• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine OCS or PLC?

AGVAIN

Good day,

Just wanted to ask some opinion. I just graduated last May 2013 with my Associate Degree and now continuing my education to get my Bachelors. My question is what is the best option for me, PLC or OCS? And when I am suppose to talk to the OSO if I pursue PLC or OCS? I lived in Jacksonville, Florida and the nearest Officer Selection Officer is two hours away from Jacksonville. Thank you so much.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Id say do it in 10 weeks whether it be PLC combined if they still do that or OCC after graduating. I can't imagine going to that place twice. Seabag drag once was enough for me. I was an OCC guy in summer of 2001. Best part of that was I went straight from the PT academy known as OCS and immediately picked up at TBS upon graduation. Only downside I see to 10 weeks is all the weakness leaves the body around week 7 or 8 and only pain remains.....but hey your almost done by then anyway.

As far as talking to OSO I don't think there is such thing as too early. They can help answer a lot of your questions and prepare you if you do decide to go this way. I started talking to an OSO who was over a 3 hour drive from where I attended college a little over a year out before I graduated college.

nukon

pilot
Just FYI - no more PLC-C. Just OCC and PLC Jr/Srs (+ROTC). Get on the phone with them first, explain your circumstances and your interest, but expect that you will have to go to your OSO's office every so often.. just how often varies from OSO to OSO, so as always, YMMV.

AGVAIN

Good day,

Thank you for the reply Slingblade. I actually went to recruiter office last year and they told me as soon as I'm in for the Bachelors program at school I should come back and they will help me get in the right track. Please, correct me if I'm wrong but the best thing to do right now is to talk to an OSO to know what's the best thing to do for my situation, such as stuff need to study and physical fitness preparation? One more thing, how hard is it to get an air contract? Is it arrogant for me to tell the OSO straightforward that I want an air contract? Or I should focus first to get a slot for OCC or PLC? Thank you.

AGVAIN

Nukon,

Thank you for the advice, I think that is a good idea to call and talk to OSO for explain my interest and circumstances. Thank you.

nukon

pilot
Good day,

Thank you for the reply Slingblade. I actually went to recruiter office last year and they told me as soon as I'm in for the Bachelors program at school I should come back and they will help me get in the right track. Please, correct me if I'm wrong but the best thing to do right now is to talk to an OSO to know what's the best thing to do for my situation, such as stuff need to study and physical fitness preparation? One more thing, how hard is it to get an air contract? Is it arrogant for me to tell the OSO straightforward that I want an air contract? Or I should focus first to get a slot for OCC or PLC? Thank you.

Definitely tell them you're interested in air, but with the understanding that you first and foremost want to be a leader of Marines (which I assume is the case, as it should be). Only studying worth doing would be for ASTB. Run and do pull-ups, all the time. Start doing them yesterday. Selection is very competitive and applicants with 300 PFT's have been rejected.

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Good day,

Don't think its arrogant at all. You need to go after what you want to do. It is up to the OSO to tell you how to go about doing that....and you do the work to get there. There are alot of things you need to do to ultimately succeed at your goal and the earlier you start the better. Its all about priorities and knocking down targets as they come your way. First priority is school and getting your degree. Because none of the other things matter if that doesn't happen. As far as an air contract, I don't think it is any harder than getting a ground contract other than you have some additional requirements. ASTB, flight physical...etc. As long as you can meet the initial qualifications of what is required for someone wanting to attend flight school, I don't think it is any more difficult than putting in for a ground option contract. OSO can help you do all of that. Earlier you start the better chance you have of succeeding and getting all of your ducks in a row. Just make sure you prioritize and get things done in a proper sequence....i.e don't let things distract from your studies at school. You have time and time is a good thing. Get with the OSO and start working your plan.

Here is a good intro for you.

"Sir, I have two years until I complete my undergraduate degree and I am interested in challenging myself to become an Officer of Marines. Additionally I am interested in pursuing an air contract."

Here is some OCS motivation of some hard ass Officer Candidates.

ocs177.jpg

Slingblade

Huge Member
pilot
Definitely tell them you're interested in air, but with the understanding that you first and foremost want to be a leader of Marines (which I assume is the case, as it should be). Only studying worth doing would be for ASTB. Run and do pull-ups, all the time. Start doing them yesterday. Selection is very competitive and applicants with 300 PFT's have been rejected.

Agree on your opening statement. The Physical fitness part is important as far as preparing for the physical rigors of OCS......but an applicant with a 300 PFT getting rejected I am thinking there has to be more to the story (Like an Alcohol Related Incident, some past misconduct). I don't care if a guy can PT his ass off if otherwise he is an ass hole in most other areas. Its all about a whole person concept. My undergrad GPA was 2.3 (and I am not proud) but I had no issues because I was strong in other areas, and the OSO saw my commitment to preparing myself for OCS. I'm not saying blow one thing or another off....strive to be the best in all areas to prepare yourself and give yourself the best chance of selection. At the same time don't get wrapped up in one particular area. Be as strong as you can in all areas without distracting from others. Once you have Lines of Communication with an OSO they can guide you.

SYNOPSIS: Go talk to an OSO and tell him what you want to do. Come up with plan. Execute Plan.

BAMCIS will work for you.

AGVAIN

Slingblade and Nukon,
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. I will contact an OSO, and I will definitely update you. Thank you.

AGVAIN

Slingblade & Nukon,

I talked to the USMC-OSO today and gave me him all the information about me. He told me he's gonna contact me, to meet up and talk about my plan in becoming a Marine Officer. I will keep you posted.

nukon

pilot
Here is some OCS motivation of some hard ass Officer Candidates.
[pic]

R.I.P rolled sleeves.

Butz - Sounds good. Be prompt, polite, and professional. That meet up is essentially a job interview, the OSO is the man who will either go to bat for you and your application, or won't..

AGVAIN

Nukon,

Thank you for the encouragement and for giving me some tips. To be honest, I'm looking forward for our meeting and nervous at the same time. As soon as I get a word from the OSO, I will definitely update you guys. Thank you again.

Christopher323

Stupid cunning and sly; bear considerable watching
Just FYI - no more PLC-C. Just OCC and PLC Jr/Srs (+ROTC). Get on the phone with them first, explain your circumstances and your interest, but expect that you will have to go to your OSO's office every so often.. just how often varies from OSO to OSO, so as always, YMMV.

Nukon, I'm sorry to semi-necro a thread, but can I ask for a clarification here?

Is it the case that PLC - 10 week isn't an option for sophomores now, but that those in a Junior status can still sign for PLC and do a 10 week OCS?

My first reading of this post scared me a bit in that I thought that it meant "No 10 week OCS/PLC period." and thus that an applicant can only do PLC-Soph or OCC. I'm sort of "in between" schools in that I'm accepted at a 4 year and my sophomore/junior status is pretty malleable based on credit earned over the next 4-6 semesters. If the above "sophomore or bust" thing were true, I'd have to start fighting for soph. status right now.

Thanks.