• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine CH-46E Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Just landed the JetRanger at Whiting and saw that a Phrog is down - anybody got any news? I've got a lot of buds and former students over there right now - this is not what I wanted to hear.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Only thing I that I caught was that 12 died in the accident. Mechanical not enemy fire. 4 Marines (crew) and 8 British Commandos. No names released yet.

Dave

Hudson

It was 16 total. 4 Marines 12 British Comandos I think. They are still investigating the cause. They were miles inside Kuwait so they have ruled out enemy fire at this point.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
16 was the original number reported, then it was changed to 12. The 46 was returning from Iraq after picking up the British Spec Ops guys.

Dave

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Just saw on CNN that the pilot of the CH-46 was from Illinois. He was Captain Ryan Boprie (spelling is based on my judgment so dont quote me). Just thought that you might want to know 46Driver. Certainly, he stands for all that the Marines and the US are know for. God Bless the Marines and the Captain's family and loved ones.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Correction: Capt. Ryan Beaupre.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
MSNBC reports that it was on its way back from a mission in Iraq at night in low visibility, a half to a quarter mile or less. Pilots wore night-vision goggles, but a thick cloud of oil smoke blinded them.

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Thanks for the info. I just caught some of it on the news myself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
And Maj Jay Aubin--real good guy. Damn shame, but these things happen in this job. If you're not ready for that, you choose another profession.

Phrogs phorever

Status
Not open for further replies.