• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Many ChemE's in NUPOC?

frigid

This is my first post to ANY forum so please excuse any glaring mistakes made on my part. Disclaimer aside, I am a recent chemical engineering grad from UCLA with a 3.14 GPA. I have no prior military affiliations (ROTC or anything like that). I am physically active and in the process of training for the PRTs. I have the usual questions that all prospective nukes on this board tend to have "what are my chances of getting in?"

Several of the posts I've read seem to indicate that the Navy is looking for nukes but all of these were written at least 2 years ago. Has anyone heard a more recent rumor regarding this?

Lastly, I have a question about recruiters in general. Is it typical for a recruiter to make you think that it is very likely that you will get accepted into the NUPOC program? I get the impression that my recruiter is being overly optimistic about my chances. He says that he is on "the board" so I shouldn't worry too much and just make sure that I'm in shape.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is my first post to ANY forum so please excuse any glaring mistakes made on my part. Disclaimer aside, I am a recent chemical engineering grad from UCLA with a 3.14 GPA. I have no prior military affiliations (ROTC or anything like that). I am physically active and in the process of training for the PRTs. I have the usual questions that all prospective nukes on this board tend to have "what are my chances of getting in?"

Several of the posts I've read seem to indicate that the Navy is looking for nukes but all of these were written at least 2 years ago. Has anyone heard a more recent rumor regarding this?

Lastly, I have a question about recruiters in general. Is it typical for a recruiter to make you think that it is very likely that you will get accepted into the NUPOC program? I get the impression that my recruiter is being overly optimistic about my chances. He says that he is on "the board" so I shouldn't worry too much and just make sure that I'm in shape.

Is there any reason you don't want to believe what your recruiter is saying? He is the one with the information about the program. IMO, I would trust your recruiter more so than the rumor mill.

frigid

Frankly, I would have rather heard him say "You will not make it unless you work your @ss off." The way he says it, I should be able to kick back and just sail into OCS no problem. It just makes me wonder if I'm getting the full story from him.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think your recruiter will tell you what you need to know. Especially if he's a nuke himself. I would suggest you prepare yourself physically (not just the mins) and let him direct you in putting the most competitive package together for submission.

I would suggest that not many things are "easy" in the Navy, so I would prepare to spend some time and effort in your endeavor once accepted.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Frankly, I would have rather heard him say "You will not make it unless you work your @ss off." The way he says it, I should be able to kick back and just sail into OCS no problem. It just makes me wonder if I'm getting the full story from him.

There ought not to be anything particularly difficult about being accepted into the program if you're qualified. Apparently, you are - no reason to "work your ass off" at this point, as there'll be plenty of opportunity for that down the road. ;)

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Nukes are something that the Navy is always looking for. Don't let the recruiter fool you though, just because you're well qualified for OCS, being a Nuke officer is a tough job, you'll work long hours and have a ton of responsibility as a JO.

Good luck, as a chem-e guy you should grasp the material fairly well.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I am a recent chemical engineering grad from UCLA with a 3.14 GPA.

That'll pretty much qualify you for NUPOC. Your recruiter isn't blowing smoke up your ass. Basically, the first step is to screen for the interview in DC. They'll look at your transcript, but having a 3.0 in any engineering degree is pretty solid.

Once you get to DC, the spot will be yours to lose.

frigid

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your help. Does anyone know what type of awards or whatever the term may be available throughout the OCS process?

As a rule of thumb, if I have a question off-topic should I start a new thread or continue to ask within this one?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your help. Does anyone know what type of awards or whatever the term may be available throughout the OCS process?

As a rule of thumb, if I have a question off-topic should I start a new thread or continue to ask within this one?

Like pats on the back and candy bars? Ribbons and medals?

OR are you looking at NUPOC for the $$$$$... :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

State your question. I'll move it as needed.

Brett

frigid

I never mind a cookie for a job well done.

I read somewhere that there is an academic badge to be had if you maintain an average of 97% on all tests. Was that referring to nuke school?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I read somewhere that there is an academic badge to be had if you maintain an average of 97% on all tests. Was that referring to nuke school?

That academic badge is for OCS. I think it's for being in the top 10% academically of your class. Honestly, don't worry about that shit. That "award" entails wearing a name tag that says "Academic" over your nametag for a couple of weeks while you're a candidate officer (final phase) at OCS.

Once you commission, it'll mean zilch. If you get it, fine, but to be worrying about that now is really useless.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I can see it now, the guys running A-pool "Um, yeah, Ensign "Academic"....you might wanna go check your nametag there bud...."