• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines or Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonG

Hey everybody. I was recently with an officer recruiter for the Marines and they got me interested. Im initially interested in AF/Navy but Marines have something about them that I like, maybe its the toughness of there whole program or the fact that I have infantry skills before ever -taking off-....Either way can both you Navy and Marine guys distinguish the two in any way you can? Thanks..

Jason

2fast12

As a former Marine infantryman for four years I can give you some scoop on the Marines. The thing you have to remember is that it doesn't matter what occupation you have, whether it be a supply guru or a cook, first and foremost you are a basic rifleman. Every year as a Marine you have to qualify with the M16, even the aviators. You must realize that everything in the Marines is there to support the infantrymen during the war just like every occupation in the Air Force is either directly or indirectly in support of getting planes in the air. I hope this helps you somewhat. Hopefully someone else can fill you in on the Navy side.

James

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
As far as the flight training goes, Navy and Marines receive the same training in most cases. The biggest difference, as you pointed out, would be in the ground training. Every Marine is indeed a rifleman, and every Marine officer is a basicly trained rifle platoon commander. TBS (the basic school) is a six month long indoctoration into this philosophy. ALL Marines attend TBS upon completion of OCS no matter what MOS they desire (yes, even flight contracts). It is a very challenging curriculum, but the rewards of this diverse training are self evident. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Semper Fidelis

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Take a critical look at the Marine OSO. then look at the Navy and Air Force Officer recruiters. There should be no question after that analysis. Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Dave Shutter

OUCH!!!

I was expecting a post like that from you Frumby, where ya been?

Actually I did the same thing, numerous times when I was mulling over Navy or USMC. As much I'd love to wear the Marine uniform and do a shore duty tour in BDU's, I know the Marines would never take me.

BTW, saw Pearl Harbor, I was looking for you on that bridge shot in Corpus, but of course, I don't know what you look like. Did you see the film and if you made it in or not?

D

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave,
Spent the last few weeks finishing and moving into my new 3300 sqft home with my detached 3 car 1100 sqft garage (I'm trying to brag so I don't have to think about my mortgage payment). Of course the very next evening Houston got hit with a biblical proportion flood. I wasn't here but wife was fine. No damage.
Havent seen the film yet but I'm the handsome yet stern looking individual.
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Status
Not open for further replies.