• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mac McCullen passed away

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For those of you who graduated from Kingsville or you old folks that graduated from Beeville (like me) it is with a heavy heart that I inform you that longtime simulator instructor, Navy A-4 pilot and Viet Nam Veteran, Mac McCullen passed away this morning from an apparent heart attack. Mac was a mentor and a friend to every student and who always had a kind word or was always available to help you learn. His loss was unexpected and it will seem impossible to replace his enthusiasm. Funeral arrangements have not been set as yet but I will relay them when I hear anything.

Semper Fi Mac!

Frumby

http://www.skyhawk.org/6e2/html/va23-nm307-a4f-oriskany69-morris-mccullen.htm

"Mac" McCullens funeral plans are as follows:

Friday, August 7, 2009 - the viewing will be held from 5:00pm ? 7:00pm immediately followed by the rosary from 7:00pm to 9:00pm at Galloway & Sons funeral home.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 ? the funeral service will be held at St. Josephs Catholic Church, Beeville, Tx at 2:00pm.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
:( He was one of the best guys there, man that is sad. Thanks for posting that sir.

Josh

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
I had lunch with Mac and Squeals week before last. It's just hard to believe he's gone. My thoughts and prayers for a well-deserved rest for him and comfort for his family.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I know Cowboy, it is hard to believe. I saw him just last week as well. We were BS'ing as usual. When I was a flight student, he allowed me the privilege to read his journal from his days on the Oriskany. I swear it needs to be made into a book. What an inspiration.

I hope retirement is going well.....wife kicked you out yet?

Frumby

Ostrich

Old fighter puke
Remembering Mac McCullen

Mac and I were roommates all through flight school. He was easily the most colorful character in our class of about 65 students. We emailed more than we talked in recent years but would get on the phone to discuss the important stuff. A big, burly man with an incredibly soft heart, he had an enormous capacity to help his students and friends. I shall remember him fondly. Barbara, Michael, Jeffrey, Vi and Chris have my thoughts and prayers this week as we all share a tremendous sense of loss. I hope to meet some of you at his service on Saturday in Beeville. The stories I have of this man in his youth are many and vivid!!!

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Ostrich,

Mac was an inspiration to me as a flight student in 89-91. I, as you seem to, loved the guy. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend and you just can't imagine how much that pains me. I would ask you to relay your stories of Mac on this Forum. He was a legend in the Training Command who will be missed by many.

Semper Fi!

Frumby

Ostrich

Old fighter puke
Frumby:

Mac tried to kill a giant cockroach with bug spray in our shitty little shack in Pensacola one night. After that I heard the thing limping around in the dark, wounded but not down. Then I heard him mumble something that included "motherfucker," followed by a tremendous explosion when Mac blasted him with his .45. I turned on the lights to see a smoking crater in the floor, a grinning Mac and no bug. I probably won't tell that story in church on Saturday.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Ostrich,
Sorry I didn't get the chance to shake and howdy at Mac's service today. I thought your contribution to the ceremony was a high point of a very classy, moving memorial. For all that couldn't be there, Mac was laid to rest in style, with full military honors, including a fly-by, rifle salute, and a bugler for Taps. He was surrounded by friends and family that loved him. Rest in peace, Friend.

Ostrich

Old fighter puke
Thanks Cowboy

Yes , it was a lovely ceremony that gave me goosebumps. The pastor estimated about 650 attendees came to honor this fine man. I'm a pretty old guy and that was the best service I've ever been to. Rest in peace, Clarence, Mokey, Bandit, Mac, Daddy. He went by all of them except Clarence.

Thanks Cowboy. Sorry I missed you.