

ANTHROS
Required for applicants. No Waivers.
Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.
Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more
Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.
Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.
BKL is the most critical measurement. If member does not meet anthro standards on initial measurement he must be retested three times by the AVT and the flight surgeon. Please pay attention--these are frequently missed by
examiners!

-EDIT-
Sorry posted just after ben

pltReed

Damn - Alright, how do you measure the BLL? :) I'm 36" from the hip to floor, barefoot. Scientifically, where does the Butt begin and end?

What's this David chair thing? If I sit in it, will my feet be swingin' above the ground?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DAVID chair (I think that is what it is called - don't know for sure) is what you sit in to be measured. They do some sort of computer-magic and then give you your anthros. Someone who's been through training can elaborate more.

Status
Not open for further replies.