• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marines -- Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner

I was wondering what the differences are in the route to becoming an Officer in the Marines Vs. Navy? Also what would be the differences in flight training? And finaly, what would be the difference in flying Hornets in the Marines Vs. the Navy?

farkle84

no differences in flight training. to be a Marine Officer you have to go through The Basic School, 6 months of training after OCS. hornets in the marines are hornets. the navy has the super hornet. this is pretty basic stuff. if you want more info i am sure some of the real pilots on this site will fill you in.

Burner

What I mean is, is there any difference in the mission types? Do they do as many carrier tours?

Thanks

Adrenaline Rush

well one initial difference (when you go to the navy) is you have to go to a recruiter who is dressed like he's stuck in the 70's and then you have to listen to him lie to you!! hehe
bouncy_125.gif
from what ive heard the marines dont have too many carrier based squadrons

I'd Rather Be A Lion For One Day, Than Be A Sheep For A Thousand Years

It Is Our Duty To Protect The Best Nation In The World

BeanFighter

pilot
Burner,
Marine air supports the Marines on the ground. Helo's haul them around and provide cover fire, Herks drop them and give them gas, the jets provide CAS, A/A cover, etc. Marine air is part of the whole Marine warfighting package. So yes, some of the stuff Marine Hornets do is geared towards this support. As for Hornets, you will deploy on the carrier as much as your squid brothers if you are in a Hornet "C" boat squadron. Otherwise the land based Cs and the Ds will deploy via WESTPAC, ect. It's about a 50/50 chance in Marine Hornets to go on a float.
Bean

Burner

Thanks thats the answer I was looking for. Do the Marine hornets do land based deployments during peacetime?

Thanks again

Rainman

pilot
They do land based deployments in wartime as well. The A+ and D models are land based. C squadrons rotate in and out of Carrier Air Wings as do Navy Hornet squadrons.

HEY! Did you hear that Marine Colonel is in charge of CAW9. . First Mean Green CAG. . . G2G

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, saw his picture on usmc.mil with an unauthorized nomex flt jacket and service B combo. You'd think a colonel might try to obey uniform regs.

Phrogs phorever

Rainman

pilot
Yeah, that's what I've always been told in Navy training commands; but last I looked on the uniform reg site they only discussed one "flight jacket" and didn't differentiate between the nomex and leather. I tried to go there again and verify my memory but the link seems to be down from www.usmc.mil.

Navy regs seem very clear that nomex is for flightsuit only. . . .

Burner

Thanks for the answers. I Realy Appreciate it.

Do the Cs do only carrier ops? Do any of the pilots ever do stints with other squads?

Also I read that after Hornet training the Navy and Marine taining splits and the Marines recieve further instruction on the F/A-18D, before going to a squad. True or False

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.