• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Man-cave/I-love-me wall ideas?

Maybe I’ve been doing something wrong, but the house is basically my wife’s to decorate, but I have a tenuous foothold in the garage. We just purchased a mountain home, and I think I get a room and maybe the garage again to decorate. I’m looking for ideas on decorating “my room” in the cabin, as well as maybe the garage.

themes (largely, but not necessarily in order):
-my military career: Navy OCS, nuke/ENTERPRISE, SBU-12, ANGLICO
-WW2 GPW/MB jeeps
-old Chevys (I have a ‘71 El Camino and ‘68 Camaro)
-my family’s military service: a stateside army cook in WW2, a WW2 PC boat Machinist, an ARVN infantry advisor in Vietnam, a Marine in Iraq
-wooden-stocked/military firearms
-hunting pheasant, quail, deer, and antelope.
If you have ideas, related to these or from your personal set-up, please let me know.
I’m working on a table similar to 30313
And I bought this model to put on top of it: 30314
A few more ideas, but I’ll wait to post until they’re more fleshed out.
Thanks in advance!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Is the carrier wood or plastic? Where did you buy it from? Cost?

I’ve been thinking of getting a TR model to go with my airplane models.

It’s plastic, about 3.5 ft long. I bought it (assembled) off eBay. It was “local pickup only” but the seller was nice enough to take it to the ups store. It arrived largely intact, but I need to repair some of the finer details. I also want to switch the air wing to what I had and add a bit more detail.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If you did time with ANGLICO and SBUs I'd recommend a "recon paddle." I got one from my guys many years ago when I left the Corps and went to AOCS. It was pretty basic...they essentially took a busted paddle from the boat shed and painted my name on it! Newer ones like the one shown below are very fancy and mancave worthy.

jmcquate

Contributor
Is the model the Tamiya 1:350 scale?

Hal. Trumpeter offers an excellent model of the TR in 1:700 scale.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Can you find old reactor parts?
OK, maybe not a reactor part, but I have a buddy that served on DD's (the last of the Forest Sherman Class) and he went to the yard where they were stripping one down, showed some old photos and told some sea stories and, Voila, came away with some kind of engine gauge and a few hatch latches. He got them cleaned up and turned them into bookends.

Next time you are in Newport News go over to the old Enterprise and see if you can get a piece or two. (or maybe a spent reactor rod ?)

Is the model the Tamiya 1:350 scale?

Hal. Trumpeter offers an excellent model of the TR in 1:700 scale.
Yup, it’s 1:350. I found star fighter decals makes decals for the air wing (2001, CVW-8) which should wake it up the model a bit. I’d also like to get some of the flight deck personnel on there.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've always enjoyed framed prints. Lots of stuff out there: pics of ships on nautical charts, lithos of ships/airplanes, etc. I've had several custom lithos made by the folks at aviationgraphic.com over the years and they do good work.

I think the other piece is what do you want to use your man room for? Study? Bar? TV lounge? Do you want a room that smells of rich mahogany or a different vibe?

I've always enjoyed framed prints. Lots of stuff out there: pics of ships on nautical charts, lithos of ships/airplanes, etc. I've had several custom lithos made by the folks at aviationgraphic.com over the years and they do good work.

I think the other piece is what do you want to use your man room for? Study? Bar? TV lounge? Do you want a room that smells of rich mahogany or a different vibe?
Good ideas, and good questions! The cabin has cedar ceilings. It’s not quite as manly as the Ron Burgandy setup I’d like, but it’s better than popcorn ceilings and white walls.

Purpose: I’d like to be able to sit and read, have a small desk, and maybe a tv (but it doesn’t need to be a home theater). It’ll also act as a backup guest BR, so either a folding couch or just room for cots if needed.

I think I’d like a nice bookshelf for books and basic display of stuff, a small desk (ideally with some character—either antique or something I practiced my welding on), and either a nice chair or fold out couch.

I’m trying to be disciplined with the whole house and keep the clutter away, while sticking with themes.

My wife is decorating the rest of the house with family pics, and she’s from Alaska so some of her stuff fits well with the cabin vibe. We’re still “negotiating” on whether the kids will decorate their rooms or we set them up as more adult guest BRs

I’ll post pics of the room when I can, but here’s the outside (which gives a basic feel of what the inside is like). Thanks to everyone for the help and ideas!

Were you SWO/N pinned?

Nice! Yes, I was lucky enough to come on the heels of some (very justifiably) bitter NUPOCs who didn’t get the chance to qualify, so the CO/RO/CHENG hooked me up. Cool find!

it’s funny, but I tend to value my combatant craft pin more, but the SWO pin definitely opened doors for me.