• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Married during SWO training

ddeg3c

I have just been accepted as a SWO. I am also planning on getting married before I start OCS. What will she be left to do while I'm at training? Will she be allowed to live on base or anything? What benefits do we have?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're married, then yes she's a dependent and can live on base, get medical and dental benefits and all the benefits that are due a dependent of a servicemember.

MOD NOTE: PLEASE FAST FORWARD TO SWO BUBBA'S POST, WHICH IS FROM SOMEONE IN AUTHORITY and IN POSITION TO ANSWER ACCURATELY. AS TO THIS POST, NOTE POSTER"S WARNING BELOW:

90% of the above post is sarcastic, completely fabricated, or simply posted to troll for responses.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Make sure you bring all the required paperwork with you (reference the OCS website) such as yer marriage license to make sure youse guys get the appropriate bennies (medical, dental, BAH, etc).

CAMike

None
Contributor
Where's that former American Idol Contestant "William Hung" when you need him?

Ricky Martin's Song:

ASR

She'll eventually be able to live with you on base, if base housing is available, but everything up until reporting to your ship will likely be unaccompanied orders. If she wants to come Newport you'll have to foot the bill yourself and she will likely have to stay out in town at your expense. The government won't pay to move you and her to Newport, then pay to move you both to wherever four months later.

SWO Bubba

None
Get married before the effective date of your orders and go down the court house if you have to. Better to get legally married ASAP in order to get your fiance into the Navy fold.

The accounting code in your orders will dictate whether you can take your wife with you. The thumb rule is that training longer than 6 months can be accompanied (full PCS move) and training under 6 months is not.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get married before the effective date of your orders and go down the court house if you have to. Better to get legally married ASAP in order to get your fiance into the Navy fold.

The accounting code in your orders will dictate whether you can take your wife with you. The thumb rule is that training longer than 6 months can be accompanied (full PCS move) and training under 6 months is not.

Thanks for clearing that up +1

As SWO Bubba attests, training under 6 months is hardly worth the Navy supporting moving a household twice. It's that way for good reason.

IMHO, trying to adjust to Navy life and make it through OCS should be your focus. Best to leave her where she is or with relatives in comfortable/familiar surroundings. You'll be in no position to support her and it would likely add undue stress on you both and your relationship.