• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine PFT vs. air force

Status
Not open for further replies.

mab2030

I am only interested in applying for an air contract through the marines; however, in a career discussion today with an interested person, they asked the typical "why not the air force" question. Anyway, it got me thinking... Does the Air Force have something similar to the PFT apart of their application? And, what does this include, how is it scored? Any ideas
Thanks

-Alan

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Yeah, they have something similar to the Navy PRT, which is not as demanding as the Marine PFT. The standards in the Marines are higher than in the AF or Navy. I have heard that the Air Force physical standards are an absolute joke, but thats just what I have heard through the vine...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The Air Force PRT

Consists of:

Aerobic (1.5mile or bike): 50 points
Body Composition: 30 points
Pushups: 10 points
Crunches: 10 points

To max it you must:
Run 1.5 miles in 9:36 or less
Do the Bike w/ a VO2 greater than or equal to 54
Have less than a 32.5 inch waist
Do 62 pushups or more in one minute
Do 55 crunches or more in one minute

If you score above a 90 you are "excellent" and don't have to take it again for 2 years

75 or greater is "good" and you are tested again in one year

70-74.9 is marginal, you have to take a class and get tested again in 6 months.

Less than 70 is poor, you have to attend classes.

Edit: BTW, despite what you may think, I don't have the physical fitness standards memorized for every branch of the service.

Google is your friend...you could have saved yourself some time and effort and simply typed in "Air Force Physical Fitness," or something to that effect, in google, instead of going on to a message board and getting someone else (with a little more initiative) to type in "Air Force Physical Fitness" (or something to that effect) in google - and then reporting back to you on the answer.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
jmwSemperFi said:
That is a good lesson for everyone to keep in mind, do a little leg work before asking others so that when you do turn to others it is only for more specific information not readily available.

what kind of planes does the Navy have?

Ann Merke

I have to admit that it is fun seeing the answers to some of the questions that people ask that they very well could have looked up. That's the only reason I checked out this thread was to see if it was a joke or not... Air Force PFT? Que? Are they serious?

MNU-OCS

For one i must say, if you want to join the Marines ONLY as an air contract then your looking at the wrong branch of service. This comment was inevitable, most people joining the Marines, myself included, join because they want the title Marine, officer or enlisted, doesnt matter a Marine is a Marine. So if you are only interested in flying i suggest the airforce to you. I have also heard that if you fail at Pensacola then you will be forced into a non-flying type of MOS. Im not too sure on this, if there is anyone else that knows about this, please chime in.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The best way to get information on military.com is to go to the Marine Corps forum, go to the wannabee section and ask how you can get into recon.

KBayDog

HueyCobra8151 said:
The best way to get information on military.com is to go to the Marine Corps forum, go to the wannabee section and ask how you can get into recon.

Talk to Cranes; he'll tell you everything you need to know about the Marine Corps.

(Then look at his profile...) :rolleyes:

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Yeah marineocs.com rules.

The real hot topics are covered over there, like shaving, or what to do if you have sweaty palms on the o-course. Deep.

Also it is awesome getting "lectured" about leadership by a college kid who believes that instead of doing actual work, Marines should sit around discussing politics in the shop.

Sandwichwarrior

Hauling ass so others don't have to.
MNU-OCS said:
I have heard that if you fail at Pensacola then you will be forced into a non-flying type of MOS. Im not too sure on this, if there is anyone else that knows about this, please chime in.

Yes it is true, if you drop out of Aircrew School you will still need to serve the rest of your enlistment. But don't let that discourage you, few guys actually fail most of that infamous "3/4 attrition rate" comes from drop outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.