• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marrying a foreign national

roetzheime

I'm in A-Pool waiting for API to start. My fiance and I are planning on getting married in the next 2 months. My fiance is stuck in San Diego with his expiring work visa, while I'm in Pensacola. We'd like to get married so we can be together and he can finally find a job as a citizen without all the restrictions that go along with work visas. I don't even know where to begin looking into this. Do I need to talk to my command? I'm also concerned it may delay my security clearance I'm waiting on. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice on where to begin my search?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in A-Pool waiting for API to start. My fiance and I are planning on getting married in the next 2 months. My fiance is stuck in San Diego with his expiring work visa, while I'm in Pensacola. We'd like to get married so we can be together and he can finally find a job as a citizen without all the restrictions that go along with work visas. I don't even know where to begin looking into this. Do I need to talk to my command? I'm also concerned it may delay my security clearance I'm waiting on. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice on where to begin my search?

First thing you need to do is to visit base legal and get smart on all the federal requirements. There are very specific, significant and long-lasting obligations you will incur when marrying a foreign national for the purposes of naturalization. Did you know that if things don't work out, you will be required to support him financially for 10 years? Bottom line, you need to fully arm yourself with all the information. Marrying a foreign national will affect your clearance, but not in a big way - lots of people do it. The amount of hassle will also depend on his country of origin. Obviously a Cuban or Iranian national will be more problematic than someone from Canada or the UK. Be smart and don't attempt this without proper legal counsel.

Brett

st1977

roetzheime, I'm from France and married my husband when he was in API. The process was fairly painless (I don't think the US are overly worried about their citizens marrying NATO countries citizens). His top-security clearance got slightly delayed, but it hasn't affected his training or anything. We go to France once a year to visit my family, and it's never been a problem with his command either. The paperwork to start the Green Card process is not bad - we actually filled it out ourselves.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
My neighbors are in a similar situation, but they complain a lot about the hoops he has to jump through to get naturalized. Not to mention his remaining military obligation....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First thing you need to do is to visit base legal and get smart on all the federal requirements. There are very specific, significant and long-lasting obligations you will incur when marrying a foreign national for the purposes of naturalization. Did you know that if things don't work out, you will be required to support him financially for 10 years? Bottom line, you need to fully arm yourself with all the information. Marrying a foreign national will affect your clearance, but not in a big way - lots of people do it. The amount of hassle will also depend on his country of origin. Obviously a Cuban or Iranian national will be more problematic than someone from Canada or the UK. Be smart and don't attempt this without proper legal counsel.

Brett

I got married to a foreign national last year, a Canadian. I went about things a little differently than you, I put in for a fiancee visa while she was still living in Canada and we waited to get that approved before we got married. I had the luxury of time though.

Like Brett said, go to base legal and find out what the Navy wants you to do before you marry a foreigner. Another good place to go to is the base SSO, the guys who handle security clearances. They should be in the base phone book and they should know what you need to do in terms of security paperwork. My wife had to fill out an SF-86, the same form you fill out for a TS clearance, partly because I have one. It is veryimportant you do this as soon as you can, you have to get approval from the Navy before you can marry your fiancee.

The Navy part should not be all that difficult with a French national, unless there is something to raise a red flag like a criminal or foreign intelligence background.

A big pain is going through the visa approval process. It is easily the worst government red tape I have ever had to deal with, along with close to $1000for all the fees associated with processing the forms. My wife has known several people who have spent around $5000 for an immigration lawyer to assist them in the process, money well spent for most of them. I was able to wade trough the forms over 2 months and get everything right the first time around. Even though my wife learned the Queen's English and has a BA in Communications, she had a lot of difficulty getting through many of the forms. A lot of them were like a bad joke "If you are applying for a fiancee visa and have no dependents, go to Section 16, sub-section e, paragraph 3, part 7" and other things like that. It was a real pain and only because I am used to government forms did we get stuff right. I have no idea how non-english speaking people do it. We still have a lot to do in order to get her citizenship.

Oh yeah, I have never heard of the 10 year support rule and don't remember seeing it in the forms I did.

phrogpilot73

You're in luck - I'm in a liberty port right now, sitting next to a CWO2 who is married his wife when he was on MSG duty in India. I'm putting him on to finish out the answers to your questions...

I don't know anything about work visas, but once you get married, your spouse will have to apply for residence. I can't tell you how long that will take, I was at an embassy, and the process was expedited. The process following that was supposed to take a total of 3 years, but BCIS or whatever they call themselves these days is so backed up, and lost in their own process it actually ended up takeing us about 5 years and some change. My wife is not a citizen still, but she now has permanent resident status. A lot of information can be found at the BCIS web site, but do not call their 800 help line, you will get a large variance of answers from people who are unqualified to do more than transfer a call. If you need to talk to someone, go to your states BCIS office and speak directly to an officer.

(I just asked what BCIS is, search google for Immigration and Naturalization, you should get their website)

st1977

A side note on this - USCIS is backed up but once you file your forms and send the fees for each form (about $1,000 total sounds about right) your fiance will receive a form that serves as a receipt. Once he has that form, he can start moving with you and applying for jobs. The initial Green card he will receive (after you both go for the interview at a USCIS office) is for "conditional status". It is good for 2 years (from the date you originally submit the request). After 2 years, he can apply for permanent status. He may or may not want to become a citizen. Personally, I am not 100% sure that I will ever apply for US citizenship (I probably wouldn't unless I can keep my French citizenship and get dual citizenship). Residency is all you need to stay in the States. I did hear that the process to get citizenship is lengthy and can be expensive. We did not use a lawyer to complete the forms. They are a little complicated because of the way they are written but with a few phone calls to the USCIS office to clarify some items we were able to complete them ourselves. Good luck!

BigRed389

None
A side note on this - USCIS is backed up but once you file your forms and send the fees for each form (about $1,000 total sounds about right) your fiance will receive a form that serves as a receipt. Once he has that form, he can start moving with you and applying for jobs. The initial Green card he will receive (after you both go for the interview at a USCIS office) is for "conditional status". It is good for 2 years (from the date you originally submit the request). After 2 years, he can apply for permanent status. He may or may not want to become a citizen. Personally, I am not 100% sure that I will ever apply for US citizenship (I probably wouldn't unless I can keep my French citizenship and get dual citizenship). Residency is all you need to stay in the States. I did hear that the process to get citizenship is lengthy and can be expensive. We did not use a lawyer to complete the forms. They are a little complicated because of the way they are written but with a few phone calls to the USCIS office to clarify some items we were able to complete them ourselves. Good luck!

Usually, any problem with that will lie with the "other" country you want to be a citizen of.