• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MCMAP at NAS Pensacola/Whiting/Corpus Christi

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Depends how long you're waiting. Its not uncommon to get your gray belt while stuck at MATSG-21. Personally, I would worry about belts. I didn't want to risk some idiot throwing me around before I got my wings any more than I had to, so most of my friends and I never moved past our gray belts and we don't really plan to until we get the shiny things.

EDIT: Tan belts, we never moved past out TAN belts. I rock that thing like twice a year.

Last edited:

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Try to get to your 0-4 board with less than 3 ribbons or medals, dual marksmen on rifle/pistol, and a tan belt. That briefs real well.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Try to get to your 0-4 board with less than 3 ribbons or medals, dual marksmen on rifle/pistol, and a tan belt. That briefs real well.

I'm personally trying to stay a butter bar as long as possible. I've got four years in this rank, its starting to grow on me.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I was a lowly Ensign in the reserves, even promoted to JG (distinguished, I know). Then I got this crazy idea that I wanted to fly for the Marines. Poof. Theres a Gunnery Sergeant yelling in my face.

All joking aside, I fully intend to accept my promotion to 1st Lt. However, I don't plan on doing 20, so if I make major, great. If I don't I'll continue with my shenanigans.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You can also talk about your reflective belt if you need more meat in your fitrep write-up.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Is it feasible/possible to belt up while in the 7599 pipeline?

It’s really hard to fit MCMAP into your daily floating schedule in the training command. Not impossible, but very hard. And as others have said, it only takes one bad fall for you to be med down for a long time. Wait until you get to the fleet, then you can take the gentleman’s course to green belt and stop.

As an aside, MCMAP is great for kids right out of high school who have never been in a real fight, or never thought about fighting someone who had a knife. But if you want to really be able to defend yourself, go take real classes like Krav, Judo or BJJ. This is coming from a MCMAP black belt, DO NOT USE MCMAP IN A REAL FIGHT!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I just started with BJJ and I love it. It’s tough but a lot of fun and I’ve been learning a lot.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
BJJ is awesome if you really want to learn how to fight, I did it all through flight school and now in the fleet. There are good schools/gyms around almost all of the bases that you'll be going to, send me a PM if you want a recommendation.

I do not see a point in doing MCMAP, I am hoping to make it to the Major board with my grey belt.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was a lowly Ensign in the reserves, even promoted to JG (distinguished, I know). Then I got this crazy idea that I wanted to fly for the Marines. Poof. Theres a Gunnery Sergeant yelling in my face.

All joking aside, I fully intend to accept my promotion to 1st Lt. However, I don't plan on doing 20, so if I make major, great. If I don't I'll continue with my shenanigans.
Say @Duc'-guy25, when you were at MMA did you take Sea Power with Prof. Smith or one of the adjuncts? I taught Sea Power (or “sleep Power” as you guys called it) about the time you were there.

PMPT

It’s really hard to fit MCMAP into your daily floating schedule in the training command. Not impossible, but very hard. And as others have said, it only takes one bad fall for you to be med down for a long time. Wait until you get to the fleet, then you can take the gentleman’s course to green belt and stop.

As an aside, MCMAP is great for kids right out of high school who have never been in a real fight, or never thought about fighting someone who had a knife. But if you want to really be able to defend yourself, go take real classes like Krav, Judo or BJJ. This is coming from a MCMAP black belt, DO NOT USE MCMAP IN A REAL FIGHT!

Oh, I have no doubt about that haha. I don't know that the forward knife hand would work all that well ... I'm just trying to be 'well-rounded' and 'demonstrate enthusiasm'. It's not such a bad way to spend some time on the mats with some friends anyways.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Just shine your butter bars, keep your hair looking like a tampoon, and enthusiastically let loose with a loud yut yut, oorah devil dog whenever possible and you’ll do fine.

Oh yeah....silkies.....wear your silkies whenever possible. Senior Marines love seeing dudes running around in silkies with their balls hanging out.