• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Maybe I just need a little reassurance.

murmidov

I've been reading threads on Air Warriors off and on for the last few months, and I'm in the middle of the applications for the BDCP as we speak; I've already taken the ASTB (once).

I'm a 21 year old college student, a Junior, and my major is Linguistics.

My GPA from community college was about a 3.6, and my GPA at the University (for the 1 semester that I've completed so far) is 4.0.

I'm sure I'd have good personal and work references, and I lead a scout group (not Boy scouts but similar to it), that I myself went through and in it achieved the equivalent to the Eagle Scout Award.

My scores on the ASTB were 4, 5, & 5, and my OAR was 50, which I told was not competitive for Intel (my recruiter keeps trying to push me towards supply).

I was planning on applying for Intel, but I'd be happy with being perhaps a line officer.

The reason why I decided on Intel is that perhaps I could eventually be a Foreign Area Officer, since officers don't generally deal with languages, and languages/cultures were my initial interest.

Anyway, I'm a little discouraged. Any thoughts or positive feedback would be appreciated greatly.

FastMover

NFO
None
Study hard for the ASTB and take it again. Now that you've seen the test and know a little more about what to expect it should make studying for the second attempt a little easier. Most people's grades go up on their second attempt.

Keep those grades up and work on your ASTB and see what happens.

phrogpilot73

I don't think FAO is limited to Intel. At least not in the Marines. I know a 53 Pilot that has done two tours as an FAO.

For what it's worth - you might be more interested in IW than Intel. PSW can fill you in on why.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The reason why I decided on Intel is that perhaps I could eventually be a Foreign Area Officer, since officers don't generally deal with languages, and languages/cultures were my initial interest.

Anyway, I'm a little discouraged. Any thoughts or positive feedback would be appreciated greatly.

Your lucky day! http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Expeditionary_Warfare/ForeignArea/
Look on left side of page under Pers 46 Expeditionary Warfare. All the info you need is there.
I had a brief yesterday on FAO!
Overseas suitability screening completed
SF-86 completed indicating eligibility for TS/SCI clearance
Minimum of 8 years of commissioned service
Minimum standard DLAB score of 95
Less than 1 year of obligated service to current community at the time of the board
Look at that website and give them a call. The comissioned service req is going to change and they are keen on getting people with culture and language abilities.....that they do not have to immerse and train. You get a foreign language bonus too!

murmidov

I had a brief yesterday on FAO! ...
Look at that website and give them a call. The comissioned service req is going to change and they are keen on getting people with culture and language abilities.....that they do not have to immerse and train. You get a foreign language bonus too!

That sounds awesome, but I thought you had to transfer into FAO after so many years of service, which that website doesn't outright say, but it sort of implies it.

Also, I didn't see where a telephone number was for me to call, if you meant to imply there was one on that website. Could you point it out to me?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I applied for FAO, I believe the requirement was 8 years of commissioned service. I think they either have, or are about to reduce it so SWOs coming off their first tours can apply. I'm too lazy to read the Pers website right now.

FWIW, I'm at NPS, with a bunch of other 1720s, and they come from all communities, Aviation, SWO, IW, Intel, Metoc...