• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double

I was talking with a Navy Officer Recruiter and he told me that he didn't think that it would be as difficult to get jets in the Marines because most people who want to fly for the Marines want to fly Helos. Can anyone comment on whether there is any merit to that statement? Like I said before, he also told me that 85% of Navy SNAs want jets but probably no more than 30% gets them at any given time. If there are any Helo Pilots out there, I'd really like to hear what they have to say about flying copters.

Chris

Rainman

pilot
No merit. Out of the last 50 or so Marine Aviators I've spoken with maybe 4 WANTED helos and like 3 wanted Maritime (C130s) We're all going for jets!

Semper Fi

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Regardless of how many SNA's want Jets, the fact is that less then 1%of Marine aviators are Jet Jocks. Does it make a difference on the aircraft? It may seem like it does, initially, but you will still be a Marine officer. Hero's fly all aircraft. Jets: John Glenn (Navy Cross), Ted Williams (Silver Star), Joe Foss(CMH) and Marion Carroll (Navy Cross). Helo's: Steve Pless (CMH), Joe Roman(Navy Cross) and my favorite 1stLt Robert Hein, my dad (7 distinquished flying crosses and a silver star). I don't have a name for C130's. If you have one, post it. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ghost_ttu

Frumby, I thought about you last night when i was watching a show on Harriers and their role during the Gulf War on Disc. Wings. It had a couple Jet Jocks featured, both were shot down during Desert Storm one was taken POW, and the other rescued by Marines.

Rainman

pilot
Sir,
I didn't think that was the question. Of course there are heroes and each platform is vital to our national security, but as far as what initial aspirations are. . . . . .Every Marine I know LOVES their aircraft. As far as the 1% goes, that seems pretty low. .considering the percentages getting winged and just counting the squadrons.

Semper Fi

Double

Major Frumby,

I appreciate the response. I realize that machines don't win wars. MEN win wars, and of those men, the Marines are second to none. I just like to have some sense that if I work harder and fly better then the rest of the SNAs, that I could fly my dreamcraft. I would still be happy flying helicopters for the Marines. It's just that all things being equal, it would be nice to be sitting on an ejection seat when the AAA and SAMs start flying. Not to mention that you fly over the hot zones at 500kts as opposed to 140kts. What do you say about it Major Frumby? Did you feel as though you had no control of what platform you would be selected for? Did you get jets because you worked harder than everybody else or do you feel that you were just naturally a better stick? I would be very interested in hearing any stories or advice that you might have from API and Primary. Thank you,

Chris

Double

Jarhead,

Thanks a lot for your 2 cents. It was extremely helpful. I didn't quite understand why you suggested to not profess any preference to a particular platform during primary. I'm guessing that you said it because you may find out that what you want to fly at the end of primary won't necessarily be what you were wanting to fly during your first couple of FAMs. I'm curious to know what you were doing before flightschool. We're you enlisted with the Marines already? Did you make a lateral change as an Officer?

As you can see on my profile, I study languages, and I'm playing with the idea of enlisting for 4 years as a linguist in one of the various branches. I know that the Military also has Officer exchange programs as well as programs for pilots in particular where they send them to another country's military or Air Force for a couple of years to facilitate interaction during joint operations. Does anyone know any specifics about these programs like with which countries one can do that? Who's eligible?

Sorry for the ranting and raving. I'm starting to sound like some curious 5 year old that never stops asking his questions. It's just that it's so hard to find info on this stuff. I appreciate the help.

Chris

thartley

I just want to let you know that women also fly fly in the Marines and may be pulling your butt out of a hot LZ. Also, don't tell the instructor what you want because that may influence how your grades fair. It seems to be a trend that people who say I want jets will get higher flight grades than those who say I want jets.

thartley

I just want to let you know that women also fly fly in the Marines and may be pulling your butt out of a hot LZ. Also, don't tell the instructor what you want because that may influence how your grades fair. It seems to be a trend that people who say I want jets will get higher flight grades than those who say I want jets.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Double,I think our Sharpshooter, Jarhead, said it all quite eloquently.

Ghost-One of those Harrier pilots is Mike Berryman. The Iraqi's broke his leg with a pipe just before he went into interrogation in Baghdad. I believe he is currently the CO of one of the Harrier squadrons in Cherry Point.

Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

ghost_ttu

I know which one you are in reference to Frumby. Made me think of you because he said that it was reported to his family that he was kia. So his wife thought that way for x amount of days until they confirmed that he was pow. Sorry to hear that your wife ever had to experience anything to that magnitude. On the bright side, she got a much better outcome than some, and probably a better outlook on your marriage, and life.

thartley

I meant those who say I want jets will get higher grades than thos who say I want helos. Sorry for the confusion.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Double,
You don't have to enlist to become a linguist. Taking nothing from the enlisted side because they are indeed the backbone of the Corps but you did say that you wanted to fly. Well, you can do both as a pilot. In fact, it will be encouraged and you will be paid extra if you can show your competency in a foreign language. The Foreign Area Officer (FAO) program will provide you the opportunity to enhance your gift at language. Consider it after your first tour in a fleet squadron. Col Ford, the old MATSG-22 CO in Corpus Christi was an FAO. Anyone who knew Col Ford knew he was a good ol southern boy from Alabama and a Cobra pilot. What most did not realize was that Col Ford speaks and writes Arabic...fluently! In fact, he was pulled from his ship back in 1983 to help the Marines, liguistically, in Beirut. Unfortuately, a motivated individual drove a truck bomb into the barracks next door to the Col's barracks. Point being is that he was able to help with his knowledge of the language and so was a valuable asset to the Corps. You can do the same if you so desire.
Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I've really enjoyed reading all the replies. I joined the Corps in 94 as an 0341. I did 2 West-Pacs with 1/1 made it to Sgt in 4 years. Our Plt (81's) did a lot of "hip" shoots out of helo's. That is when my passion for flying was obvious. I then got off active duty and enrolled in my home town Univeristy and also enrolled the the PLC Program. I contracted as AIR. I just graduated and commissioned this summer. Now I'm awaiting orders to TBS which will happen any day now. I'm getting more and more nervous about API, mainly because I'm a worry-wort. I'll be happy as long as I'm in the air, with the Corps. I've been flying a Cessna 172 and I can't get enough. Are you so emcompassed in your learning that it is hard to enjoy the FAMs? When in training to you get assigned your aircraft? What determines if a student get sent to Corpus or Whiting?

Status
Not open for further replies.