• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines vs. Air Force Dilemma

Neeeewbs

I'm a recent AF non select which I'm In process of reapplying for 12OT03, however I've had the opportunity to talk with retired and current military pilots and was also approached by a Marine officer recruiter who said he had a pilot slot open. Granted, if accepted to Marine officer school and succeed along with completion of their basic school, I'm guaranteed a spot in flight school which is cool. After talking with some of the current and retired pilots they told me it was much easier to obtain a flight spot in the Marines than get accepted to AF OTS. The trade off is the toughest officer school in existence, and 6 extra months of infantry training, not to mention less fixed wing aircraft to choose from and the possibility of getting helos. But you are guaranteed a flight spot and are competing with less aviation "studs" (i.e. Guys from the academy) in obtaining the desired aircraft during flight school. I'm just at a crossroads because I've been completing the Marine packet these past couple of months which I would find out of acceptance Feb. However I've always wanted to go into the AF, always thought it would be a better fit, plus more fixed wing aircraft. BUT the most important thing here is the opportunity to fly. Just weighing the pros and cons of either going into the branch I've set out to go into with a risk of more non-acceptance OR go into to the branch where I have a better shot at becoming an aviator, but obviously being an aviator in an infantryman's world.

I'm also familiar with the fact that there me a wait after OCS to go to Basic because of the backlog in flight school, which I'm ok with. Just looking for advice on if I should keep pursuing the AF or roll with the Marines? Any advice appreciated...thanks

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Smart ass answer: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Smarter answer: You should probably read more around here about USMC. Going USMC is no joke. They'll test you time and time again. However, their Air Contracts guarantee a chance at flight school if you make it through OCS and TBS. Air Force OTS offers no guarantee. If you want to fly military, by all means explore every avenue and take every and any opportunity you can. There aren't many available these days.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
There is less fixed wing in Marine aviation - but I think there is less competition for it as well. I am pretty sure every zoomie I talked to in flight school wanted to fly F-15's. On the other hand, I know more Marines in jet school that wanted helos than Marines in helo school that wanted jets.

Instead of worrying about platform selection, which you don't have much control over, why don't you pick based on which service fits you better based on the mission and group identity. Sounds (from your brief post) like the Air Force is the one you want more.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
(Caveat: I'm obviously not a Marine, so take this for what it's worth)

That being said, if you go the USMC route, you'll be a Marine officer first, and a pilot second. If the idea of being a Marine/the infantry oriented mindset doesn't appeal to you, then go Air Force. Think of it this way: Let's say you get hurt during OCS/OTS, and you can't fly, but the Air Force/Marines offer you a different job. Which service would you be happier in if you weren't a pilot?

I second what Huey said about the platform choice. I wouldn't begin to worry about that yet.

Neeeewbs

I really appreciate all the info, great incite. When it comes to the all important question of which branch may suit me better, (the biggest issue I'm having here), im completely split between the two. Becoming a Marine is one of the most respectable, if not the most respectable military positions in the military and I like that. I've always been one to be tested mentally and physically (played collegiate soccer and 3 years in the minors)...I love the camaraderie, team aspect and challenges everyday that would be given to me on a daily basis. ON THE OTHER HAND, flying is number one in the Air Force and is also the profession I'm looking to pursue. Obviously more laid back and the branch with the most money and more fixed wing aircraft...I've gotten mixed opinions from current and former military pilots from both services. They go into the same topic of which branch suits me better but other guys say "go what gets you to fly, because if you don't, someone else will; spots are tough to come by." and if I did get hurt,I'd definitely say Marines, I'd be bored hell doing some other job in the AF. Did anybody here have any dilemmas choosing between services or was it an innate sense of that's exactly where you need to be? And again, all the info is really helping, I appreciate everybody's time posting.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The percentage of officers who are pilots in the USMC is higher than that in the USAF, for starters.

I'd wager to say that the percentage of USMC aircraft that are TACAIR is greater, as well.

Not to mention no one's ever graduated flight school in the Marines and gone straight to UAVs/UASs.

That said, you have to want to be a Marine.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Look at the people. Yeah you may fly, fight, pt, whatever... for a good chunk of time. You may love flying or doing whichever job you get. But 90% of the time (scientifically accurate stat there) , you are just hanging out with your peers in that community and service, whether you're working or not.

Which kind of people do you want to be around for most of your life for the next 8-20 years?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The percentage of officers who are pilots in the USMC is higher than that in the USAF, for starters.

I'd wager to say that the percentage of USMC aircraft that are TACAIR is greater, as well.

Not to mention no one's ever graduated flight school in the Marines and gone straight to UAVs/UASs.

That said, you have to want to be a Marine.

I was going to add something- but Phrog has hit the head on the nail.

My little brother, an AF flight student at Laughlin, has been told that there WILL be 4 guys in his class that will be going straight to UAVs after they wing next month.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Just to add kudos to Phrog's other advice: don't even think of going to Marine OCS & TBS unless you really, really, really want to be a Marine officer. I just went to Navy OCS (back in the 60's), but had many friends who went Marine. I can't imagine they've PC'ed it up much since, and it is one of life's big gut-checks.

81montedriver

pilot
I definately agree with everyone that right now is the wrong time to be thinking about platform selection. However, what you will learn if you indeed get that far, is that everyone loves their platform.

Those who got their first choice obviously love their platform, but even those who got choices further down their list, learn to love what they get.

I'm a Herc guy, I love my platform and I can't imagine flying anything else. It also helps that we take a lot of badass road trips and stay in hotels vice other shitty accomodations.

You also seem to think alot about what other people think and how others view a certain service. Pick one based on your fit, not how others view it. If you are cool with one of your PT tests being a waist measurement, and your formal uniforms looking like a bus driver? Join the AF.

KBayDog

The trade off is the toughest officer school in existence, and 6 extra months of infantry training, not to mention less fixed wing aircraft to choose from and the possibility of getting helos.

Sounds to me like you just want to fly (and only fly fixed-wing, apparently). If that's the case, I suggest you take some private lessons, work your way into the regionals, and go from there. You'll save yourself (and others) a lot of heartache.

The fact of the matter is that no matter what service you're in (as a pilot), you're going to work your ass off - and the vast majority of that work is not going to be as a pilot. This is a universal truth among all of the services. In fact, the closest thing to being a "full-time" military pilot might experience is as an Army Warrant Officer pilot...and those guys mostly fly lowly helicopters (oh, the horror!). Also, as a few on this site will tell you, even the "full-time" WO pilots have more than their share of desk work, too.

The military is not a flying club. If the flight thing doesn't work out, are you ready, willing, and able to serve in any/all capacities as an officer in our military? If not, do not accept a commission.

longshot07

I'm in the middle of Primary right now. I waited 2 months after OCS then 10 months from TBS to API then another month from API to Primary. I didn't mind the job before API and I still felt pretty fortunate because I could call myself a Marine officer even if I was then at a super boring (probably pretty unimportant too) job which was purely administrative. Flying is awesome but it's just icing on the cake and there will be sucky stuff you will experience (like sleeping in shitty weather to name an easy one) as a Marine officer that I would argue you would not experience in the AF. TBS is fun though because you shoot guns, and grenade launchers and stuff... yut
Good luck on whatever you decide.