• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mandatory Hair cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
golfchic said:
Does anyone know if females recieve a mandatory hair cut when they enter OCS?
Every candidate gets the same buzz cut, you know, with equality of the sexes and all. You'll look like GI Jane for a few weeks, but it grows out pretty quick. Subsequent haircuts are less extreme.

Good times,

Brett

lthackston

Actually, every candidate does not get the same buzz cut. Male cadidates get a complete buzz (as close as the trimmers will get) and the females get their hair cut to within an inch or two. Our class decided that the difference was so that the DIs could tell the males from the females.

Jamie Erickson

Whoever's telling you that you won't have to cut it shorter than chin length is full of ****. I graduated over 5 months ago and my hair still isn't chin length. They cut it so it's about an inch long and you get it cut every two weeks.

kiesha.jackson

It's just to bad that certain textures of hair do not grow back as quick as you think. My hair is kinky and if it is cut to the shoulder it will turn into an Afro. So, it’s much harder to maintain a professional look when you don’t have the type of hair that will just lie down. However, when it is longer it is easier to maintain; I would just put my hair back in a quick bun of controls that look need and professional. I believe as long as the female keeps the hair up and pinned than they should let you keep the hair. I see way too many girls looking like Chia Pets or like a bolt of lightning has struck them.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
In the Navy, in boot and as well as OCS, the hair will be cut to be maintained within regs without a bun- that means it will be cut about the collar. The Navy is the only service to do that (as far as I know).

jan0313

haircut

Well I will be glad when my hair gets cut cause its way too long and its better when its hot anyway.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Here is the final word according to the OCR (Officer Candidate Regulations...you will learn to live by these). All female IC's (indoctrination candidates) are required to have their hair cut to no more than 2 inches. After the indoctrination phase, OC's are allowed to grow their hair out according to Navy regs. That said, some Drill Instrustors interpret the "off the face and collar" to mean that your hair can't fall in your face, and they require their females to get their hair cut every two weeks (you can't wear pins or anything in your hair until you became Candidate Officer). Some don't. Sometimes it depends on your hair. So basically its just the luck of the draw if you can start to grow out your hair at OCS. I was lucky and only cut it once after the intial cut (and that cut was on liberty to "fix" my hair).

All of that said, hair is hair and the cool thing about it is that it grows back and you don't have to do anything to get it to grow back. It sucks, yes, but after your first Wednesday at OCS, you will be glad to not have hair to mess with. I had long hair (to my elbows) before I went to OCS. I cut it to my chin and donated before I went to OCS. You get used to short hair quickly and to me, its a very small price to pay for the goal you are attaining.

EngineGirl

Reactions: bch

T-man

I could ask a similar questions about Males in Marine OCS... I've been buzzing my head (short as the clippers will go) for about 5 years now. Will I still need to stand in line and sit in the chair when I go to OCS just so they can run the clippers over my head and cut absolutely nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.