• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps NFO to Pilot Transistion

Lamar Beacham

My OSO does not have any pilot slots available for OCS candidates for the Winter 2012 and Summer 2012 classes. I would like a shot at being a pilot, but you don't always get what you want in life. He did offer me an NFO slot. I'm turning 25 this October. Would there be any chance in the future for me to someday transition from an NFO to a Naval Aviator if I chose to go the NFO route considering my age?

Note: I have no problem being an Marine NFO. I would be honored to be one. It's an awesome MOS to be riding in Hornets and Prowlers with your hair on fire. Hell... I would be honored just to earn a commission in the Marine Corps regardless of what my MOS could be. I only ask the question above to fuel my curiosity because I can't deny the fact that I have always had a desire in my heart to be a pilot.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you want to be a pilot wait for a slot or go to a different office and "shop" around. Don't be that NFO guy who really wants to be a pilot.

81montedriver

pilot
To answer your question, yes it is possible. However, by the time you are eligible to transition i.e. probably served a full first tour in an AD squadron, you probably would have been in for about five years. Additionally, they probably give out one or two transition spots per year. So you basically need to be a water walker.

Something else to keep in mind, NFO's are going away in the Marine Corps. Hornets will be completely gone in the next 5-6 years and Prowlers will be gone by 2019. After that, we have no other aircraft that require NFO's.

Definately agree with Swanee though. Don't be one of those NFO guys who really wants to be a pilot.

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Just wait it out man. Like stated by montedriver. NFO's are going away, so you might as well give it a bit of time and see, versus settle for something in which you'll have to find a new job in about 5-6 years or less. If you want to be pilot, then do what you need to reach that.

Lamar Beacham

If you want to be a pilot wait for a slot or go to a different office and "shop" around. Don't be that NFO guy who really wants to be a pilot.

Thanks for the gouge, folks. I might as well wait and see what comes around for the October 2012 and January 2013 classes. Swanee, what do you mean by "shop" around?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks for the gouge, folks. I might as well wait and see what comes around for the October 2012 and January 2013 classes. Swanee, what do you mean by "shop" around?

My OSO didn't have any slots left for 200 when I applied, but another office did that they couldn't fill. Apparently some black magic happened and the slot offered to me through my OSO from another office. I'm not sure that you could do that again as this was in the plus up not the draw down, but it couldn't hurt to call other OSO's in other areas of the world and ask if they have any slots that need to be filled. You may be able to get that magic happening just by making some calls. The worst thing someone can tell you is no.

Second, try every service. Everyone says (Insert Service here) Officer first, Aviator second- and that is true- but if you wouldn't mind being a Naval or Marine or CG or (Gasp) AF or Army officer run applications for them too. There is also the ANG, you can rush their units like you rush a frat and get picked up off the street to go to pilot training for them. I was applying Navy, Marine and Air National Guard when I got the call from the Marines first. When I told the Navy and ANG guys that I had decided to go with the Marine slot (because they had the first one available) it was congratulations and good luck all around- no hard feelings anywhere.

Lamar Beacham

My OSO didn't have any slots left for 200 when I applied, but another office did that they couldn't fill. Apparently some black magic happened and the slot offered to me through my OSO from another office. I'm not sure that you could do that again as this was in the plus up not the draw down, but it couldn't hurt to call other OSO's in other areas of the world and ask if they have any slots that need to be filled. You may be able to get that magic happening just by making some calls. The worst thing someone can tell you is no.

Second, try every service. Everyone says (Insert Service here) Officer first, Aviator second- and that is true- but if you wouldn't mind being a Naval or Marine or CG or (Gasp) AF or Army officer run applications for them too. There is also the ANG, you can rush their units like you rush a frat and get picked up off the street to go to pilot training for them. I was applying Navy, Marine and Air National Guard when I got the call from the Marines first. When I told the Navy and ANG guys that I had decided to go with the Marine slot (because they had the first one available) it was congratulations and good luck all around- no hard feelings anywhere.

So should I talk to my OSO about this or go ahead and make the calls?