• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Masters degree now or later? - AD O1 Apool

Mouselovr

Contributor
Currently in Apool awaiting NIFE. I have a long wait, so I've started getting my masters. Paying out of pocket without problems and enjoying it. If I stay on course and the wait times stay the same, I could finish before starting primary.

However, I've been reading of opportunities in the military to send me to get my masters on a shore tour. Ie full time student + full time AD pay + free masters. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, so I'm assuming I'm missing something, ha.

Trying to figure out if continuing to complete my masters now but out of pocket is worth it or is waiting to potentially be sent to a post grad opportunity a better option.

Could someone give some advice/ info?

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
If you're already in it and it doesn't detract from you ability to study for flight school or be social, I'd say keep on chugging. I wouldn't do it because you think it'll be career enhancing. Having a postgrad degree that you paid for doesn't preclude you from Navy-sponsored programs. Lot of variables regarding whether or not you'll get an opportunity to get your post-grad degree on the Navy's dime, too (e.g. timing, needs of the Navy, individual performance etc.).

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Even if you complete this master’s degree, at some point you may want or need JPME I (which isn’t itself a master’s degree, but many people elect to do a bit more and make it a standalone master’s if the program allows it).

Mouselovr

Contributor
If you're already in it and it doesn't detract from you ability to study for flight school or be social, I'd say keep on chugging. I wouldn't do it because you think it'll be career enhancing. Having a postgrad degree that you paid for doesn't preclude you from Navy-sponsored programs. Lot of variables regarding whether or not you'll get an opportunity to get your post-grad degree on the Navy's dime, too (e.g. timing, needs of the Navy, individual performance etc.).
Thanks for the info. No, I do not find the studies to be overwhelming or distracting.
Just wanted to verify I wasn't throwing away money especially if the opportunities later down the line were objectively superior.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's also something to be said for having a skillset outside the military, but that largely depends on what your masters is in. I see you were a bio major in undergrad. If that's your jam, and you're doing a science-related MS, it can only give you options on the outside instead of or in addition to the airline thing. I've met and heard of plenty of airline folks who had a second part-time job once they got senior enough to be predictably scheduled. Or you might just say "meh" after all the cool Navy stuff, and not want to do airnavs from Point A to Point B. Or (God forbid) you might go med down hard from some freak thing and need that second career. The older you get, the more shit breaks. To each their own.

Point is, we all leave the military some day, and after that there's a whole wide world out there where you can be whatever the hell you want to be if you put in the time and effort. Just don't waste your money on something stupid like a Masters in Organizational Leadership or some bullshit. The civ world is a lot more like the enlisted world in that you're expected to have a trade, be that "plumber," "mechanic," "software developer," "attorney," "doctor," "real estate agent," or whatever else. I dabble in vet recruiting and transition assistance in my civilian capacity, because I had a rocky transition and want to pay back. Bottom line, if you say "I'm up for anything; I just want to work with a good team and be a leader," that's code for "I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing and want someone else to figure my life out for me. Don't hire me." And those MAs in "organizational leadership" or similar are the same. No one gives a damn about your War College masters unless you're either staying in the defense sector or wanting to get a Ph. D. and then teach at one of the war colleges.

Bill427

Temporary Corpus Christi resident
First off, good on you for making that wait time more productive. I got my masters while I was on shore duty as an e6, and used TA to pay for 95% of it. I was able to balance work/school/life and I’m glad I did it, because it prob helped me get my OCS slot. As long as it’s a practical degree that can be used outside the navy it’s prob a good idea.

Edit: deleted the rest because apparently TA is now for second tour sailors.

Last edited:

Mos

None
When I left for OCS, I already had a good chunk of a masters done, so it was a no-brainer to finish it a few years later during my shore tour. I paid for it myself and don't regret it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Something else to consider for the private sector aspect: you’ll get more value out of a master’s as you have more life/work experience leading up to it.

The learning level of a 25 yr old MS Accounting degree candidate is not the same as a 35 yr old candidate who has 10 yrs of financial mgmt work.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Press on. Good on you for taking on the challenge. Aviation timing may preclude you from attending graduate education. Most folks that excelled in aviation did their graduate education on their own. Keep at it.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Echoing what most people already said: keep pressing.

I'm at the Naval War College currently, and I've met multiple people who already have another Master's degree. The Navy will absolutely still send you to Newport for a year of good-deal living even if you've already completed another degree.

number9

Contributor
Something else to consider for the private sector aspect: you’ll get more value out of a master’s as you have more life/work experience leading up to it.

The learning level of a 25 yr old MS Accounting degree candidate is not the same as a 35 yr old candidate who has 10 yrs of financial mgmt work.
The other thing to add is that some degrees only have real professional value if they come from certain schools. MBAs, if you're paying for them yourself, are not really worth the price unless you're at a top-50 school (or even a top-25).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Like what the others have said, get a degree that's going to make you marketable in the civilian sector.

If you're thinking MBA, unless you want to be a "lifer" and do 20+ years... wait. Online / PT MBA programs are valuable, but an in-person full-time MBA (ideally at a T20 or M7) provides the networking + internship experience that will help bridge you to a great civilian job. The GI-Bill should be able to fund most, if not all (via yellow ribbon).