• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

May nsi

tribeach1184

CU Buffalo
This thread is for anyone going to NSI next week to post questions. I just finished up NSI in April and will be happy to answer questions.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Actually,

I am headed up on the 25th so this is really cool of you to post this. Just got a few questions and feel free to add any other input you can provide.

-Checking in, I am flying up there so any idea how much taxi fare is to OTC?

-What is the environment like? I am a Navy vet of 6 years but I am going up there as a NROTC 2 year student. Understandably there will be people who have not been in the military and exposed to that environment; So I was just curious as to if it is more like a Bootcamp or A-school atmosphere.

-What is the schedule like.. both daily and overall. Obviously as I am sure most of you know the OTC website is kinda screwy and there isn't too much information on NSI aside from a few memos.

-Liberty,Cellphones,Communication/Internet. I heard in some other posts that our cell phones are taken away for the first few weeks. Is this true?
And expanding on this what about internet access? How readily avail is it? (I still need to pay rent at the end of June) And finally whats the deal with liberty both weekday and weekends.

Thanks for any help with these questions bud, and congrats on completing it.

EDIT: Added a question

-I took a looksie at the list of things I need to bring...is the one on the OTC site about still accurate and do you have any suggestions of anything else that I might want to bring with? One of my main concerns was that of ribbons. I still have my warfare pins from when I was active duty, but obviously after 3 years my ribbons are kinda nasty looking. Should I buy some before I head up there or will I get a chance to get them from the NEX?

tribeach1184

CU Buffalo
Pistol,
First off I am not really sure how much a taxi would be from the airport. I believe it is around $70. I would ask around to other guys going to NSI to see if maybe they could hook you up with a ride. If not make sure you get a reciept for the ride and claim it later on your travel claim.
Everyone in your NSI class will be prior service which is a plus; however, at first they will treat it like a boot camp environment until everyone is "squared away" and is on the same page. Just like boot camp your first week will be an indoctrination type setting (medical, dental, service records, gear issue etc...) After the first week though time will fly. You will be going to class from 0800-1700 roughly every day with pt mixed in.
The liberty policy for us was different than all other classes. We did not have liberty the first week and on-base liberty the next two weeks. After that we had off-base liberty with cerfew for week four, and no restrictions the last two weeks. You will always have to have a "liberty buddy" and will have to phone in muster if there is no cerfew. And you will not get things if you don't ask. So make sure you guys ask about weekday liberty after class towards the end and keep asking about having coffee in the Galley.
Cell phones were never taken away but were not to be seen. You are not supposed to use them, but whether you do or not is up to you. After the second week you will be able to use the liberty center on weekends for internet and coffee (which you will not have for a while, so for coffee addicts make sure you curtail your use before NSI). After your internet brief you will be issued a student account and able to check emails and pay bills online, but it is similar to NMCI computers with many websites blocked. If you have a pressing issue that needs to be handled by phone or email the chiefs are good about letting you take care of it ASAP. You are allowed computers in your rooms and when I was there we were able to pick up a wireless signal occasionally which was nice.
As far as the OTCN website. I would make sure that you get everything on the list. You only need two sets of new PT gear. Make sure you have your sweats even though it'll probably be warm enough to not need them. I would make sure you have all your ribbons and warfare devices before you report. You'll have time to get them it is just a pain getting them with 40 other people. Also, you will need medals for the grad ceremony so it would be easier to get them before you arrive as well. A few items that may carry over as far as enlisted uniforms would be your black dress shoes, rain coat and tie. You can leave all enlisted uniforms behind you will not need them at NSI. One extra item that you may want would be a swiffer sweeper, it really comes in handy when everyone else is fighting over the two brooms available. If I think of anything else I will put it here. Good luck and you will do just fine. Newport is a great little town especially in the summer when all the tourists come in. Make sure you get up to Boston as well and catch a game or just walk around Quincy Market. Stay out of Mattapan!!! ( Southern Greater Boston Area).
If you remember please give any University of Colorado students my information to contact me for the ROTC unit.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
+1 Thanks for the gouge bud, I very much appreciate it! In regards to my old enlisted uniform I have been out of active duty for 3 years so do not have too much left. So knowing I can pack light makes life easy.